Metal Gear & Kojima Game Collection (violentsnake)

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Metal Gear & Kojima Game Collection (violentsnake)

Post by Artemio »

violentsnake wrote:Thanks for comments about the collection. JunkerHQ really helped me starting out to find out what was out there. Added a couple more items today. My most prized possesion should arrive tommorrow or Thursday at the latest from Japan. It's the MGS Gold Corporate Shareholder Premium Edition still factory sealed, never opened. I've been trying to score one of those for a long time.
You really set your standard high by collecting factory sealed at this time (years after they are out I mean). That must have been really expensive. regarding the shareholder's one I never saw one factory sealed, just the Regular Premium Package (they used a plastic cover for them, the standard). Congratulations on that man.

BTW, do you keep a separate version opened and the sealed one? I ask becaus eit is kid of a difficult decision. For sealed games I only have Snatcher for the Sega CD, MGS1 US (original release) and Zone of Enders 2 (US). But I actually didn't intend to have them sealed, it is just that I have the first one, opened, that I got when released and later had the opportunity to get the sealed one at a good price. But I feel it is kid of liek having a signed item, it might sound strange.. but I don't like having them just signed... I rather have an unspoiled copy and a signed one (odd I know, but that is what my particular collector's gene dictates on me). Hence, my curiosity.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 Watch

Post by violentpig »

Hey, yeah I have open as well as sealed copies. For the open copy, it's usually just a regular non collector edition. If I plan on never playing the game again I usually sell my open copy as they usually have lesser collector value. I actually have some open copies I don't keep on my list, and I don't add them to the gallery. The only ones I do are the MSX games because I don't think they were ever sealed in the first place.

Take MGS for example. The only readily playable copy I have is the original PSX one I play a burned CD-r copy. But as for sealed I have the original US release, 4 japanese original release, twin snakes and the gold premium package. The tracking # shows I should get the gold premium package tommorrow or Friday. I can't wait, I've been hunting it down for a LONG time. It'll be the crown jewel in the display case heh.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

The sealed Snatcher for SEGA CD is quite a gem, I'd love to add one of those myself. The only other Kojima game I have sealed is Zone of Enders for PS2 - but only because of the MGS2 demo. That would fetch easily over a few hundred bucks on ebay!
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Admirable man. I don't know how you resist not looking at the contents, manuals and art... That is the main reason I collect stuff, to admire it from time to time.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Heh, that's why I love junkerhq! You're galleries of the items are fantastic. I definately use as a reference for collecting. I can't believe your Metal Gear 2 is signed that's crazy man. Have you ever met Kojima or did you buy the items signed? Geez this thread has kind of been hijacked but yeah I love that watch too :)
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Yes, I should split this thread and create a new one. Sorry about that.

Yes I met Kojima, pics are at http://junkerhq.net/Japan/ that' where he signed Snatcher and MG for tnhe MSX, and an extra PP. The rest I got signed via my friend (the magazine owner).
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
violentpig
Colonel

Re: Metal Gear & Kojima Game Collection (violentsnake)

Post by violentpig »

W-O-W! That's amazing man.

I'm actually heading to Japan at the end of this year. It'll be my first trip there. Right now as it stands I'll be starting the trip in Tokyo for a week then taking the bullet train to Osaka where I'll spend 2-4 days. I can't wait. I collect alot of various video game items so I'm going to be bringing back alot of stuff heh. I'm hoping to fill some gaps in my MGS collection of course :)

Japan looks alot like Hong Kong only cleaner. And I'm not saying HK was dirty, but Tokyo looks especially clean. I was in a Sega Club arcade in Shanghai that was awesome. It was only 3 floors but still it was great. I remember an arcade in Hong Kong that had an indoor roller coaster. It wasn't going at the time I was there, I think it was shut down because it didn't look particularly too safe heh.

And by the way, if there's an arcade with networked SF2 tournaments I'll dismantle everyone there. I am *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* good at Street Fighter 2. I'll give those gamers a Canadian style ass kicking with Ken heh.

How recent was your trip? Did you find anything you thought was impossible to find (video game collectible wise) in Akihabara? If anyone else has visited I'd be glad to hear experiences or see pictures taken from the trip.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I've been to HK as well, and indeed they are very different.

During the trip I found a sealed MGS PP, and several soundtracks, old 16 bit games, dvds and some toys. Nothing that special mind you, but I bought several things indeed. one of the things I didn't think I'd get were the MGS2 Kubricks though. My trip was on 2004, so it's been some time I haven't been at Japan.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

I gotta go through my pictures. There was a Konami arcade in HK. They had some really big MGS:PO displays.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

violentsnake wrote:then taking the bullet train to Osaka where I'll spend 2-4 days.
Just thought I'd give a few recommendations for you if you're looking for Kojima stuff in Den Den Town (Nipponbashi). It took me a few days to find some of the rarer stuff, but if I knew where too look, I could have saved some time-
Den Den Town
"Den Den Town", or "Nipponbashi", if you prefer, is Osaka's equivalent of Akihabara. Though it's very famous as a place to buy rare games and Anime merchandise, it's actually a place for dedicated collectors of many different goods. There's many electronic stores, record stores, and toy stores, all selling very desirable rare goods at surprisingly competitive prices. If you're not looking for anything in particular, you could end up with a lot of shopping. Through being less famous than Akihabara, Den Den Town is less of a tourist destination, and the threat of competition from other like-minded Gaijin is not as high. Though there are other, more fashionable places in town to buy this kind of stuff, the prices and variety in Nipponbashi make them a far-less appealing option. Den Den Town can be found near Namba,
A-too
This is my favourite place to go in Den Den Town. A-too is a national chain of stores that sell second-hand goods, but typically, the Den Den Town branch is full of rare games. Most of the gaming stuff can be found on the first-floor. There are large sections of the store dedicated to each console, including a huge PlayStation section. I think the fifth floor also contains a large selection of old Japanese PC games (which is easily overlooked, as they're on the adult floor). The selection can be quite overwhelming, but the staff are very friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a rare game and can't find it, ask the staff, as it's probably just hidden away somewhere. The place is open much later than most in Den Den Town, so it's a good place to go when places are starting to close for the night. A-too is on the main street of Den Den Town, and is easily recognisable for its large, yellow shop-front.
Game Tanteidan
I didn't find out the name of this place until I'd left Osaka, as the name was in Kana. Me and my friend nicknamed it "The screenshot shop", as the walls and floors of the shop are plastered with screenshots of many 8-BIT and 16-BIT games (including Snatcher, if you look for it). Though a little more expensive than some places, Game Tanteidan is probably your best choice for MSX games. There is also a surprisingly good selection of Virtual Boy games. There's a nice selection of large oddities in the glass cabinets, which I doubt anyone will ever buy, but they're certainly interesting. Game Tanteidan can be recognised by the green and black shop-front and (if I remember correctly) the selection of playable consoles sitting outside.
Big Tiger
This place is overlooked by many, as it's not strictly in Den Den Town, but it's very close. It can be found on the way to the popular "Shinsaibashi" shopping street, next to Namba Parks. Though the first-floor is a fairly standard place, selling current and last-gen games, the second-floor sells an impressive variety of Neo Geo AES, 3DO and boxed Famicom games at surprisingly low prices. I found a mint condition 3DO version of Policenauts here selling for 300 yen. This place is highly recommended, as no-one really knows about it. There is also another Big Tiger store on the main street of Den Den Town, but it's not quite as exciting. You can find some rare consoles there (including a Hanshin Tigers-branded Gamecube which I would have bought if I had more space).
Discpier
Though you could easily ignore this place for being a Tower Records or HMV style electronics store, but it's a good place to go for game guides and some poorer-selling last-gen games. This place isn't a high priority, but a good alternative if you're looking for a Japanese PS2 game and can't find it anywhere else. The prices seem to be based on each games popularity, rather than their scarcity, which is another reason why this place is worth going to. It can be found on the main street at a corner of a junction. It's on the opposite side from some of the more hardcore places (A-too, Game Tanteidan, etc.).
Sofmap
This is one of the most popular places in Den Den Town, and possibly your best option for current-gen games. Unlike many places in Den Den Town, Sofmap doesn't focus of second-hand games, but there is a floor for them, which has a lot of rare big-box versions of games (Including several Kojima Premium Packs). Sofmap can be found on the street parallel to the main street of Den Den Town (behind the A-too/Game Tanteidan side), and often has people cosplaying as maids outside. There is another Sofmap in Den Den Town, which could trick you into thinking I made a crap recommendation, as it focuses on PC hardware. Avoid that one.
Mandarake
Mandarake isn't much of a place to go for games, as it focusses mainly on Anime merchandise, but you can find a small selection of very good condition games in the glass cases. I probably wouldn't note this place, but it's where I bought my boxed copy of MetalGear 2: Solid Snake, so it's worth having a quick look to see what's in. You can also find some gaming Action Figures and Art Books here, so take your time. Mandarake is on the main street, and very noticeable for its Red and Yellow shop front. It has entrances on both sides.
Super Potato
Possibly a little over-rated, but still a nice place, nonetheless. The shop is often incredibly crowded, but you can find a good selection of games here. Super Potato probably has the best selection of Mega Drive games in Den Den Town, but you have to push yourself past some of the most claustrophobic areas of the place to get there. There's no strong focus on any speciffic console or generation here, but it's a good shop nonetheless. The second-hand console cage is worth your attention here, too.
Other recommendations
Though I've covered most of the best games shops in Den Den Town, I also feel that it's worth mentioning some other places. "Capsule Toy-Shop Super Position" is a great place for old Gashapon sets, including the MetalGear Solid 2 ones. Joshin also sells newer gaming Action-Figures. All of the second-hand record shops are fantastic, and every one of them is worth your attention if you're into obscure bootlegs and rare vinyl (there's a few of them in America Mura on the opposite side of Shinsaibashi, too). I also love "Jungle" which is a bizarre shop that looks like a converted garage, and based on the selection of incredibly cool horror and wrestling-themed T-Shirts, could have came straight out of a Grasshopper Manufacture game. Shinsaibashi is also highly recommended for its arcades, restaurants and bars, making it a great place to go with friends. Namba Parks is worth going to, just to be stunned by the look of the place, though the shops aren't particularly interesting. Going further afoot, Umeda is worth going to if you want to see some cleaner and more expensive-looking shops (including the fantastic Yodobashi Camera). Abeno-ku is a nice mix of Umeda and Namba, containing huge shopping malls of mom and pop businesses, which is good if you want to pick up some cheap souvenirs. You shouldn't really be following this guide by the letter, as discovery is what makes Osaka so much fun. Oh, and another thing: don't be disgusted by the crazy homeless people in Den Den Town; some of their quirks are fascinating (some guys walk about with tin cans attached to their heads with elastic bands, and the intricate multi-story cardboard boxes they build each night are wonderful).
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Hey 87th, thanks ALOT for the info. It will help me out immensely! I'm currently looking for some good general travel guides as well so I can study up for the trip as it's still 6 months away. That's what I did when I went to Shanghai/Beijing and another trip to later to HK and it helps out alot.

Is Tokyo as english friendly as Hong Kong? I'd assume not as in HK about 1/3rd of the population in the city seems to have a pretty good understanding of the language, but I have no idea about the major cities in Japan.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
87th
General
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I haven't been to Tokyo personally, but I have a few friends who have. Some of my friends in Osaka say that it's a little too straight-laced, and not as friendly as where they're from. Some of my British friends who have been say that it's very confusing, as most signs are written with a lot of Kanji, as opposed to the easier kana in other areas of Japan.

Here's also a few tips that I wish I'd been given before I went:

Unless you have a Visa card or Mastercard credit/debit card, you'll want to bring cash instead of relying on your card. Even if you do have a Mastercard or Visa card, you'll be hard pressed to find many places to take out cash. Most ATMs don't support foreign cards, and I found myself making long treks to the nearest Post Office whenever I ran out of cash. You'll also want to make sure you can check your balance without using an ATM if relying on your card (I couldn't and lost track of my money).

It helps to know the train-lines before travelling. Familiarise yourself with the names of stations (it helps to know how to read these in Japanese, too) you are likely to travel to and you should be okay to travel within cities.

Though 24-hour convenience stores can be found everywhere, selling food and drinks, they seem to be tailored towards students (you can find large selections of instant meals and disgusting energy drinks at these places). Food that you expect to find in a family household (such as breakfast cereals and cooking ingredients) are more easily found in Supermarkets. Deceivingly, "Family Mart" is a convenience store, not a supermarket.

If you need to buy your own toilet paper, you'll have trouble finding it in a Supermarket. You need to go to an office supplies place, as it's associated with paper in general, rather than bathroom stuff. Oh, and don't worry, Japanese-style toilets are much less common than some people make out.

Going to temples require a knowledge of the etiquette. If you're unsure on it, you're either best to go with someone who has already been, or avoid them altogether.

Don't be afraid to try Green Tea. Most restaurants serve it chilled for free. The taste is very mild, as it's basically just water with a weak herb in it.

100 yen stores are surprisingly good. They sell fairly high-quality household goods (such as plates and cutlery), alongside the usual crap you'd expect to find in a 99 cent store.

If you're ever lost in town, you should try and find a policeman. Japanese police are very helpful and (based on my experience) have a decent knowledge of English.

Giving tips to people (taxi drivers, restaurant staff, etc.) is very uncommon in Japan, and to avoid embarrassment don't try and give them. Certainly don't insist when the person refuses.

If you are planning to buy a lot of large items, get extra suitcases before you arrive in Japan. The prices are surprisingly high (though the quality usually justifies it).

If you don't have a wide understanding of Japanese, you have to accept that people will think you're an idiot. Knowing a few common words, being patient, and making helpful gestures is all you really need to do to get by.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

Hey man, thanks for all the tips! Probably the most helpful is the suitcase tip. I was probably just going to bring 2 carry ons (1 for me, 1 for my wife) and just buy what I need while I'm there. Now maybe I'll bring my own, even if they're bordering on empty.

I've been looking at their transit system. It's crazy. I've been to New York, HK, Boston...tons of places actually and nowhere have I seen anything as complex looking as their subway system heh.

One thing I notice while travelling. My stomach does not take too well to foreign foods. I had some rough times in Beijing heh. Thank god for McDonalds. It's the same thing world wide and even though it's crap food my stomach is immune to whatever I eat there.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I don't really take terribly well to foreign foods either. I pretty much survived on the fried chicken ("Famichiki") from Family Mart. Japanese Pizza is, on average, very disappointing, with an inredibly thin base. Getting a Domino's Pizza in Japan is quite similar to anywhere else, though. Japanese McDonald's only really focuses on burgers. The gyudon beef bowls in Yoshinoya are pretty popular amongst tourists too, due to a lack of strange ingredients and a very cheap price.
violentpig
Colonel

Post by violentpig »

When I was in China both times I was surprised the way food was being sold on the streets and the abundance of it. Some of the items (those that were especially "tentaclely") really made my stomach turn. My wife and I had friends that live there that told us many times that unless you're a local you'll be in for a rough time if you ate anything off the street.

There were days where I ate 3 times at McD's and it tasted exactly like Canadian McD's. What was cool though in Shanghai or Beijing was it only cost like $2-3US for a meal there.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!