What are your favorite five things to do with The Document?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

What are your favorite five things to do with The Document?

Post by Jack »

Besides reading the script for the game (that's the most valuable in there so let's rule out it), how do you have fun with the Document of MGS2? What are the things that keep you browsing it? The little touches you were able to discover about the game? The early polygon models? looking at storyboards for each polygon demo? Browsing merchandise?

Let's hear your unique take on the Document.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: What are your favorite five things to do with The Document?

Post by Artemio »

Watching the Big shell with the sun over the ocean as intended, and then playing with the static scene, it is an incredible work they made. how very simple basic geometric figures such as planes and spheres were used to create that scene, is impressive. Reflections on the water are great too.

That kind of thing is what does it for me, and for a few friends that watched it at the tiem of release and were into 3d modeling, Inspiring stuff squeezing such visuals through well thought tricks.

It amazes me that it got released though. It is like giving away all you did just to make the industry better... so that otehr game developers realize hpw to do such stuff as KP did back then, sharing trade secrets. O fcourse they are general technics, but applied in real time and on a game console.

I also enjoy reading the programming section, how they managed with the HW.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Yeah, manipulating polygon demos is awesome. I guess it shows that they were extremely confident about their work to release something like this that really offers an hindsight. Perhaps it's true that many other developers might have taken an advantage... But I've yet to see cutscenes / machinima on par with what Kojima Productions has done.

My regret is that they didn't duplicate the whole polygon demo option to have another section, where you couldn't manipulate them but watch them with audio - that would have been the demo theater the game has never received.

Edit - which Big Shell scene are you referring to in particular?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

The oil fence with the sunset.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

I like to adjust the lighting on the chara models and create dramatic lighting. I also like to control the camera around the NYC model with Arsenal Gear and try to move around the buildings without bumping into anything.