MGS4 port to 360

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
JimboKudo
Major

MGS4 port to 360

Post by JimboKudo »

Has anybody else noticed that there's a lot of info flying around that there might be a MGS4 port to the 360? And does anybody know if there's a thread of truth to these rumors?
Snake700
Major

Re: MGS4 port to 360

Post by Snake700 »

The Xbox 360 fans want the game so much, they've been spreading rumours about the game comming to the 360 so much. They've been spreading rumours ever since the game was shown at E3 2006.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Ghost
Favorite Game: Difficult, I have so many
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX2)
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2 original :D)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy Color, that's Ghost Babel;) )
Metal Gear Acid

Boktai (European)
Boktai (Japanese)
Boktai 2 (European)
Boktai 2 (USA)
Boktai 2 (Japanese)
Boktai 3
Lunar Knights

Hopefully soon Snatcher Mega CD

Post by Ghost »

Doesn't really matter if they get the game.
They would have a disadvantage though, with the exception of Sons of Liberty none of the other games has ever been released on the Xbox, thus leaving the gamers very confused about the storyline.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

LOL!

Can't happen. It was made pushing the PS3 to the limits, the 360 couldn't handle it. They'd have to strip down the cut scenes, put it on 5 double layer DVD's, and since not all 360s have hard drives I wonder how it would it play without the hard drive installs.

The red rings of death would be all over the place heh.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

violentsnake wrote:LOL!

Can't happen. It was made pushing the PS3 to the limits, the 360 couldn't handle it. They'd have to strip down the cut scenes, put it on 5 double layer DVD's, and since not all 360s have hard drives I wonder how it would it play without the hard drive installs.

The red rings of death would be all over the place heh.
Ah, I didn't think of those things. I guess it's a load of bull then. I was kinda worried, since (at least right now) MGS4 seems to be the anchor game for the ps3, and if the 360 got a hold of it then it might become less of an anchor.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Nonsense. With the recent news of FFXIII going to 360, MGS4 could easily head to the 360, as well (since I do think FFXIII looks better graphics-wise). It's just that Konami are one of the few that remained loyal to the PS3 to the end, which is good, since it makes my purchase of my PS3 worthwhile. The "filling up Blu-Ray" stuff was just PR talk, don't believe the hype.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

If they can put Dead Rising on the Wii, they can quite easily put MGS4 on the 360. We'll find out whether or not it's happening this year in the next few hours.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

It just won't happen.

I'm sure Konami shareholders would like it to as it would probably sell another couple million copies, but seriously, MGS4 is just too much of a technical monster for the 360 to handle.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

violentsnake wrote:It just won't happen.

I'm sure Konami shareholders would like it to as it would probably sell another couple million copies, but seriously, MGS4 is just too much of a technical monster for the 360 to handle.
this argument is really tired & useless. The 360 would handle the MGS4 easily if it is coded properly, however, the feasibility of MGS4 appearing on the 360 anytime soon is technically impossible for the following reasons:

1.) Time & Execution Costs: Assuming that MGS4 was never developed (even partially) on 360 hardware, the costs of doing such would just dig Konami & Kojima Productions into a (hypothetically) deeper financial hole. Wait about a year to see how well MGS4 on PS3 does; if it doesn't do well, MGS4: Substance, or a supplemental MGS property or title, on the 360 would actually be realistic.

2.) Remember how well Metal Gear Sold 2 did on the original xbox? Yeah, nobody else does either, for reasons. Even if MGS4 didn't do so hot on PS3, a port to 360 would still be riskier for re-coup, than simpling doing any of the following:

1.) More MGS games for PSP (Remakes of MGS1 would instantly make bank, especially if they added more stuff).

2.) MGS game / property for the Wii (Kojima favors the idea of doing stuff for Wii, Konami already gave Gamcube The Twin Snakes, Wii would also require less time to develop anything for since it is technically less superior than the hardcore game consoles. Nintendo would also be fully behind Konami / Kojima anything for their console for obvious r easons, especially if it were an MGS property)

3.) Acceptable Losses: to a point, Konami & Kojima Productions could lose a lot of money on MGS4, considering past successes, and the fact that MGS4 was developed on new hardware, using a new engine, and involved a lot of technical hurdles to overcome. Losses could be viewed as acceptable & necessary to the learning curve of the next-gen systems, and subsequent games would more or less be ensured to avoid certain hurdles & problems MGS4 has (most of which, couldve been avoided using 2 Blu-Ray Discs, at least, presentation wise).

MGS4 on 360? Nope.

Metal Gear Online for 360? Much more likely, and would cost waay less to do. Hell, they wouldn't even need to do physical distribution, and just make it a download via XBLA for 10 to 30 bucks.

Most XBOX 360 users would more interested in MGO anyways.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

This thread makes me do this... #-o
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Dick Motorman wrote:This thread makes me do this... #-o

I agree only when someone ignores the technical annoyances & cost it would take for MGS4 360 to occur. I would even say that such talk is premature until sales figures of MGS4 on PS3 are released.

I will say this though; as erratic & off the ball Sony's marketing has been with the PS3 (the fact that they made 7 different models, when only 2 or 3 of them were any good, all of them were either 50 to 100 bucks over-priced, and then 20GB & 60GB models, the one's most useful, were discontinued, is probably their biggest offense), I do not under-estimate the power of a few highly anticipated games (MGS4, with GTAIV bringing in a nice assist, obviously, despite not being an exclusive) to help sell enough systems to help PS3 out.

Anyone remember the playstation one's first few months? Yeah, I don't want to either.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

I agreed. And again when looking at the Playstation we didn't really see truly groundbreaking and hardware pushing titles until at least two to three years into the systems life. Sony's made some odd choices but at the same time, this isn't just another console, it really is kind of the next step in gaming/home media, so of course there'd be fuck ups.
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Dick Motorman wrote:I agreed. And again when looking at the Playstation we didn't really see truly groundbreaking and hardware pushing titles until at least two to three years into the systems life. Sony's made some odd choices but at the same time, this isn't just another console, it really is kind of the next step in gaming/home media, so of course there'd be fuck ups.

Indeed, although as well as the PS2 went for Sony (and is *still* going), the one area they screwed up with the PS2 (and never really recovered from, as Final Fantasy XI was not terribly popular) was online capabilities / support, which while the XBOX was an overwhelming failure on Microsoft's part, hinted at what the one thing they definitely brought to the table with the 360 (xbox live, arguably the most favored & used model for online, as the market has shown).

Interestingly, it seems the Wii may be in a similar position Sony was in regarding online with PS2, the only difference is that more mainstream gamers are more aware of online & use it, so Wii's somewhat limited online model isn't terribly affected as much as the PS2's was.

If anyone had taken from PSOne's first 3 to 6 months as a sample to base predictions of success, their mind's would've been blown by the later games in PSOne's cycle (MGS1, Final Fantasy VII & VIII, Chrono Cross, Fear Effect, Resident Evil are a few popular games to name that broke a lot of ground in terms of technicality & evolution of the concept of the game itself).

The PS3 seems to have hit a bit of a larger version of this snag, with Sony's greatest enemy probably being it's own past success with the PS2, while Nintendo, a long-time player, finally get's it's groove back & is moving 700k Wii's a month (also the only console maker experiencing not enough supply for demand this time around, sans the MGS4 bundle shortages for PS3). MS is still a new player, but they will be much more potent with their next entry now that they have an established audience with XBOX Live, which, if Sony & Nintendo don't find a counter-online model that rivals Microsoft's, they can bet MS will be around for a while until someone else makes a better Xbox Live.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Well PSN may not have all the fully fleshed out features that XBox live has, but it has comparable features, and it's free, which to me is the major issue.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

I'm not going to get into a debate about which system is better, I believe PS3 is better but that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I'm going to say is that I am happy to say that there is no way in hell MGS is ever going to become multi system, especially not on the Xbox 360. And don't say that twin snakes was on the Gamecube because that is not a valid point. It was made by silicon knights not Konami. therefore it is not a valid point.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

#-o
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:I'm not going to get into a debate about which system is better, I believe PS3 is better but that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I'm going to say is that I am happy to say that there is no way in hell MGS is ever going to become multi system, especially not on the Xbox 360. And don't say that twin snakes was on the Gamecube because that is not a valid point. It was made by silicon knights not Konami. therefore it is not a valid point.
By stating the PS3 is better, you already "got into" a debate about which system is better by stating your opinion. Just because you say "i'm not getting into it" doesn't exempt your opinion from being debated by others, nor does it prevent such a debate from occurring. How is Twin Snakes is not a valid point? Konami allowed it to happen, and Silicon Knights did most of the work; saying Twin Snakes is not a valid point is like saying Quantum Physics isn't valid because it isn't "regular" physics.

Whether anyone likes it or not, MGS has been multi-system for a while:

+ MGS Bleemcast! For Dreamcast
+ MGS Twin Snakes (oops) for Gamecube
+ MGS1 For PC
+ Snake's Revenge for NES (Yes, I know Kojima doesn't consider this canon, it's still a Metal Gear game).
+ MGS1 For PS2 [Essentials Collection]
+ MGS2 For PC
+ MG I & MG II For PS2 (on the MGS3 Subsistence release)
+ MG: Ghost Babel for Gameboy Color
+ MGS2 For XBOX
+ Technically, any and all Metal Gear Solid games are capable of being emulated if you have the right hardware, whether currently or in the future.
+ AC!D For PSP
+ AC!D 2 For PSP
+ Portable Ops & Portable Ops + For PSP
+ MGS4 For PS3
+ Depending on your model, you can play MGS 1 - 4 on a PS3.
+ You can also get emulated games working on XBOX, and probably the Wii, so that would include MGS1 and before, probably (If not MGS1, then games before MGS1 & Ghost Babel, since SNES/NES/MSX/GAMEBOY games are easy to emulate).

+ Potentially, if some fans had the bravery & persistence, fan ports could be made on older systems such as the Nintendo64 & below. I only mention this since a recent trend of porting newer games to older systems has emerged (final fantasy X was notably ported into an NES version & playable via emulation: http://www.joystiq.com/2005/10/20/final ... o-the-nes/ ). Note I said potentially, I did not claim this is absolutely true, so if you don't agree with it, don't yell at me for being wrong or something.
The Prince II
Runner
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

I prefer the 360. There really isn't any games I'd bother to buy for the PS3 (Heavy Rain exuent). So a 360 port would be cool, I might actually buy MGS4 if that happened.

But it's extremely unlikely IMO.
Last edited by The Prince II on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

I can't quote specifics as to why MGS4 can't appear on the 360 - I'm not that technically savvy a person - but then, I don't think most people are who attempt to dissuade/pursue the idea. I certainly have no reason to believe Konami cannot do it, nor that they will attempt it. I don't care if it takes fifty HD-DVDs to bring the (current) experience to Microsoft owners, they'll figure a way to get it out to them. All the Sony-product adverts doesn't change a thing neither.

It's just unfortunate console fanboys need to act defensive about a good game that should see more people playing it. Being a hardcore fan of the franchise, I feel MGS4 was worth picking up a PS3. It certainly isn't the only game I've purchased, but it was my number one reason. That said, I don't think a casual gamer should automatically assume that MGS4 is the game for them if they're not familiar with the past games in the series. And for those who have experienced any/all of the previous games and was not absorbed by any of them, I doubt you'd find MGS4 to be any more compelling.

It's really more of the same; polished, intensely detailed, immersive - also, long, occasionally tedious cutscenes, corny dialogue, overly sappy (and I imagine even more so if you're not a fan) melodrama. Basically, if J-RPGs aren't your thing in the way of storytelling to gameplay ratio, there's no reason to think MGS4 will be either. And I still think MGS2 has the best gameplay of the entire series.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Nitroadict wrote: By stating the PS3 is better, you already "got into" a debate about which system is better by stating your opinion. Just because you say "i'm not getting into it" doesn't exempt your opinion from being debated by others, nor does it prevent such a debate from occurring. How is Twin Snakes is not a valid point? Konami allowed it to happen, and Silicon Knights did most of the work; saying Twin Snakes is not a valid point is like saying Quantum Physics isn't valid because it isn't "regular" physics.
Dude, I said that was my opinion and you are entitled to yours. I don't want to argue about it if you think the Xbox is better then fine. I don't care what you think or anyone else, and I don't expect you or anyone else to care about my opinion. I was merely stating my opinion so everyone knows where I stand on the subject.

I get what you say about Twin Snakes. What I meant is that any game made by Konami directly is not multisystem, but apparently I was wrong. Also most of the games you said were for multiple Sony consoles. I was talking about the difference between Sony and Microsoft, not the PS2 and the PSP. If they are systems of the same company then I don't consider them multisystem.
Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Nitroadict wrote: By stating the PS3 is better, you already "got into" a debate about which system is better by stating your opinion. Just because you say "i'm not getting into it" doesn't exempt your opinion from being debated by others, nor does it prevent such a debate from occurring. How is Twin Snakes is not a valid point? Konami allowed it to happen, and Silicon Knights did most of the work; saying Twin Snakes is not a valid point is like saying Quantum Physics isn't valid because it isn't "regular" physics.
Dude, I said that was my opinion and you are entitled to yours. I don't want to argue about it if you think the Xbox is better then fine. I don't care what you think or anyone else, and I don't expect you or anyone else to care about my opinion. I was merely stating my opinion so everyone knows where I stand on the subject.

I get what you say about Twin Snakes. What I meant is that any game made by Konami directly is not multi system, but apparently I was wrong.
Way to assume things, I do not think the XBOX is better; I find it amusing that because I disagree with you on something, you automatically assume I'm for something else?. Oh well, an argument already occurred (er, is occurring now?) whether you like it or not. I find it weird that you would expect no one to disagree with on, especially on an internet forum :\.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

lets agree to stop this right here, does the internet really need anymore arguments about wich console is better than the other? I don't think so, that being said Commander_AK-47 you really need to grow up a bit.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Nitroadict wrote: Way to assume things, I do not think the XBOX is better; I find it amusing that because I disagree with you on something, you automatically assume I'm for something else?. Oh well, an argument already occurred (er, is occurring now?) whether you like it or not. I find it weird that you would expect no one to disagree with on, especially on an internet forum :\.
I didn't say you liked Xbox I was just using it as an example but for your peace of mind I'll rephrase:

Dude, I said that was my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. I don't want to argue about it if people think the Xbox is better then fine. I don't care what people think, and I don't expect them to care about my opinion. I was merely stating my opinion so everyone knows where I stand on the subject.
Dick Motorman wrote:lets agree to stop this right here, does the internet really need anymore arguments about wich console is better than the other? I don't think so, that being said Commander_AK-47 you really need to grow up a bit.

OMFG! Don't tell me to grow up! I wasn't trying to argue about anything. Nitro keeps misinterpreting what the fuck I'm saying goddamnit!
Last edited by Commander_AK-47 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Nitroadict wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:lets agree to stop this right here, does the internet really need anymore arguments about wich console is better than the other? I don't think so, that being said Commander_AK-47 you really need to grow up a bit.

OMFG! Don't tell me to grow up! I wasn't trying to argue about anything. Nitro keeps misinterpreting what the fuck I'm saying goddamnit!
I rest my case
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid