Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Boaby Kenobi

Re: Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

I think I'm going to have a marathon Metal Gear session soon. The only games I don't have are the PSP titles. I have an MSX emulator for the first two Metal Gear games.
It's just a case of finding the time to do it, but I'll need to do it soon before I go back to college.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

done with MGS3. Forth time on Subsistence/Normal. i never get a hang of what happends to the microfilms. Snake got one which he handed to the US?
"EVA" (what's her real name?) got none?
Maybe Ocelot crossed everyone again and stole the other part?

Anyway, i will speed trough Very Easy and Easy without watching the movies or anything. And i got portable ops in the mail. This time i will play it legally =D
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Post by jonthomas83 »

Potential MGS3 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Yeah I never got that either, Ocelot says he "Triple Crossed" them. As far as I was concerned EVA took one back to the Chinese which was a fake. I've forgotten a lot already! But I remember Ocelot said "thanks to Snake" he got the "real" Philosophers legacy for the U.S. - CIA (is that right?), hense triple crossing everyone. Why did he say thanks to Snake though?
Can anyone help?
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

In the phone call at the end you only hear Ocelot. And he says "Thanks to Snake" and nothing more i guess. China did not get any part of the legacy, but they got the Shagohod Data. US got the REX-data =D
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

That's cool thanks Gixo :)
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Playing though Very Easy now. And it makes use for it's name. The Mk22 puts soldiers to sleep wherever you shoot them ^^ I'm at the mountains now, 1:15h gametime when i saved.
ImageImage
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Spoiler:
Volgin actually left the real location of the Philosopher's Legacy with Ocelot all along after he thought he could trust him, and gave The Boss the fake one, which is why EVA ended up with the fake one, as The Boss gave her the fake one, unknowingly. This also explains why Volgin revealed the "location" of the Legacy in front of everybody in the torture room, he was very paranoid at this point, after finding the tracking device on the bottom of Granin's shoe, so he was testing his "comrades" by telling Snake the "location" of the Legacy. It was of course, the location of the fake Legacy. He knew the spy would reveal himself or herself afterward. It was a well set trap, but Volgin seemed to still not trust The Boss at all, which is why he handed over the fake Legacy to her. He placed too much trust with Ocelot though, for which he paid for (when he fought against Snake). Snake killed off Volgin for Ocelot, so that Ocelot could get his hands on the Legacy without anybody knowing. So, in effect, Ocelot betrayed Volgin, Russia for siding with Volgin and The Boss.
I'm really taking my time with MGS3 so far, been playing it on and off for a month now. I'm surprised at how great the game actually is. The story is good, but the gameplay is amazing, dare I say it, even better than MGS4's!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Ok thanks.
Spoiler:
So Volgin switched the microfilm in the vault to a fake. Gave the real to Ocelot. Eva stole the fake > The Boss took it > Snake got it > Eva stole it again.

Then Ocelot gave a real part to CIA ("thanks to snake"?) and kept the other half?
Completed it on Very Easy now, 2:30h...

I've read your blog. You just got to play MGS on PS1! That one is not in the list :O

and completly of-topic: the box of the GA-KO clocks so damn good

edit: it's pretty fun nerding out MGS3 =D today i carefully looked trough the MGS3 Premium Pack "making of book" and right now i'm watching Existence. I will maybe try to:
*get all fruits and animals
*shoot all kerotans (should have done this years ago...)
*hear all codecs (this is going to damn hard)
ImageImage
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Spoiler:
Pretty much. Notice how Ocelot kept trying to reveal to Volgin that the spy was EVA (like when he connects two-and-two from the smell of the gasoline that she "reeks of" as Ocelot put it)?

Not only did that help gain Volgin's trust, but also protected himself from being found out as a spy, so that he could get his hands on the Legacy. Once he got it, he no longer had to serve Volgin, which is why he leaves Snake to kill Volgin. The Boss knew that Ocelot and EVA were spies, but took no sides with either of them. It's great how you notice these things after you re-play the game, the writing is really solid on further playthroughs.
Currently up to The Fury with his pyromania and space phobia, is voiced very well by Richard Doyle. It's essentially an enhanced version of the fight against "Fire Trooper" from MG1.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

I think i'm nearly done with MGS3 this time. I've played Normal, Very Easy, Existance and now Easy. I will probably play Hard, and try Extreme and EE.

And after this i think i love MGS3 more than ever. The first time i played MGS3 i hated Ocelot. A little spoiled brat, but now i really like him. but The Boss is still my favourite in all MG. I love the part when Eva explains how she died for her country, and could do nothing about it, while Snake walks out after recieving his "BB award", knowing how used they both are.
I'm also getting used to sneaking in the jungle. I hated it at first after playing MGS and MGS2. I thought that MG should be in urban invironment. But i really have come to love the design.
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:I've read your blog. You just got to play MGS on PS1! That one is not in the list :O
Yeah it is but it used to say "Metal Gear Solid & The Twin Snakes", I've changed to read more clearly "Metal Gear Solid & MGS: The Twin Snakes". However, I won't be playing the PS1 version in the marathon, I'll be playing my PC version when it arrives. After the marathon I may well go back to play my PS1 version but we shall see.
gixo wrote:and completly of-topic: the box of the GA-KO clocks so damn good

edit: it's pretty fun nerding out MGS3 =D today i carefully looked trough the MGS3 Premium Pack "making of book" and right now i'm watching Existence. I will maybe try to:
*get all fruits and animals
*shoot all kerotans (should have done this years ago...)
*hear all codecs (this is going to damn hard)
Yeah I love the Ga-Ko clock! hehe. Geeking it out was awesome, I watched all my MGS3 Extreme dvds and loved every second of all the stuff I did to complement my MGS3 experience. Existence, scouring the net etc. All of it! lol.

Yeah I wanna shoot all the Kerotans next time around too. There's so much to do isn't there!
Henry Spencer wrote:Currently up to The Fury with his pyromania and space phobia, is voiced very well by Richard Doyle. It's essentially an enhanced version of the fight against "Fire Trooper" from MG1.
Yeah I love that part of the game, its so eerie and the sound effects are phenomenal on a 5.1 surround sound system. Since playing through the games again, I have to say having a good sound system really makes a massive difference. It is phenomenal!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

jonthomas83 wrote: I watched all my MGS3 Extreme dvds and loved every second of all the stuff I did to complement my MGS3 experience. Existence, scouring the net etc. All of it! lol.
What does Extreme feature? is it someone playing trough the game? (+cutscenes?). I actually liked Existance. A bit odd switching of the scenes here and there, and the narrator suck :yuck:. However it makes me want to do an Existance with MGS2. And i would do it if i hade the tools...

However i just watched trough this http://wiki.junkerhq.net/index.php?titl ... remium_DVD . Not so much to see... other than the females got bigger breasts in the E3 2004 Trailer :mrgreen: . Or is it just me?

I think i'm pretty done with MGS3 now. I'm playing trough Easy now, but i'm starting to feel sick of it. And i don't want to ruin the game. Anyway, this was a GREAT idea. first i did not really like the game. But now i just love it! All the cool environment, all the exploring, the sneaking, and the massive amount of material it is in it! Codecs, Fruits, Plants, Animals! Thousands way of defeating enemys.

And... The Boss :cry:

(one more thing i though about, this is maybe spoilers for PO, dont know, thats part of the qouestion...)
Spoiler:
When did we get to know that Ocelot it The Joy's, and the Sorrow's, Son?
edit: Oooh! Post 100, nice.
ImageImage
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Spoiler:
If you call EVA during MGS3, I think it's just as you're facing Ocelot in the boss battle, she says that Ocelot's mother was said to have been a "legendary soldier" and was born on the battlefield. Later into MGS3, before the battle with The Boss, we learn from The Boss herself that she gave birth in the battlefield during WWII. SIGINT also tells us that The Sorrow and The Boss were in a relationship together during the events of WWII, I think after you have the Sorrow boss encounter. It all ties together perfectly. Ocelot is The Sorrow and The Boss's son.

The thing with MGS3 is (which I like about it) that it never explicitly tells us any plot revelations, we have to tie the piece together ourselves, just like with how Ocelot got the Philosopher's Legacy, and that's why it has a unique storyline in comparison to the others. Kojima and Murata actually let the player solve the mysteries of the story themselves, since the answers are there, it only takes multiple playthroughs to get them.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Yeah, I love it, you make a good point Henry, it's nice piecing things together and in the end you feel rewarded for your efforts, it's such an amazing story.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Just played trough the last part of PO (saved there to gather soldiers, but since i got "+" now, i can get soldiers there instead i guess. However i will start playing PO again now, but on hard :)
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:Just played trough the last part of PO (saved there to gather soldiers, but since i got "+" now, i can get soldiers there instead i guess. However i will start playing PO again now, but on hard :)
Bloody hell mate, I thought you'd only just finished MGS3? PO seems to be taking me ages! lol. How'd you get through it so fast!? I'm enjoying it though.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

i already had a save near the end ;) I needed to complete it to start a new play trough. Right now i'm at Elisa.
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:i already had a save near the end ;) I needed to complete it to start a new play trough. Right now i'm at Elisa.
Ah fair enough then! Elisa sounds right to me, I was really confused then! lol.

I'm only really playing on the weekends at the moment as I don't get much time during the week, I've just got past Python, I didn't dodge his bullets or anything and just kept shooting so I used a lot of medipacks, I'll probably end up regretting it but it bored me so I just wanted to get on with the game! lol.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Oh god dammit! I'm stuck at the last battle! I know i can do it easially. Especially now when i gathered a few more Health Packs. But i always screws up. Tomorrow i have a lot of sparetime atleast, i should be able to make it.
The Extreme difficulty was still surprisingly easy :S
ImageImage
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

So i finally completed Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops on Extreme. I acutually managed to complete it in 1970 too =D

The game has some awesome moments in a few cutscenes. Since i don't know if jonthomas has completed it i will keep it in spoilertags.

This is the fifth time i played it. But it now i really like the first cutscene where Jonathan discovers that Snake is Big Boss. "Big Boss! The one who fought The Boss!". Or something like that. Anyway, i liked it because of how he shows how legendery The Boss was.

The other scene:
Spoiler:
is when Snake meats Python. I love Pythons background, how they fought togheter. Very good.
The final and most emotional scene:
Spoiler:
is when Gene has stabbed Elisa and holds her in the arms. "The future we saw where one and the same. You will defeat Metal Gear, and make a new in its place. Snake, you will bring the world to ruin. Snake, you will save... the world" At the same time you hear "Calling to the Night" in the background. I didn't feel so much the first and second time i saw the scene, since i was new to MG then. But when i played it the third time i hade played all the MG so much that it felt so close to me. I cried.
Those are probably the best things with PO. But i disslike a few things too. I actually hate how they used the ability to get new soldiers. Why have 100 soldiers which you never use when Snake can do everything. And i hate how short the maps are. You can actually run through most of the maps getting alerts and everything, and complete them in like 20-30 seconds.
I hate how only can have 4 items.

Yeah, im a confused. It's an awesome game. but i hate it.

Anyway i will now be playing PO+ and MG.

(I also completed Metal Gear Solid 3 on Easy)
ImageImage
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I still love the scene in PO when,
Spoiler:
Snake has beaten Gene, and he's exhausted. He's trying to stop the nuke, and starts shooting at it wildly, when all his soldiers join in, and go on about how he helped them, and they're returning the favor. That scene kicked ass.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Ok, so i'm stuck at the second stage of the normal mode in PO+. Roy tells me nothing. Where or what am i supposed to do? =S.

(Please hint me, i dont want the answer right in my face from gamefaqs)
ImageImage
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

PO+ changes everytime. Each level will give you an objective when you start it, but it usually involves "Find the Exit."
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

seraphssavior wrote:PO+ changes everytime. Each level will give you an objective when you start it, but it usually involves "Find the Exit."
Yeah, I found out that after giving up. I have completed Normal now. Man, this game feels really bad. I guess it's only made for the online part ^^
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Just finished MGS:PO! Awesome stuff. I echo Gixo and seraphssavior's comments about the last Elissa scene and after Gene etc. It's a very good game, of course it has its flaws but thas probably due to the liitations of the Portable conversion of the ethos of MGS, but overall its a cool game and excatly what I wanted in a MGS game on the PSP.

I'm nearly finished writing up my MGS3 document, I'll move straight on to MGS:PO and documenting my ourney as soon as it's finished.

Enter...Solid Snake, 'Metal Gear'...I cannot wait!