Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Post by jonthomas83 »

*** Use Spoiler Tags Please - don't spoil it for others ***

Hi guys,

I know I'm new and not really in a position to be starting posts like this but I just wanted to throw it out there! I posted this on a non-metal gear forum and it bombed so I'm gonna try and attempt it again hopefully with a bit of luck this time! I'm a massive fan of the Metal Gear series, as are we all, and I had an idea a while ago, before MGS4 came out, that I wanted to do a chronological playthrough of all the games leading up to and including MGS4, the latter being the final act and ultimately, the crescendo of the marathon!

Hope you admins don't mind me doing this but I was wondering, if anyone was interested in taking part, we could jot down our thoughts and feelings about the games as we progress through them. Like a Metal Gear diary kinda thing.

To many of you this may seem like a waste of time, but I wanted to put forward the idea that if anyone wanted to join in and do the marathon too, you're more than welcome! This thread could be a central discussion point for any questions and thoughts along the way!

Most of us, will have played the first 3 Playstation games, so I will be starting chronologically from beginning to end as follows:
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
  • Metal Gear
  • Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
  • Metal Gear Solid (to enjoy it in it's original glory) & possibly The Twin Snakes (solely for a more enjoyable experience graphically)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the <B>Patriots</B>
A few notes:
  • I'll be playing the Subsistance reissue of MGS3:SE
  • MGS: Portable Ops - I've never played it all the way through so this is a first for me. I may use the MGS:PO Plus add-on (tbh I don't know what it adds to the story if anything at all...anyone?)
  • Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2:SS - will be playing these from the MGS3:Subsistance reissue
  • I'm considering playing through the original MGS and then Twin Snakes just for the fun of it befor moving on to MGS2
  • I will be playing with the Substance reissue of MGS2:SOL - not that it matters, but I'll probably play the Snake Tales to go along with it too. I've never played them and it'll be interesting!
  • I've never played MGS4 before and don't want anything to get spoiled
  • As many of you will know, the Metal Gear series is much like a massive playable movie and therefore, it's not nice to know the ending before you start! This is a spoiler free project! We'll all learn and discuss as we go along (hopefully!) In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only person who wants to enjoy the experience without knowing the good bits before I start playing!

If enough people show interest it may be a case of setting up seperate threads for each chapter (Chapter 1 = MGS3 etc.) of the marathon so people don't get the other games spoiled. Or maybe even a subforum somewhere if admins allow.

If spoilers are needed, which they inevitably will be to talk about the games, then you MUST use SPOILER tags. Anyone who doesn't know how to do spoilers, please feel free to ask, or PM if you'd like to save the public embarrasment!
  • If you haven't got all the games don't worry, you can still do the marathon with the ones you do own.
  • Lastly, I will not be aiming to complete the marathon within a specific timescale, I want to enjoy the games and don't want to rush it, I also work full time and a missus so I need to divide my time wisely! lol
So there you have it, all the info you need! I started MGS3 about four weeks ago and got roughly three hours of gameplay left, but I've had lots of stalling along the way, from now on, things will be less hectic and I can move quicker through the games! Anyone who is interested in playing too, register your interest here.

You guys thoughts about this would be much appreciated, and if you think the idea sucks then please let me know and I'll close the thread and do it on my own! lol.

Cheers
Jonathan
Last edited by jonthomas83 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Re: Metal Gear Marathon: "Sons of the Guns Eater" Ops

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'd be willing to take part in this, yeah. I never got around to my Metal Gear Marathon before MGS4 came out and now I feel the need to play through all of the games again. I'll keep things spoiler-free, when I am posting my thoughts on certain characters and plot points, so don't you worry about that.

Also, I'll be keeping it strictly canonical, in the order of the timeline (MGS3, MPO, MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4). So in other words, I'm going to miss out any remakes or spin off titles (Twin Snakes, Digital Graphic Novel and the add ons; Substance, Subsistence etc) Maybe I'll enjoy some of the titles even more when I play them back to back? Who knows?

Let me know when you wish to begin. And if you ask me, this is a good idea. Hope we get some more people on board for this.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

I thought about doing this, but never got the time.

A couple of things:
Don't use PO+. It doesn't have the story mode. Stick with regular MGS:PO.

There is no difference between the storylines in MGS2:SOL and MGS2:S. They are the same game, though I think Substance has a few new (unimportant) cutscenes. The same goes for Subsistance, nothing new storywise added.

Snake Tales are standalone "One-shot" stories. They don't have anything to do with MGS2's storyline, but are still fun.

The difference between MGS, and MGS:TTS is mostly graphical, but it'd be good to play them both. I think they changed a few things in TTS, but it's been a while. Maybe do the Otacon ending in one, and the Meryl ending in the other?

And as for GotP, Be sure to use the flashback feature, and that's all I can add about it.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Superb fellas, that's already a good response!

I know there's no difference between MGS2:SOL and Sub (same with MGS3) but I only have a Jap SOL so can't play that. Just wanted to let you guys know what I'll be using for my games, looking back, it didn't really matter! lol.

As for PO+, thanks for the info, I won't bother with that.

As for starting point. As I mentioned before, I started about four weeks ago but I've gone really slowly through the game because my little bro wanted to play. He wasn't used to it though so we only had roughly three hours gameplay every weekend. Last weekend, I started to play the rest of the game on my own. Now in the past two weeks I've got near the end of MGS3. I've got roughly 3 hours left of gameplay left so feel free to start as soon as you like guys, will you be taking part seraphssavior?

It's no big deal if we get ahead of each other. So don't be worried about that. I was thinking that maybe if we get enough response, perhaps the admins wouldn't mind if we set up a different thread for each chapter of the marathon. That way any game specific spoilers are kept in the specific thread? Just an idea, but I guess we'll have to wait for more people to respond first!

I'm still undecided on the Twin Snakes thing, but if I were to play them both, I like your idea on doing Otacon in one and Meryl in the other. But knowing me, I'm a completist so I'd save at the decision point and probably go back to do both in both games!

Also thanks for the heads up about MGS4. I'll definitely turn flashbacks on. God, I can't believe how patient I've been, I've been waiting to play MGS4 for ages now and it's just sitting on my shelf! I know by doing this marathon though, I think I'll appreciate it all the more when I get there!
Last edited by jonthomas83 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Flashbacks are always on, you just have to press "X" during cutscenes when the indicator shows up. I might be joining you, but at a later date, since I'm moving back up to college this week, though I've got a whole free week after that before classes start. And as for MGS4, don't feel obligated to do a kickass run your first time. Just go through at your own pace, don't worry about unlockables, and don't think you can't kill anybody. Getting too stressed and feeling obligated to do things a certain way detracts from the storyline.

One last thing, I don't know if this matters or not, but there is an F-bomb in the middle of act 2, so if people around you aren't comfortable with heavy language, you might want to turn it down. It's before the boss fight, and you'll know when the fight is coming. Just a heads up since they've never used that strong of language in MGS before, and it caught me off guard.

So that's about it. I still wish that Ghost Babel was somehow canon, so that it could be included. It's a great game, and all they'd have to do is change a couple of things, such as introductions and a date or two. Good luck, and I might join at a later date.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Sorry, I forgot something:
There's one cutscene in act 4 that is amazing. It brings one of the storylines to a close, but you miss most of it, since you have to fight something else during the cutscene (It goes splitscreen for this part)

This is a link to a video containing the fight, so don't watch it until you get past act 4, as it contains spoilers.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECku_4T69g
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5p8ZBL0ys
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks for that info man, It's good to have a heads up on things. If you wanna play Ghost Babel go for it, I don't have it personally but I'm sure I could pick it up somewhere. It's non-canonical but whereabouts in the canon (roughly) does it come?

I'm up for that if you want. I always thought it was a MGS remake?

I'm loving MGS3 at the moment, I forgot just how good a game it is. In my opinion it's underrated. I'm thinking that I'm gonna make the most of it and watch the existance disk so I watch it movie style too!
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

seraphssavior wrote:Flashbacks are always on, you just have to press "X" during cutscenes when the indicator shows up. I might be joining you, but at a later date, since I'm moving back up to college this week, though I've got a whole free week after that before classes start. And as for MGS4, don't feel obligated to do a kickass run your first time. Just go through at your own pace, don't worry about unlockables, and don't think you can't kill anybody. Getting too stressed and feeling obligated to do things a certain way detracts from the storyline.

One last thing, I don't know if this matters or not, but there is an F-bomb in the middle of act 2, so if people around you aren't comfortable with heavy language, you might want to turn it down. It's before the boss fight, and you'll know when the fight is coming. Just a heads up since they've never used that strong of language in MGS before, and it caught me off guard.

So that's about it. I still wish that Ghost Babel was somehow canon, so that it could be included. It's a great game, and all they'd have to do is change a couple of things, such as introductions and a date or two. Good luck, and I might join at a later date.
And Snake is DA SHIT in act 4.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Can anyone tell me where the story for Metal Gear Solid on the Gameboy fits into the Metal Gear canon, is there a good place to play it? E.g Between MGS and MGS2 etc.

Are there two games? We've mentioned 'Ghost Babel' but 've only ever seen the title 'Metal Gear Solid' on the Gameboy box on anything sold on eBay.

If I can find out where it fits into the canon, I will try to fit it into the Marathon I'm doing so that I get to play it, it's got some rave reviews and everyone says they like it so I'd like to give it a go. Plus some are selling the cartridge for under a pound so I can't let that go, I'll buy the pristine collectible at a later date.

Many thanks in advance!
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Ghost Babel is the real name. Idiots at Konami of America renamed it to make it sell better due to brand association. And it would technically be between MG2 and MGS. It takes place in 2002, and the only reason it's not really canon is because Snake meets Mei Ling in each game (GB and MGS) for the first time. So if you can ignore that, it fits into the storyline, (but is never mentioned in the other games) just fine.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

OK thanks for that. I'm in two minds because my Marathon is already a mammoth task and I am desperate to play MGS4! But I'm seriously considering it! lol.

Cheers mate
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I wouldn't feel right about doing this until I've beaten each game on its hardest difficulty. MG and MG2 I've already done that, but I have yet to beat any of the other ones on very hard (or European Extreme if you're talking about MGS3). I plan on beating MGS on hard mode very soon, but that's still not the highest difficulty.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Just a heads up? Don't even try MGS2 on E.Extreme. You will NOT get past the second torture scene. No human can mash a button for a minute+ straight. I had to build a button masher to finally get past that point.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

seraphssavior wrote:Just a heads up? Don't even try MGS2 on E.Extreme. You will NOT get past the second torture scene. No human can mash a button for a minute+ straight. I had to build a button masher to finally get past that point.
Are you kidding me? It can't be that hard right? After reading that, I thought, "Well, I can probably just buy a turbo controller." But then I remembered that the MGS games can tell when you use one, darnit! How did you build a button masher?
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Lol, I am playing them all on normal difficulty cos I wan't to enjoy the stories, I'll worry about being a legend later!

Can I ask a bit of advice though... I've just finished Snake Eater and it was awesome (look out for the first review/thoughts here and on my website soon). I've just moved on to Portable Ops and I'm struggling wihth the concept of recruitment a little but I'm gonna give it a good go, the story sounds compelling at the beginning so hopefully it'll carry on and just get better.

So for the questions...

1. I've never played it before so please don't spoil and I apologise in advance if this sounds stupid and inexperienced. I have collected a few items, not many, but everytime I go to collect more items, it says 'full' or something like that. Much like in MGS3, when you can't pick up any more snakes cos you're carrying too much food already. Thing is, I'm used to this concept, but I've hardly got anything to write home about sitting in my back pack, how come I can't pick up more items?! Is this a problem I should worry about or is there a simple answer to a problem that I'm making a mountain of when it's just a tiny molehill? Please help! lol.

2. Also, what's the estimated time of completion on Portable Ops? Bearing in mind it's the first time I've played it. I'm sorry to say, I took 21 hours on MGS3:Subsistance! lol. Don't laugh, I was enjoying every bit of it...every little tiny inch! lol. To be fair, I had a slow start!

3. Also, do you guys consider Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 hard? And what how long do you estimate they will take to complete (and enjoy)?

Cheers guys!
Last edited by jonthomas83 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Yes, MGS2's torture scene is that hard. I duct-taped a cork to the end of a jigsaw and used that.

For PO, You can only carry 4 items at a time. The rest go into the truck, and you have to switch them out at intermissions, I think. As for MG1+2, I'd say about 10 hours for each, if you've never played them before. I don't remember how long it took to beat PO, but it could be in the 20+hour range, depending on how you level your characters. MG1 can be hard in spots, and MG2 is a bit easier, but both are pretty simple games.
Commander
Favorite Game: METAL GEAR SOLID 3
PSN: UsCoMmAnDeR

Post by Commander »

ive begun my marathon 1/2 through snake eater. big boss=tight
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks for the info seraphssavior, sounds like it's gonna be a longer haul than i thought! I'm not backing down though, I'm loving it at the moment.

So now I'm in the breifing section between missions on PO, shall I just put everything in the truck for storage? How do I do that? I wanna pick up more supplies for later in the game.

Welcome aboard Commander, good to have you join the forum! Also, good to have a new face join the marathon, always good to have more people to input their views. Man I could play Snake eater all day long, I love it so much! Good luck with it and let us know how you get on with it. I'll be writing my review shortly.
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

I've never played trough all games in that order. But i really wanted to do it, until you mention Portable Ops. I hate playing through that game. And i don't know if i have time to play the MSX-titles again :/
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

That's ok mate, you can play whatever games you want in whatever order you want. I just wrote what I fancied doing, anyone can play along in whatever way they want. However, you've put me right off playing PO and the MSX titles! lol. Only kidding, I'm quite enjoying PO but it's no where near as captivating as the usual MGS titles.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

sorry =D The story of Portable Ops is nice. But the gameplay gets a bit boring the third time you play it ^^ The MSX titles ARE awesome. But they got some backtracking, and alot of running around figuring out what to do. But yeah, i love the games. And i really recomend to play Ghost Babel
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Ok that's cool I'm feeling a little more optimistic now! and after all the rave reviews I've been hearing, it sounds like Ghost Babel is a definite for the marathon!
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

I mean, they are all damn good games. Why not feel optimistic? ^^ I think i will start with MGS3 after our first match in MGO world championship. I don't want to ruin my aim.
ImageImage
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Bumping this. I'm at MGS3 now. Closing the final battles soon. Now i just need to escape the prison, and i always forget how to do it :roll: . Actually i'm trying to figuring out a new way to escape, since there is so many things to do things in MGS3.
Some things are just sick thou, i mean, the Sorrow-fight, how the hell should you figure that out? I have no idea how i figured it out the first time, is it said over codec, no?

Another thing, it was said MGS4 contained thones of lines for the actors to read. MGS3 got to be more! they got like 3 diffrent codec calls for each fruit, one for each weapon, and some for nearly each location! If im not to lazy i will try to hear them all =D
After this playtrough i think it's time to complete it at Very Easy, Easy and Hard. I have always played at Normal for some reason.
And i will also watch Existence
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

gixo wrote:After this playtrough i think it's time to complete it at Very Easy, Easy and Hard. I have always played at Normal for some reason.
And i will also watch Existence
Yeah I love MGS3, it's quality! I've only ever played it on normal too. It's such an awesome game!

I watched Existence after the playthrough and it was really different, it's not great but it's ok. Let's just hope that the same people who worked on Existence don't work on a MGS movie of any sort! lol.