Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC version

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Boaby Kenobi

Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC version

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

Any fan of the original Metal Gear Solid should play the PC version, it's incredible. I got it through a deal on eBay recently and I couldn't believe how much better the game looks with high resolution. The textures are also improved, nice and smooth now with no pixelation. Here's some screens:

The only downside about this fantastic version is the controls. Using a keyboard is very cumbersome. I've been using this method and I was getting on OK until I had to fight Liquid in the Hind D. I'll need to get a controller hooked up soon.
The game runs perfectly for me on XP. I haven't tried it on my laptop though, it runs Vista and I've heard the game won't work on that O.S. Has anyone installed the game using Vista? Or does anyone know any way to get it working on that O.S?
jonthomas83
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition with Snake figure
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops & Portable Ops+
PSN: jonthomas83

Re: Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC version

Post by jonthomas83 »

Welcome aboard Boaby Kenobi, always good to see a new face!

I had this back in 2003 from amazon for a really good price, sealed. Of course back then I was younger and nothing ever stayed sealed! lol. I bought it after I played MGS on the PSX for a little, the graphics looked awful after playing MGS2. I loved every minute of the PC version and the graphics are te ntimes better, I totally agree. I've always been a PC gamer though so I am kinda bias!

Stupidly, I sold my GC Twin Snakes and my MGS and MGS2:Substance PC versions, along with giving away my MGS2:SOL and MGS3:SE, I really didn't have my head screwed on really did I! lol. I regret it painfully now though because if I am to buy them all back, they'd be in a far worse condition than the ones I owned.

In any case, I've just added the PC version to my wishlist after seeing those screens again, I'd love to play it in high-res in my marathon. You've relit my passion for PC games! lol.
Boaby Kenobi

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

jonthomas83 wrote:Welcome aboard Boaby Kenobi, always good to see a new face!
Thanks mate. Very nice collection you have there.
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks mate if you ever need a link on my site, just give me a shout.

One question, do you or anyone else know if the PS2 Controller to PC USB Converter actually supports rumble for this game? Gixo, I know you have this game on the PC, have you tried it out with a rumble enabled controller?

Cheers
TSi
Major
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid Series
PSN: TSi

Post by TSi »

use a mod on computer to connect ur ps3 controller!
Current Ebay Feedback = 21
If you have time, click the banner!
If it doesn't work, please check the backup mirror site
cacetete

Post by cacetete »

i had no problems playing mgs 1 and 2 in the keyboard.
the battle with mantis is not the same thing, and for some reason they've cutted out the fades to white that were in the psx.
you can run mgs 1 with newer video cards?
gixo
Second Lieutenant
Kojima games owned: soon...
PSN: gixo

Post by gixo »

This was the first MG i played. I used a USB-adapter to connect a Dualshock to the computer.
Spoiler:
And when fighting Mantis i used the keyboard ^^
ImageImage
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Thanks guys, I know I can play it with a PS2 Dual-shock pad through the USB adapter, but does anyone know if the rumble works? Or if the game even supports it?

Cheers fellas.
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

i don't remember if it had rumble or not. However i never got the rumble in my adapter to work anyway, but it have support :S
ImageImage
Boaby Kenobi

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

This version of MGS works fine with Vista. I installed the game without any errors and I then acquired a crack for it from a site. I never tried the game without the crack so I dunno if it will work without it. If you want to install this game and you're using Vista then PM and I'll give you the details on how to get the crack.
A.G.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid

Post by A.G. »

I have no idea how you guys can prefer the PC version over the original PlayStation version. The MGS1 graphics were meant to be blurry. You had to do that because the game didn't have the actual details. If you looked at those textures in a blur it worked. As soon as you punched up the sharpness the outdated pre-renders were VERY obvious.

I may be in the minority on this, but I prefer the PlayStation version.
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

I don't think it's the blur that's bothers me. It is the pixelation. I never had a PSX, and after playing MGS2, it was very hard to go back and play MGS for the first time on the PS2 because the graphics were dreadful in comparison. I know it's lame, but I wanted to experience it using the best graphics. I don't really know the general consensus, but that is one of the reasons I am probably one of the bigger fans of TTS on this forum. But that's a whole new thread so it's probably not best to start on that one in here! lol.

I played the PS1 version on my PS2, hated the graphics, baught the PC version, loved it and wanted to play it again so baught TTS because the graphics were even better. I've always been one for the best graphics, but I know that they're not everything.
A.G.

Post by A.G. »

I personally still play PSone games on my original PlayStation. They just look better. Though now on the PS3... with 1080p and HD output the old system maybe heading for retirement.
I don't really know the general consensus, but that is one of the reasons I am probably one of the bigger fans of TTS on this forum.
....... well....... I love MGS1. I liked the MGS2 graphics. And TTS was the biggest slap in the face for a fan like me. 3 years after MGS2 and on a stronger game console, they STILL messed up. But you’re right, it’s not the thread to talk about it. Though you should check the Alternate section on my site and read the TTS material.
METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2010
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

I have both MGS 1, and MGS 2 on the PC....and played them with my Logitech "dual Analog" controller.

The games are great on the PC! (beat them ALL on the consoels first though).

It's a shame that MGS3 was never released for the PC, and probebly won't ever be...along with MGS4.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Ninjax008
PSN: ninjax008

Post by Ninjax008 »

I recently got this off Amazon & i gotta say i'm impressed with resolution. I do need to find my PS controller adaptor as i cant get used to using the keyboard :D
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Ninjax008 wrote:I recently got this off Amazon & i gotta say i'm impressed with resolution. I do need to find my PS controller adaptor as i cant get used to using the keyboard :D
Yeah it's tough getting used to the keyboard, it seems strange for a MGS game, if you can't find it mate, play.com are selling PS2 - USB adaptors for quite cheap, that's where I got mine years ago.

Anyone got any updates on whether the adaptor and game support rumble/vibration through a USB - PS2 Dual Shock yet?
Boaby Kenobi

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

I haven't tried using a controller with it yet. I might try and get my PS3 pad hooked up to it.
Does anyone use their PS3 pad on their PC? I download some drivers to do it a while back but I couldn't get it to work.
RandommodnaR
Runner

Post by RandommodnaR »

I also own both games, MGS Integral and Substance for the PC. A quick word of advice for you.

DON'T USE the keyboard with MGS2. I literally had to play for weeks until i got the hang of them. Also, a Dualshock controller's a must.
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
Sevket
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-U)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions DEMO (NTSC-J)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Platinum (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (NTSC)(BOOTLEG)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PAL)(SEALED)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Collector's Edition (NTSC-U)
Metal Gear Solid: Bandee Desinee DVD
PSN: Sevket
Xbox Live: SevketErhat

Post by Sevket »

I have only played the PC demo. Does Twin Snakes look much better than even PC version of MGS ? I am considering to buy Twin Snakes lately
If you want to sell your MGS Promo Discs or Demos please contact me

My Metal Gear Collection
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... ?start=all
jonthomas83
Major

Post by jonthomas83 »

Sevket wrote:I have only played the PC demo. Does Twin Snakes look much better than even PC version of MGS ? I am considering to buy Twin Snakes lately
Twin Snakes is a whole new engine for Nintendo GameCube and Wii, it uses the same engine as MGS2 so yeah it does look better. But if you want the real MGS experience with better graphics, chose the PC version.

BTW, I got my MGS PC copy (one I had to re-buy after selling my original a couple of years ago) yesterday fellas and I forgot how awesome it is. The rumble doesn't work but nevertheless a dual shock controller is the only way to go for an authentic playstation-like experience. If anyone knows of a way to get the rumble to work, please let me know.

I cannot recommend it enough, the graphics really are a cut above.
Sevket
Runner

Post by Sevket »

jonthomas83 wrote:
Sevket wrote:I have only played the PC demo. Does Twin Snakes look much better than even PC version of MGS ? I am considering to buy Twin Snakes lately
Twin Snakes is a whole new engine for Nintendo GameCube and Wii, it uses the same engine as MGS2 so yeah it does look better. But if you want the real MGS experience with better graphics, chose the PC version.

BTW, I got my MGS PC copy (one I had to re-buy after selling my original a couple of years ago) yesterday fellas and I forgot how awesome it is. The rumble doesn't work but nevertheless a dual shock controller is the only way to go for an authentic playstation-like experience. If anyone knows of a way to get the rumble to work, please let me know.

I cannot recommend it enough, the graphics really are a cut above.
Thanks for the answer.

I really hate playing games in on PC but I'll give it a shot

My Metal Gear Collection
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I definetly prefer the pixelated graphics. The ones for the pc version may be better, but it looks like it's a nintendo 64 port or something with the way the graphics look. I played the pc version before I played the PSX version, and I still prefer the psx one. It's not like I didn't notice the graphics being of poorer quality. The graphics on the pc version remind me a lot of when movie companies take a 1940s film and "remaster" it for dvd. During the process it loses something.
Sevket
Runner

Post by Sevket »

JimboKudo wrote:I definetly prefer the pixelated graphics. The ones for the pc version may be better, but it looks like it's a nintendo 64 port or something with the way the graphics look. I played the pc version before I played the PSX version, and I still prefer the psx one. It's not like I didn't notice the graphics being of poorer quality. The graphics on the pc version remind me a lot of when movie companies take a 1940s film and "remaster" it for dvd. During the process it loses something.
I recently finished MGS on PS3 and the graphics didn't seem bad too me after all these years. I really need to try the PC version though. Some might not like the idea but I am pretty sure wired XBox360 controller works perfectly with this one

My Metal Gear Collection
gixo
Second Lieutenant

Post by gixo »

Sevket wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:I definetly prefer the pixelated graphics. The ones for the pc version may be better, but it looks like it's a nintendo 64 port or something with the way the graphics look. I played the pc version before I played the PSX version, and I still prefer the psx one. It's not like I didn't notice the graphics being of poorer quality. The graphics on the pc version remind me a lot of when movie companies take a 1940s film and "remaster" it for dvd. During the process it loses something.
I recently finished MGS on PS3 and the graphics didn't seem bad too me after all these years. I really need to try the PC version though. Some might not like the idea but I am pretty sure wired XBox360 controller works perfectly with this one
the XBOX360 controll has a bit bulky D-pad. And thats the one you need to use with MGS ;). Others than that it should be fine :)
(fanboyism is very imature)
ImageImage