Drama CD Metal Gear Solid fan-translation

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

If you check the thread there, someone appears to be doing it. I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Osiris wrote:I think it's still possible to follow along the way it is right now. Do you find it hard?
Actually, not so much. It's just that the Japanese dialog isn't always the same length the English one, so it's sometimes hard to tell whether the voices actors already moved on to the next line. Plus, I personnally have to simultaneously listen to Japanese, read English and "translate into French in my head" so it can be at times confusing lol.

Regarding the translation, I noticed you reworked it quite a lot. Is it now closer to the original Japanese or more "English-sounding" ?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Episode 2 plus MP3s is up now. http://metalgearsolid.org/show_features.php?id=767
There's a good chance there'll be picsubs for Episodes 2 and 3 too.

To answer your question, Spike, I guess I would say "both". Yes, I did rework quite a bit of Johnny's original translation. There were some places where it deviated from the Japanese, so I made changes to it as necessary. I also tried to go for more colloquial renditions even with parts that were grammatically correct. Thanks again to Johnny for allowing me this privilege.

My translation philosophy might best be described as "method translation". You've heard of method acting, right? Here's a one-line summary from Wikipedia:

"Method acting is an acting technique in which actors try to replicate in real life the emotional conditions under which the character operates, in an effort to create a life-like, realistic performance."

This is basically what I do when I'm translating. I get into the characters' heads and try to search for the most natural way of expressing their thoughts.

I also use another little philosophy where I imagine I'm a writer in a parallel universe (bear with me) who is writing the exact same story but in the target language -- in this case English. I try to imagine which words I would use to portray the exact same story. Since I'm a native speaker in English, theoretically that should give me the most accurate and natural translation.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

That's intelligent. I understand you.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Thankfully you're a good enough writer to pull off a technique like that. :)
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, maybe we could share stories with each other sometime (that accounts for everybody that writes here)? I've written a few storylines myself (none are fanfiction; just original storylines with some inspirations behind them).
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

87th wrote:Thankfully you're a good enough writer to pull off a technique like that. :)
Thanks, 87th.
Henry Spencer wrote:Yeah, maybe we could share stories with each other sometime (that accounts for everybody that writes here)? I've written a few storylines myself (none are fanfiction; just original storylines with some inspirations behind them).
I've been trying to find these old stories I wrote back in grade school about me being transported to a world populated with characters from video games. When we would read our work to the rest of the class, the other kids gave it their enthusiastic approval. I know the writing will be totally elementary, but I'm still interested nonetheless.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Sounds good, and inspired, I look forward to it. I actually like a lot of stories that are more inspired than they are original, since they are kind of harder for me to like since they're just too original, and attempt to be different, if you know what I mean? I'm not throwing off all original stories in films, novels, games etc, just pointing out that, in general, that's what I tend to like.

And my storyline revolves around a murder mystery. The main story really is about a sleazy private detective who bumps into his old friend in the street, the next day, he is found dead and with no witnesses he is left with no clues as what to do next. He is however, invited by an unknown man into a world full of death and conspiracy. I'm also incorporating in various other effective techniques with luck, such as, bloody visions in the night, a chilling presence, mobsters, the supernatural, nightmares, betrayels, femme fatales, action, the question of morals and religion. A wide variety of characters will occupy the cast; I've created a total of twenty characters so far, probably make some more before beginning my story. If classed into a genre, it would be, hopefully, a hybrid; an action packed, psychological horror, mystery story with some melodrama thrown in there as well. A mish mash really.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

That sounds like my kind of story.

By the way, I figured I might use this opportunity to discuss a few of my favorite localizations. I know there are many other fine examples out there, but I'm limiting this to just games that I've played through to the end.

Snatcher
This should come as no surprise to everyone here. Snatcher was blessed with a revolutionary localization, not only in terms of the text translation but also its voice acting. It was one of the first examples of natural colloquial speech in gaming, which I think can actually be harder to do than other styles.

Metal Gear Solid (1)
A game heavy on technical terminology that sounds like it was written in English. Again, revolutionary job with the voice acting, though unfortunately successive titles have steadily degraded in quality in this respect. Furthermore, unlike other games, the entire script was voiced, not just parts of it.

Ace Combat 04
This is another game that sounds like it was written in English. I used to think it was when I was first playing it, perhaps having been then translated into Japanese for the Japanese version. The fighter pilot slang is also nigh-on perfect. I love playing through this game from time to time just for the great voice acting and script. Ace Combat 5, however, did not live up to 04's high standard in these areas.

The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches
I'd like to throw in this haibun of Matsuo Basho here. This is one of my favorite translations. It reads like the translator, Nobuyuki Yuasa, really labored over every line, which is the mark of a good translator. A joy to read.
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Spike »

Osiris wrote:My translation philosophy might best be described as "method translation". You've heard of method acting, right?
Thanks for the detailled answer above. Yes, I'm an amateur comedian myself.

Clever from you to use this method about translation.

As for me, I guess there's got one big problem with my translations : I'm always too afraid to deform the author's ideas, so my translations usually sound a bit unnatural (they're too close from the original language). But I'm no professionnal, that's it.

Anyway, would you mind giving the authorisation to translate your English translations of the MGS Radio Drama into French for the site in my signature ?
I won't be able to immediately do it, but I'd like to already have your approval anyway.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Spike wrote:As for me, I guess there's got one big problem with my translations : I'm always too afraid to deform the author's ideas, so my translations usually sound a bit unnatural (they're too close from the original language). But I'm no professionnal, that's it.
I used to feel this way too, until I realized it just wasn't possible to produce natural-sounding translations this way. I do tend to do what you said with interviews and such, though, where bending a person's words too much can lead to people misinterpreting their thoughts. For this reason, translations of non-fiction are generally more literal-sounding than fiction.
Anyway, would you mind giving the authorisation to translate your English translations of the MGS Radio Drama into French for the site in my signature ?
I won't be able to immediately do it, but I'd like to already have your approval anyway.
I don't mind (in fact it would be great), but you should ask Johnny if it's okay with him as well.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Episode 3 plus MP3s is up now. Excuse the "Coming Soon" Campbell image; I'm waiting on someone to upload the updated one.

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/show_features.php?id=767
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Very good. I just read them, I just don't bother listening to the MP3s.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I really do recommend people listen to the MP3s, even if you don't understand any Japanese. They give you an idea of the Japanese performances without having to buy one of the games (if you don't want to).
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Spike »

Osiris wrote:The next update will be cast and crew interview translations -- audio interviews with Akio Otsuka (Snake), Hoko Kuwashima (Mei Ling) and Kyoko Terase (Meryl), and text interviews with Hideo Kojima (supervisor), Yoji Shinkawa (character designer) and Motosada Mori (writer).
Well, I saw that the 13th HideChan! was about the radio drama and I wondered if it'll be translated, too.

Anyway, I'd just like to thank you again, Johnny Undaunted and Osiris, for the great translations you provided us. :smile:
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

I loved the voiceovers in MGS1, so yeah, I may listen to them later, just not right now, I like reading them as if they were a movie's screenplay, don't know why, but just appeals to me I guess.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Spike wrote:
Osiris wrote:The next update will be cast and crew interview translations -- audio interviews with Akio Otsuka (Snake), Hoko Kuwashima (Mei Ling) and Kyoko Terase (Meryl), and text interviews with Hideo Kojima (supervisor), Yoji Shinkawa (character designer) and Motosada Mori (writer).
Well, I saw that the 13th HideChan! was about the radio drama and I wondered if it'll be translated, too.
I just listened to it again (I remember listening to it when it first aired) and they only talk about it for a minute or so. It's basically an overview of it -- when it came out, who worked on it, etc. They quickly deviate off-topic to something Otsuka worked on before (the Japanese dub of Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation).
Anyway, I'd just like to thank you again, Johnny Undaunted and Osiris, for the great translations you provided us. :smile:
You're welcome. I hope everyone enjoyed them.
Jnnfranke
Favorite Game: VC

Re: Drama CD Metal Gear Solid fan-translation

Post by Jnnfranke »

It maybe good if there is link to get full download info:
Henry Spencer wrote:I loved the voiceovers in MGS1, so yeah, I may listen to them later, just not right now, I like reading them as if they were a movie's screenplay, don't know why, but just appeals to me I guess.
Introduced to a new vapor cigarettes , innovative smoking alternative | electric cigarettes