Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

Post by Jack »

AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Re: Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain

Post by AwesomeBrand »

Goddammit I always try not to get that hyped but whenever more Metal Gear comes out the Hype Meter goes to 11. KOJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
gonda

Post by gonda »

I'm not sure, but I looks like that MGS finally has gone in a direction I don't like.
This is the first trailer (at least form my recollection) that completely lacks any sort of stealth or infiltration.
Also I it seems that Ocelot is not the 'torturing-for-fun' and 'killing-a-shipload-of-marines' guy he used to be. I seems like the bromance with Big Boss is getting a front seat this time around.
Ocelot on a horse...
Looks like MGS is running out of bad guys. A real shame.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

gonda wrote:I'm not sure, but I looks like that MGS finally has gone in a direction I don't like.
This is the first trailer (at least form my recollection) that completely lacks any sort of stealth or infiltration.
Also I it seems that Ocelot is not the 'torturing-for-fun' and 'killing-a-shipload-of-marines' guy he used to be. I seems like the bromance with Big Boss is getting a front seat this time around.
Ocelot on a horse...

"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

gonda wrote:I seems like the bromance with Big Boss is getting a front seat this time around.
You had me laughing bad =)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
gonda

Post by gonda »

AwesomeBrand wrote:
gonda wrote:I'm not sure, but I looks like that MGS finally has gone in a direction I don't like.
Ocelot on a horse...

I'm confused. Do you agree with me and even add to my statement that also the previous MGS5 trailers lacking stealth and infiltration? Or do you try to make a point that those trailers contain stealth and infiltration (which would be rather strange, because i said "This" trailer i.e. the GDC trailer i.e. the trailer linked by jack)?
Artemio wrote:
gonda wrote:I seems like the bromance with Big Boss is getting a front seat this time around.
You had me laughing bad =)
:D
Do you by any chance know the work of zarla (http://zarla.deviantart.com/gallery/)?
You might enjoy that.

JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Well, I'm sure that it will at least be better than MGR was.
Cybernetic Ninja

Post by Cybernetic Ninja »

JimboKudo wrote:Well, I'm sure that it will at least be better than MGR was.
It will be better. But the sad thing is, that David Hayter won't return as the voice of Snake.
But it wasn't his decision, it was Hideo Kojima's. He explained that he wanted to "recreate" the
series and it should be reflected with the voice as well. Well, the fact is that the
japanese voice actor, Akio Ōtsuka, will reprise his voice as Snake, which is unfair in my opinion.

David Hayter is far more than just a voice actor. He voiced Snake since the first Metal Gear Solid and he knows the character
as good (or even better) than Hideo Kojima does. And he was the one who took a paycut to reunite the original cast of Metal Gear Solid
for The Twin Snakes. Without David and his work, Metal Gear Solid wouldn't be as great as it already is.

A petition has been already started, with many supporters:
https://www.change.org/petitions/kojima ... gs-v#share

David Hayter also gave a statement about it (coincidentally on April 1, but it ain't a joke):
I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES — 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break,
I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.
But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they “wouldn’t be needing me” on this game.
No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all.
But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that… Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be.
Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in
which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount
of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.
If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.
But the truth is — it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.
And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013
You see, David Hayter would like to return. Even the fans want him back. Let's make this happen.
Spread the word and share the petition to everyone you know. The more people sign, the higher will
be the chance to convince Hideo Kojima to reconsider his decision.

EDIT: Quinton Flynn, voice actor of Raiden, expressed himself about the situation on his official Twitter-page almost a week ago:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rk35g5
Cybernetic Ninja

To those who don't know it yet: It's official, Kiefer Sutherland will replace David Hayter as the voice of Big Boss.
He will even perform the motion-capture for Big Boss.

I don't know what has driven Hideo Kojima to do that, but it's still a bad decision.
The voice of Kiefer Sutherland doesn't even fit at all. To me, he is Jack Bauer and David Hayter is the true Snake/Big Boss.

I played Metal Gear Solid since the first game. In my country, the first game for PS1 was dubbed in german, but I got
accustomed to David's voice when they released the sequels with the english voices. When I heard David's voice,
it felt like a real person was talking. David Hayter literally breathed life into the character.
Compared to Metal Gear Solid, the voice-artists in other games are just amateurs who seem to not even try to sound unique or authentic.

David Hayter owned the role and Hideo Kojima should respect it.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I'd say Akio Otsuka has always been a way better fit, a shame we haven't been able to have the game subtitled so far. Unfortunately, he'll probably have to dub Sutherland's facial acting for the Japanese version.

The change probably comes for something they couldn't agree on, who knows. It could be anything, from creative freedom to money.

Personally, I don't watch TV so I have no previous recollection of this Sutherland guy, will have to see how I feel about it and get used to it. I must admit that I found Hayter's performance in MGS4 too over the top though.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Maybe if I was a bigger Metal Gear fan I'd be more sour with Sutherland taking David Hayter's place.
Though figuratively, if David Hayter absolutely had to be replaced, I'd go with Kurt Russell (AKA: Snake Plissken, from Escape From NY) who I always think of as "the original Snake". :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fuPsC_UD1Q

Also, there's the possibility that this is some sort of Kojima stunt. Something tells me Sutherland and Hayter will both be in the game...both playing different Snakes....
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
Kerm
Favorite Game: Besides the games Kojima make, The Elder Scrolls
Kojima games owned: Snatcher CD-ROMantic
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphical Novel
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders The 2:nd Runner
PSN: faderkaka

Post by Kerm »

I don't like 24 so I'm skeptical. Hope he does a good job though. The konami pre-e3 vid made me feel better about it.
*Reserved space for signature*
Solidmixer
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
PSN: Solidmixer

Post by Solidmixer »

Honestly, it's not that big a deal Hayter isn't returning. I feel bad for how he found out, but honestly, if everyone is so upset that he won't do Big Boss's voice, why weren't they upset when Richard Doyle did it in MGS4?

Akio Otsuka is an established voice actor, David Hayter is more of a screenwriter who does some voice acting. If kojima wants a more professional and higher-quality voice actor who can do both motion capture as well as voice, then that's fine. Besides, he sounds like a good mid-ground between Hayter's voice from MGS:PW and Richard Doyle in MGS4. Remember, Big Boss is aging here, and his voice should reflect that. Hell, Ocelot's new voice actor sounds close to perfect for what he's falling in between.

I suppose I'm biased for not seeing 24 (the most i saw of Keifer before this was Phone Booth) but I love David Hayter and he will always be Snake to me. But this is Big Boss, and he's getting older.

If we see another appearance of Solid Snake without David Hayter, THEN i'll get mad. ;) But I trust Kojima knows what he's doing with the atmospheric changes that need a more seasoned VA.
Cybernetic Ninja

Guys, I got some great news.

It is hinted that David Hayter might return as Solid Snake for The Phantom Pain.
Many sources "confirm" that, including Twitter. And on IMDb, he is listed in the cast as David.

If it's true, it would be totally awesome.
hikage
Favorite Game: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES), Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Zone of the Enders
PSN: jakemannn77

Post by hikage »

If Hayter really isn't voicing Snake, I'll be so upset. I really can't imagine anyone else voicing him. This is the first decision of Kojima's that will actually make me angry, heh. I hope they do make him come back, though...
Solidmixer
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
PSN: Solidmixer

Post by Solidmixer »

Cybernetic Ninja wrote:It is hinted that David Hayter might return as Solid Snake for The Phantom Pain.
Many sources "confirm" that, including Twitter. And on IMDb, he is listed in the cast as David.
What twitter mentions this? As for IMDB it's hit or miss, as YongYea says in one of his announcements on the series, IMDB is sometimes as editable as wikipedia. Besides, until they get a more complete cast up there I'd be hesitant to believe much.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

New footage from TGS! :mrgreen:

"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

Beat Ground Zeroes three times, A-ranked all Extra Ops, got all Chico's tapes and XOF badges and spent over 16 hours. Whoever whining about the short playtime is either a BS, or a GOTTAGOFAST speedrunner.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

While I was reading the staff roll at the end of Ground Zeroes I noticed that Marc was listed as one of the four translators / editors working for INTAC / INTAC Plus. I think that's worth mentioning.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Ground Zeroes. It has its flaws, but the overall experience is superb.
I've grown quite fond of the soundtrack, which came as a surprise to me because I usually tend to dislike more cinematic music. I find it to sound kind of bland and uninteresting, but here it really works wonders for painting whatever mood the game is trying to express.

「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

Marc was listed as one of the four translators / editors
Shit just got real.
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

GirianSeed573 wrote:While I was reading the staff roll at the end of Ground Zeroes I noticed that Marc was listed as one of the four translators / editors working for INTAC / INTAC Plus. I think that's worth mentioning.
Wow, your right! Take a look,
Here's the credits on YouTube, go to 6:56 for the localization credits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrSsTcShXg0
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

So that's why Marc isn't here for a while, heh-heh.
--
We gotta send some more guys from JunkerHQ to Kojima Productions!
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

THE E3 TRAILER IS FUCKING AMAZING
THE PHANTOM PAIN - GOTY WHENEVER-IT-WILL-BE-RELEASED
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
GOTTA BUY PS4

Spoiler:
I also visited The Snake Soup:
>hurrdurr everything past MGS2 is shit
>whining whining and moar whining

Aw shieet, it's the Sonic forums all over again.
Vermilion
Favorite Game: ANUBIS: Zone of the Enders
Kojima games owned: Zone of the Enders
ANUBIS: Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Snatcher
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection
Metal Gear Solid 20th Anniversary Edition
PSN: Kuraudoffxi

Post by Vermilion »

Ground Zeroes really impressed me! I was already hyped for the game, but KojiPro delivered something beyond my expectations, specially with the open gameplay (allowing you to approach a mission on different ways) and refined AI. I saw a lot of people complaining about the game length before the release, but GZ is actually pretty big if you play the whole content.
With that in mind, The Phantom Pain is shaping to be one of my favorite Kojima and MGS games (the open world nature seems to be incredible). Can't wait for more trailers or gameplay!

Since nobody posted the E3 2014 gameplay video, here we go!

You can also download the 1080p/60fps version here -> http://www.gamersyde.com/download_metal ... 93_en.html
TechNoir
Runner

Post by TechNoir »

By the way.

Marc, I take it it was you who wrote the fiddle line, right?