View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
[Ghost Run] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake *720p60* 
Runner

Post [Ghost Run] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake *720p60*

"You can't let anyone see you. You can't let the enemy know you're there. This is a stealth mission. You're a ghost, Snake, in every sense of the word." - Major Zero/Tom, Metal Gear Solid 3

The most important rule of a Metal Gear Ghost Run:

Never interact with guard; No distractions, no attacking, nothing. Leave them be, and be sure that they're not aware of your presence. If they hear or see you, restart the game.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ix3P_i4uBRqAno5TwRBfWfI49vFKg1e

Please watch this in 720p60 for 60fps.

So here's a long story:

After watching an MGS3 ghost run (that's long since been deleted), I've been trying to do this challenge since 2011, until I got fed up with BlueMSX, since I feel like the guys behind it aren't going to fix their recording feature (it would sometimes not register any key registers, making Snake walk around like a doofus, and in some cases, trying to encode a video capture with a x264 codec with custom settings is bound to be screwed up), and they haven't updated it in 6 years (I'm not counting that Thanksgiving 2013 beta).

So then I bothered with OpenMSX as they actually update it on the occasion (like maybe once or twice a year), and hoo boy, is it one complicated emulator. To record gameplay video and/or audio, get this, you have to open up the command console and type the "record start" command. Since I wasn't too arsed to figure out how to open it (too lazy), I then resort for other options. OpenMSX's own launcher, Catapult, couldn't let you record, so then I found that another launcher, NekoLauncher for OpenMSX, actually allows you to record from it. Only problem was that it's only for Macintosh computers only. But lucky me, I just so happened to be using a Macbook (it's now shitty, after using it for five years), so I went and did that.

Here's my old run from 2012 if you're all right with downloading someone's videos temporarily (running on OpenMSX with NekoLauncher v1.4 on Mac OS X 10.6): [Retracted]
(TRIGGER WARNING!!1!11! (Geddit?): 240p resolution)

Now, I said that the video resolutions for those videos are 240p. Little did I realize, OpenMSX actually has an option to record footage with double the resolution (480p), and I can't remember if NL 1.4 actually had that option (I know 1.5 does), but if it did, I feel like an idiot (like I always do). Looking back, I'm kinda glad I didn't upload them. Had I uploaded these videos in their current state, they would have look awful, and I should have mentioned this earlier, but whenever I upload a video on YouTube, they mess my videos up badly, and I still feel pretty sore about it. I no longer have this issue as of last year or two, so it may had something to do with my Internet connection (Windstream sucks).

Another problem I had was the rom hacks. Before you ask, yes, I'm aware that rom hacks aren't always legitimate when it comes to challenges and walkthrough videos, but I used both the Turbo Fix and PAN Card Plus to improve the game. For those who aren't aware, MG2 was developed under an HP 64000 computer, which would explain why MG2 felt so clunky when playing it on a MSX2 machine (emulated or on real hardware), as it required a faster processor, resulting frame skipping. As for the PAN Card Plus patch, from what I can recall, there was a cheat code where if you have a certain card, you can actually open the door without equipping it, kinda like on MGS2 and The Twin Snakes. So that patch was made so you won't have to manually do that.

Sure, I had a Turbo Fix and PAN Card Plus, but there was another patch that went under my nose. That patch fixes a couple of glitches (examples includes a glitch in the first building when the elevator is on 4F and several pixel glitches throughout the game, such as one in back of the lorry, where the light shines in the window and the too light pixels in the shade in the desert). So I wanted to patch the three, but I had some confusion on what .ips file should I patch first, so I had to ask on this forum and got everything sorted out.

So 2014 came around, and after seeing Revolver_FOX's MGSV Ground Zeroes Ghost Run, it motivated me to try my Ghost Run for Metal Gear 2 again. Of course, I went back to BlueMSX, now fully aware about it's Thanksgiving 2013 beta version, and low and behold, it's more or less the same piece o' crud, and it's record function is barely useable. The reason why I went back to BlueMSX was it's video effects, since OpenMSX's looks like a LCD screen trying to make scanlines. I feel that my playthroughs should look like they came from a TV since pixelated 2D games usually look good from a CRT screen. I also found out that BlueMSX was ported on OS X, under the name CocoaMSX, and from the looks of it, it seems the team behind it were the same ones behind BlueMSX, and I assume that they've abandoned that emulator as they seem to update CocoaMSX on the occasion. Of course, I barely even touched it, and I don't think I ever got around its record feature, since I wasn't arsed about it.

So anyway, getting back to the topic on hand. I went recorded my Ghost Run up to the second boss battle. Now I've run into another problem. The video sizes were pretty damn big, so I tried to use HandBrake to downsize the file, but then I remembered that .avi files aren't compatible with the software, so I tried VirtualDub to try to convert it into an MP4 file, since I worry that any video converter would lower the framerate down to 30. As you know, [s]Alphabet[/s] Google announced that YouTube was gonna support 60fps captures, but only for any resolution higher than 720p. I tried upscaling the videos, but apparently, importing the videos kinda screwed up the colors (certain colors wound up getting inverted). So up to that point, I gave up on BlueMSX (and its OS X port) once again.

Early this year, I came crawling back to OpenMSX, still disgruntled about the whole affair with the other emulator, and then I learned how to use the command console, realizing that may be I should really start reading more carefully (learning disabilities are a pain in the butt and only people who like to self-diagnose themselves with this are lazy and just looking for pity points and attention). Played for a bit, and tried to upscale the video at 720p without dropping the frame rate, but VirtualDub can't recognize it because codec reasons, and after trying to screw around figuring out a way, I just gave up on that, and didn't bother upscaling my videos. That was until I found out that later builds of OpenMSX actually support 720p recording with its "record start -triplesize -stereo" command, so then I started my game all over again, for like the 10th or so many times.

Long story short: After 4 years of switching from emulator to emulator, testing fixes and video codecs, I feel like that I'm fully satisfied with my setup and now I can show you guys my Ghost Run for Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Last edited by SnatcherMkII on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:36 am
Runner

Post Re: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake Ghost Run
Since no one's posting, I have no choice but to duh-duh, duh-duh-duh double post!

Here's part 2:

Last edited by SnatcherMkII on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 am
J.U.N.K.E.R.

I've been dying to see this completed! Thanks!

I wonder if the ability to ghost run this game was on purpose?

I've always felt it's a shame that MGS1 can't be played this way. You can't even do a no kills run in mgs.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:04 pm
Runner

Parts 3 and 4 are up now. Now near the second building.

@Nick: I doubt it, but if I managed to get near the end of the game without hitting or distracting any guards, then I guess that would be plausible.

I'm fairly certain that MGS1 can still run under this challenge, just as long as the event is unscripted. Not too sure about the first game, though, but I'll look into it some time next year.

Last edited by SnatcherMkII on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:06 am
Runner

So here's part 5:

Last edited by SnatcherMkII on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 pm

What is in with with part 5? Will the players be having much fun with it? When will this part 5 be available online? What can we expect from it then?

Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:54 pm
Runner

No spambots! Anyway, I finally did the impossible! Here are parts 6 and 7:

After so many tries, I found that on the second mannequin room, you have to switch back and forth rooms until the real guard is positioned to where he can't "see" you. The last mannequin is the real meat, but the trick is to be in a cardboard box and positioning yourself at a certain spot will prevent enemies from seeing you, which is enough for me to sneak pass them. Talk about lucky.

Last edited by SnatcherMkII on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Post Re: [Ghost Run] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake *720p60*
Is there a reason the youtube video's (I assume) aren't being displayed?

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am
Second Lieutenant

Because he's putting them in wrong, you can see it clearly by quoting the messages. In between the youtube formatting you're not supposed to put in the whole link, you're supposed to put in the video ID (everything after "watch?v=").

Here's how it SHOULD look:

SnatcherMkII wrote:
No spambots! Anyway, I finally did the impossible! Here are parts 6 and 7:

After so many tries, I found that on the second mannequin room, you have to switch back and forth rooms until the real guard is positioned to where he can't "see" you. The last mannequin is the real meat, but the trick is to be in a cardboard box and positioning yourself at a certain spot will prevent enemies from seeing you, which is enough for me to sneak pass them. Talk about lucky.

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Runner

AwesomeBrand wrote:
Because he's putting them in wrong, you can see it clearly by quoting the messages. In between the youtube formatting you're not supposed to put in the whole link, you're supposed to put in the video ID (everything after "watch?v=").

Thanks for pointing that out. I have a flashblocker on Chrome, so I didn't even fully checked. With that said and done, I've went my way to edit the messages.

Also, no new videos yet.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm
Runner

Sorry that this took a while. Life got in the way, and I finally beaten Bloodborne, and now I have a doctor's appointment.

Here's a funny story about this segment: I have two versions of this one. The one you're watching has me going over to freeze the key instead of taking the chute all the way to the bottom floor just to grab the glider on the first floor, which is what I did in the other version. And I know what you're thinking, that I should've saved when I froze the key, and now I feel stupid. Oh well, at least this ain't the re-release version, where I have to get a Big Boss Rank within less than two hours.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 pm
Runner

Hey, I hope I didn't keep you guys awaitin'. So lemme give it t' ya guys straight. Hospital's suck. I thought I was gonna stay for three days, but they kept me in there longer than that. But enough about that, about the run.

This video ain't new, I had it for a while now, but I thought I lost it. It's actually the OTHER Part 8, the one where I get the glider instead of freezing the key. To be honest, I was suppose to get the glider first, save, reload, then freeze the key, since my next destination was suppose to be the second building. The one I uploaded earlier will stay, but I'll be referring it as the alternative route since you can go either way.

Also, THUMBNAILS! YAAAAYYYYY!!

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:02 pm
J.U.N.K.E.R.

I adore the fact that this game can be Ghost Run. Amazing stuff.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:28 am
Runner

(April 18th)

I know, me too. I've always thought that a ghost run for MG2 is possible when I first saw those MGS3 ghost run videos back in 2010. Anyways...

Yikes! I haven't posted a Metal Gear 2 ghost run in a while now. Well, too be frank, I still haven't beaten MGSV since it came out (pls don't spoil), since Dark Souls 1 & 3 and Bloodborne took my time, as well as a secret project from ChrisKingRants. So sorry that this video's pretty short, but I wanted to get this one out of the way, since my cat just recently has babies and I hafta feed her on a regularly basis. Not to mention that I have dishes that needed to be cleaned.

Anyway, enough powerleveling out of me. This segment isn't really all that difficult, aside from the dining room and the sewers, but I had to save upon my second arrival to the second building, as there's a boss fight coming up and I really don't wanna have to go through this one again if I die.

Hopefully, I'll get off my lazy ass for once and finish the challenge. So until then, I'll see you on the next exciting episode of Metal Gear 2 (cue Dragon Ball rock theme).

(September 22nd)

Sorry it took like five months, but it's done, sort of.

With just Metal Gear, Gray Fox, and Big Boss left, I have nothing to stealth anymore, unless you guys want me to finish this run, though it'll be quite difficult.

As to what I was doing for the past five months, I got a Hyper Cooler for my FX-6300 so I can overclock the sunavabitch, yet my 1TB Seagate HDD died on me, so I had to use my family's old 500GB which hadn't been used since 2012, but of course I failed to back everything up before its death, but luckily I backed up the save file on my flash drive that I thought I lost for sure, and there I thought I had to redo the whole thing all over again. Moving on, my family (well, namely my sister) rescued three other kittens (two who are related), yet around September 5th, one of my kittens was murdered by the family dog. He was our favorite, and our 8 y/o German Shepard/Chow/Lab-mixed dog got aggressive and decided to bite his neck off over for a piece of food. She was really friendly with them up until that point. However, that as may be, around Tuesday morning this week, the mama gave birth to four kittens, though I'm not so sure if it's the same baby daddy as before. Hopefully the kitten's surviving brothers can pass on his legacy, as long as none of them gets neutered.

So yeah, I've been having it pretty rough lately. And since the presidential elections are coming up, things are just gonna get worse for me.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]