How deep could the Metal Gear Solid Series influence on game

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
joshmacde85

How deep could the Metal Gear Solid Series influence on game

Post by joshmacde85 »

I’m planning on playing the games chronologically again in the near future (wish me luck on that), but I want to give my perspective on their importance in the industry.

It’s pretty obvious that this series popularized the now overdone idea of making video games feel like playing movies. Obviously Kojima has stated how his output is 70% movie, and it shows. To me, Movies suck, so I don’t care about that, but it’s worth noting.

Although I wonder how far-reaching their influence on gaming goes. Hear me out: for MGS2, nobody expected the game to be about anyone else other than Solid Snake, yet it’s one of the top-selling PS2 games of all time. At the same time, Mega Man X7 came out some time later and had the same thing happen to it: you play as newcomer Axel far more than you did X or Zero. I’m not sure if there’s any correlation therein, but I believe it’s worth noting. Anyone else have anything to add to this in regards to the other games?
femalerelief

Re: How deep could the Metal Gear Solid Series influence on game

Post by femalerelief »

You remember that she is very close with her brother, and the last time they hung out was over spring break when they went on a family trip to the beach mapquest directions