Happy Memorys?

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Happy Memorys?

Post by randomwab »

In the style of many other topics, what are your happy memories concerning the Metal Gear Series. I have alot so a will tell a few. First play of MGS and the first time playing a Kojima game was in a demo given with the UK OPSM. It led up to the DARPA cheif, and after playing that several times i knew this was one game i couldn't miss. I pre-ordered it from my brothers friend, but not any normal pre-order, i pre-ordered a copy version. After finishing the game once, i demanded my parents take me to buy it. After getting the game, it also got me hooked on Silent Hill, a series I love just as much as MG. Next thing i remember is in Electronics Boutique and finding a pre-owned copy of the Euro PP, and again, demanding it be bought for me, which it wasn't, as it was £30, and now that i think about it, i am amazed my parents just bought me MGS when i asked, a brand new PSX release. Anyway, because i was not going to get the PP, i found that the store had MGS Trading Cards, so i wanted lots, and got one packet as they were really expensive. I still have those cards, but i remember when i was allowed to get the PP, it was sold, something that would scar me to this day, which relates to a leter memory. Anyway, next one, being in a second-hand shop and almost dying when i saw the NES Metal Gear, for £3. At this time, i knew Kojima. Had some one have said his name, i could have replied "Metal Gear". This is even before MGS2, probably at a time when i was still playing the MGS2 demo from ZOE. Anyway, i asked my mom to lend me £20 so i could buy a NES and Metal Gear, and again she said no. I really should have asked her for £3 to get the game, and then the NES later, but i am not that smart so meah. I dont care anymore as since then i have found out about the true Metal Gear on MSX. Another memory is painting the McFarlane MGS toys weapons with Warhammer paint. Anyway, next memory is i think the only i actually acheived eventually and relates to the PP moment i mentioned earlier. When MGS2 was nearly at release time, i knew that after losing the MGS PP, i would not miss the chance for an MGS2 PP, and without thinking, thought that a Euro MGS2 PP would be released, and so saved £80, double what new games usually cost. And to my anger, they never released a Euro MGS2 PP. Happy as i was to get a bonus DVD and other great stuff, i wanted the PP. Though as i said, i acheived this goal, as i eventually got round to getting the MGS2 PP, take that Konami, HAH! I think that is nearly it, i remember playing the Ghost Babel VR missions alot in Primary School, and getting Ghost Babel around 1999/2000 (Whatever year it was released in the UK) and finally beating it summer 2004. Yes, 5 years to complete, and i happily blame this on the bloody cardboard box area, many batteries were wasted there. Last memory is just over really, i imported MGS3 at Christmas , and waited almost a month on my Swap Magic set to arrive to play it, and the day it arrived i was off school. Anyway, most of my memories are told, so anyway, share some of your own memories!
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Oh, that OPSM demo was great. The Yaroze collection especially.

I just couldn't get enough of that football game! Top cock!
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Ha ha, Yaroze, i remember those brilliant games, a Zombie maze game and a FPS with aliens and guff, they were cool!
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Admittedly the only reason I bought that magazine was because it had "20 playable demos" plastered all over the CD cover (well, in a little circle, but it was red and yellow and stood out like a dancing toddler wearing a black and yellow cardigan - like some sort of human bee - trapped and struggling in a flaming car wreck). All I knew of 'Metal Gear Solid' was the trailer on the previous week's CD, which basically had lots of fast music and a ninja running about deflecting machine gun fire with a sword and a pair of hands, which was very exciting.

Cool Boarders 3 was also excellent, as was S.C.A.R.S.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Rick Deckard wrote: it was red and yellow and stood out like a dancing toddler wearing a black and yellow cardigan - like some sort of human bee - trapped and struggling in a flaming car wreck
HAHA, that was one of the most random pieces of discriptive writing i have ever read. WELL DONE!!!
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well, I wouldn't call it "random"; I planned my wording carefully beforehand to make sure it worked as a sentence. I certainly didn't just pick a number of words at random which happened to make a coherent piece of writing.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

And the planning payed of for some comical genius, bravo
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I'll try to think of how it was like playing/completing each game for the first time, in order of how I bought them. (As long as there was something special about them, though)

MetalGear Solid
Me and my brother bought this game together. I was much more excited about it than him, but he was older so it was hard to stop him from getting the first play of it. I sat and watched him play it for the first two hours, all the time wishing I could get a go. Eventually, he let me have a shot. After watching him for that long, I decided to play MGS for as long as possible, to spite him. Turns out, I didn't need to force myself to play it for that long, it happened naturally. I played it long into the night, and eventually saved. Then I realised that I wasn't going to be able to wake up early, due to the hour it was, at the moment, so my brother would likely get to play it in the morning rather than me. I decided that I would, rather sneakily, carry my PlayStation and the game downstairs to my bedroom. I woke up at around 10:30 the next morning and continued playing it, my brother was looking about the house for the PlayStation for about an hour. He found it in my bedroom, while I was playing. :lol: I was told to say sorry to my brother, but I wasn't gonna do that 'til I completed MGS. :lol:

MetalGear Solid: Special Missions
With this game, I had no idea of the release date, so while me and my best friend were shopping, we saw the new MGS game. I was rediculously excited. My friend, Chris, knew that MGS was a good game, but he hadn't really played much of it. We were both young and had very little money to spend, and I was also going on Holiday the next day. All the same, I had to have the new MGS (I mean, It was only £20). I spent the next hour telling Chris how fantastic a game MGS was, describing the whole experience, and how much Special Missions would kick ass. Eventually I convinced him to lend me £20 to buy the game, and I praised him the whole afternoon for it. We headed up to his house, rather than mine, because my parents wanted me to start packing as soon as I got home. Then we realised we needed the original MetalGear Solid to play Special Missions. I couldn't go home before playing the new MGS, so we jumped from house to house seeing if we could borrow friends' copies of MGS. :lol: Eventually, we convinced one of Chris' neighbours to lend us a copy of the game. We played the game for about two hours, and I loved it. I left Special Missions with Chris, but took the packaging to look at on Holiday. I was so excited once I got back. :D

MetalGear: Ghost Babel
This is probably the funniest MetalGear story I have to tell. In a issue of CVG I saw that Konami were making a MetalGear game for the GameBoy. In that instant I knew I would have to get one of the handhelds. The next week I took my Mega Drive and games in for a part exchange. I had a lot of games, but the shop was only able to get me £60, which was around £20 less than the GBC. Next to the GBC I saw a GameBoy Pocket, and I wasn't bothered about playing Ghost Babel in colour, I just wanted to play it. A couple months later, Konami revealed the boxart for Ghost Babel. The reason most Magazines reported this is because of the name change to MetalGear Solid, but I didn't care about that. In the corner of the box, I saw a little label saying "Only for GameBoy Color", and I nearly cried. The game came out in the early summer, and I still hadn't played it, but my Birthday was in August, and I knew that I could probably convince my parents to get me a GBC. My parents told me that I was going on a Canal Boating Holiday with them and my Uncle's family. I thought that this might have been a replacement for my birthday presents, and I was upset. That August, I really hadn't enjoyed myself on holiday. It was one disapointment after another, and I couldn't get comfortable in that narrow Canal Boat. My birthday came up, and my parents presented me with two boxes, one much bigger than the other. I ripped open them both, to find a GBC and Ghost Babel! I was rediculously happy, for the first time on that holiday. :D I completed the game in a solid week (it was literally the only thing to do), and kept coming back to it. :)

MetalGear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
This was the game I was excited about. I already had three MetalGear games, and hadn't had a bad word about them, and this looked rediculously good. That demo that came with ZOE was fantastic, too, and I could complete it in about 7 minutes without being spotted, once. I actually managed to guess about Raiden from looking at the US MGS2 site (it seemed to concentrate on him an awful lot, and Snake was supposed to be dead after the Tanker, right?). Nothing could disappoint me. I told my parents not to take me away from the PS2, as I had been waiting for the game for around 4 years. They seemed much more understanding than they usually are about new games, but that was probably the "I'll kill you, if you don't do what I say" tone of voice I was using. :lol: The game arrived at my house on Friday night, and I had completed it by Sunday morning. I really enjoyed the game, and I didn't want my parents to annoy me about things I needed to do around the house, so within an hour of completing it, I decided to go look for the dog tags. :lol: I kept playing regularly until winter. :D

MetalGear Solid 2: Substance
By now, I was a huge MetalGear fan, and not even the most cynical of ideas would stop me from buying the new MetalGear game. I pre-ordered this, and was excited as hell about it. I was quite into skateboarding at the time, and my neighbour's friend was getting his dad to build him a 5 foot vert ramp in his garden, so I was looking forward to a lot. On the Thursday, I went up the road, first thing from School (only picking up my Skateboard on the way) to my neighbour's house, knowing that the varnish would have dried, by now. I ended up having a great time. I went home quite quickly, though, to get something to drink and eat (I was tired), but I found a package on my doorstep. I knew it wasn't Substance, as that was only released the following day... what could it be, then? I opened up, walking towards my PS2. As more of the packaging was revealed, I started running. Yes, I had ended up with MGS2: Substance, a day early. Two of my friends (who were also Skateboarders) came to my house to see why I hadn't came back after two hours, and as soon as they saw the torn paper scattered about the house, they knew. It turned out that they wanted to see Substance much more than the Vert Ramp. Later on, five of us spent the night indoors, taking turns on the missions in Substance. That was great night.

(between this and the next game, I bought MG, NES MG and The Twin Snakes, but they don't have much of a story behind them)

MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Ah, I enjoyed this. As soon as I got a job, I decided I needed to buy the old MetalGear games. I spent ages trying to find a cheap copy of this. Eventually, I saw a fantastic deal, £50 for an unboxed version. I didn't care about the boxes (if you see my copy of MG, you'll realise how true this is :lol:), so I bidded straight away, and won after a couple of days. I had a lot of things going on at the same time, now. I had to juggle college, my band, my social life and my work, with my gaming. It was obvious what was going to take a back seat for the next couple days, though. The only trouble I had though, is that I had no way to save my game... I'd get around it somehow. After getting quite far, I decided to risk my MSX2's health (allongside my own) and not switch it off. Every day for the next five, I would run home from College, play MG2, go to work/band practise, run home, play MG2, go to bed. My MSX2 was gradually getting more and more hot, and I knew it'd start giving me electrical shocks if I kept playing for much longer, but then I saw Grey Fox. I knew this wasn't like when he took out the bridge, this would be an actual fight, and I would be near the end. I completed it that night, and didn't touch my MSX2 for about a month afterwards. :lol:
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

87th, a beautiful set of stories, some simallar to my own, and a few new things come to mind now. I remember in P7, after school one day (but no ordinary day), demanding my mum take me to Belfast city centre to allow me to get a game for GBC (HMMMMMM, what could it be). I remember the day well, mainly because it was bloody hot, really hot. As i danced into Game, i went to the GBC shelves, and scanned them, to which gave me a shock.....on the day of release (I wonder how i knew that when i didnt have the internet), there were no copys of MG:GB. I ran to the counter and in all my youth demanded an explination, The guy went away for a bit, and came back with a beautiful white box, which i still have to this day. I remember the enitial puzzlement of it being called MGS. Anyway (these stories do go on for abit dont they) i remember going home in the car, even more baked as the sun was killing me, and putting it in my GBC, with new batteries that i had stocked up on for the holiday the next week. The intro was great and the initial thought of the gameplay was amazing. Just thiking now how it took me 5 years to complete brings a tear to my eye, so emotional, well i plan to replay it soon, as im going on holiday over easter, so i will finally play Boktai (No weather to in the UK) and replay MGS. I also remember the day of the MGS2 release, sitting in our school library at lunch convincing me mate why it was gonna be the best game ever, and i finally convinced him by telling him how guards pissed themselves if you pointed a stinger at them. Then sitting in Spanish last two periods, with another mate also as eager for MGS2 as i was, we were as giddy as school girls i tell thee. Who knows, if i can get a cheap flight to London for the 9th i might have another incident in here, i really wanna get shit signed!
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

These tremendous anecdotes are ripe for publishing.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Haha, thanks