MSX Metal Gear & Solid Snake Newbie Advice

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Skycladiana
Runner

MSX Metal Gear & Solid Snake Newbie Advice

Post by Skycladiana »

Alright. So, I waited a good long while for my Subsistence package, savoring the chance to finally play the original MSX versions of MG and MG2:SS. I'm not the type who can download emulators or anything, so this is the first chance I'm getting to experience the latter two thirds of the Big Boss trilogy. Now, unfortunately, I'm a bit stuck.

I'm sure there are probably others like me out there. Probably just one or two, but still a few. Therefore, let this thread be dedicated to losers like me who need help unraveling all the intricacies of these games.

For example-- How the Hell do you contact the Resistance after the first two surveilance cameras? Big Boss talks about talking to Schneider for information, but I'm ever unable to contact him. Could anybody just tell me what the right frequency is (although I've cycled through ALL of them, anyway, to no avail.)

My copy better not be buggy, or anything.
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
DogofWar

Post by DogofWar »

Is n't his frequency in the instruction manual. The first metal gear isn't like the rest. Some people only respond when you are in certain rooms.
Those who dare win.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

It's not in the Subsistence manual. None of the original Metal Gear or Solid Snake frequency numbers are.

Seriously. All I want to know is what Schnieder's frequency is and where to access it. At least that would be a good way to put me in the right direction on this game.
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
Bioroid

Post by Bioroid »

Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Thank you.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Okay.

Having trouble finding the flashlight. Schnieder says it's on floor one. Does he mean the first or second building?

Any chance somebody could tell me where to find it?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Skycladiana wrote:Okay.

Having trouble finding the flashlight. Schnieder says it's on floor one. Does he mean the first or second building?

Any chance somebody could tell me here to find it?
Building No. 2, Floor 1. After the entrance, on the room right to the Bulltank one.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Thanks, Undaunted.

Now, the underground pasage has taken me to the B2 gas room. I thought this was supposed to lead to B3, or a confrontation with the next boss (Dirty Dan? Something like that). Sorry for groping about blindly with you people, but where do I go from here?
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Okay...I've got the compass...How do I use it?

I'm really kinda stuck, here. Last pieces of advice I'd gotten on the radio were Dr. Madnar talking about how to find Metal Gear (which I've forgotten since nobody repeats advice on the room-specific radio) and Schnieder talking about the B1-B2 Underground Tunnel. I'm lucky enough to have finally contacted Jennifer, but only once to open the door for the compass. Really, where do I go from here at this point?

By any chance are there any online guides for the original MG and SS games, just so I don't have to bother anybody here?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Skycladiana wrote:Okay...I've got the compass...How do I use it?

I'm really kinda stuck, here. Last pieces of advice I'd gotten on the radio were Dr. Madnar talking about how to find Metal Gear (which I've forgotten since nobody repeats advice on the room-specific radio) and Schnieder talking about the B1-B2 Underground Tunnel. I'm lucky enough to have finally contacted Jennifer, but only once to open the door for the compass. Really, where do I go from here at this point?

By any chance are there any online guides for the original MG and SS games, just so I don't have to bother anybody here?
To use the compass, you have to get out of Building No. 2 through the northern desert (with card 7) and then have it equipped when you cross the desert area (the one filled with scorpions). You'll eventually get to Building No. 3. The rest is up to you to figure out...
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Right. And where might one find Card 7?
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Never mind.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Okay. Finished MG. No big deal.

Now, for SS. The North Vietnamese POW Tap Code isn't in the manual. Am I going to have to look for this on Wikipedia, or something?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Skycladiana wrote:Okay. Finished MG. No big deal.

Now, for SS. The North Vietnamese POW Tap Code isn't in the manual. Am I going to have to look for this on Wikipedia, or something?
Actually, it's on page 23.
http://www.stack.nl/~mth/msx/solideng/m ... e2.htm#P23
DarkTetsuya
Runner

Post by DarkTetsuya »

I checked the MGS3S manual but didn't see any references to the tap codes, were they taken out? how did they handle that?

DT
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

They're probably still in the game (the games seem to be nothing more than glorified MSX emulations), but the manual included with Subsistence isn't even the real manual (there's an easy-to-miss disclaimer on the bottom of the Table of Contents page), it's just a Quick Start guide. You can apparently download the real manual from the Konami website.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Yes it is here konami.com/gs/patches/MGS3S_manual.pdf

But it doesn't have more than a sentence for each MSX game anyway...
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

It's odd. I imagined that Kojima would've made sure these gameplay-supporting pieces of information would be included in the manual, whether printed or online. Konami really dropped the ball here.

At any rate, I was able to figure out the code. By now I'm at the post-hanggliding infiltration. No major qualms. I'm much more comfortable with this game than the original MG.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Skycladiana wrote:It's odd. I imagined that Kojima would've made sure these gameplay-supporting pieces of information would be included in the manual, whether printed or online. Konami really dropped the ball here.
They were in the one under Kojima Production's supervision, the NA release was way cheaper and under KOA. I am sure it was done to cut costs, since the original Japanese manual was 130+ pages (And the Japanese release was way more expensive).

It is a shame that even the onlinve version of the manual didn't get the info...
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Okay. Suppose somebody (who shall remain nameless) wanders into a truck, in box-form, once hanggliding across the ridge. Let's also say that this truck then carries the box-wearing person back across the other side of the ridge. While we're under this assumption, let's not forget to mention that this person's hangglider mysteriously vanished upon landing the first time, and that this hypothetical person is now unable to find a new hangglider in the place the first was originally found. How, then, may one cross back across the ridge?

Let us also remember to mention that this person did, while on the northern side of the ridge, happen to defeat Jungle Hunter (or whatever his name is), obtaining card 8. Can such a card help in finding an alternate route to the other side?

POST-SCRIPT: Before we forget, let us be reminded to inform that this person (again, without any identifying title) has, in his/her posession, a Zanzibar Land Wood-Owl. Let us be assured, without doubt, that this person is well aware that this creature is useful as a tool for lulling the enemy into a false sense of security, in which their wakeful vigilance may be shed and exchanged with sleepful ignorance. While we are considering the grave consequences one faces for clumsily wandering into trucks, could our illustrious peers offer any insight as to alternate purposes said Zanzibar Land Wood-Owl could be put to, specifically ones which would aid certain uknown personages obtain purchase and passage to the land beyond the ridge of the broken bridge?
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Skycladiana wrote:Okay. Suppose somebody (who shall remain nameless) wanders into a truck, in box-form, once hanggliding across the ridge. Let's also say that this truck then carries the box-wearing person back across the other side of the ridge. While we're under this assumption, let's not forget to mention that this person's hangglider mysteriously vanished upon landing the first time, and that this hypothetical person is now unable to find a new hangglider in the place the first was originally found. How, then, may one cross back across the ridge?

Let us also remember to mention that this person did, while on the northern side of the ridge, happen to defeat Jungle Hunter (or whatever his name is), obtaining card 8. Can such a card help in finding an alternate route to the other side?

POST-SCRIPT: Before we forget, let us be reminded to inform that this person (again, without any identifying title) has, in his/her posession, a Zanzibar Land Wood-Owl. Let us be assured, without doubt, that this person is well aware that this creature is useful as a tool for lulling the enemy into a false sense of security, in which their wakeful vigilance may be shed and exchanged with sleepful ignorance. While we are considering the grave consequences one faces for clumsily wandering into trucks, could our illustrious peers offer any insight as to alternate purposes said Zanzibar Land Wood-Owl could be put to, specifically ones which would aid certain uknown personages obtain purchase and passage to the land beyond the ridge of the broken bridge?
You've confused with the overwhelming annonymity of that post.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Well, it matters little. Now, the game is over.

While I still hope that Kojima eventually brings MG & SS up to date so that the whole series can stand on equal footing (and so he can correct a few continuity errors, both in terms of the overall narrative-- Big Boss dropping the ESB bomb on Snake in SS as he's supposed to have ever since TTS, making the path of Metal Gear evolution clear enough to show exactly how Granin->Emmerich->Madnar->Otacon works, chronologically-- and in terms of the saga's connection to historical events-- I'd at least like to see the circa 1999 SS not make references to East/West Germany & the USSR as non-defunct countries-- I was thoroughly entertained and moved.

I was surprised by Big Boss' relationship to the war orphans of Outer Heaven/Zanzibar Land. I'd already understood the series' involvement of war's effects on children-- Raiden as a child soldier in an unnamed civil war, Ocelot's birth at Normandy-- and here, I'm impressed and a bit shocked to see how it began. At first, I saw the wandering children's adoration of "The One-Eyed Man" as simply another instance of Big Boss' Kurtz-like sway over his legions of followers, but learning of his plan to train them into soldiers, start new wars and conflicts, the victims of which he would train annew, struck me as dark and disturbing, even for an already morally ambiguous figure like himself. More than anything, his vision of the endless cycle of war being turned into a children's crusade turned him into a monstrous figure to me. It's also sad, in the context of SE, to see him essentially accept the Boss' nihilistic vision of a future controlled by the Philosophers/<B>Patriots</B>. In that final battle he is a man without hope.

Sigh. Now I'm depressed.

Also nice to see Kojima's love-letter to the MSX and classic gaming in the closing coda. I wonder what sort of crazy three-letter advertising campaigns he could've created with those particular initials...
87th
General
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I doubt Kojima himself will ever remake MG1+2, as he's leaving the series, now and really wants to focus on making original games. The rest of his team might after MGS4's out, though.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I really wish they'd remade those two games instead of MGS1 when they did that collaboration. They were never in 3D to begin with, whereas MGS1 was.

I should say, I wish they'd remade them and the job was done in-house, as TS didn't feel like a Konami MG game, even though they were involved to an extent.

But the whole idea does kind of feel like taking a step backwards.
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

I'm actually glad Silicon Knights didn't remake the first two games. Their influence on MGS 'americanised' it, too much for me. They also forced in a lot of unnecessary gameplay additions from MGS2 that didn't really work in MGS (especially all those added railings you could hang from... what was the point?). If they made a bad version of MG1+2 I'd be very disapointed as the games mean so much to me.