MGS 3 Campaign and trailer reflection (stray ideas)

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

MGS 3 Campaign and trailer reflection (stray ideas)

Post by Artemio »

This is an idea that has been cirrcling my mind for almost 6 months.... and it s quite simple.

Havesn't there been way too much leaked information?

What happened with the Capaign of MGS2? What was tried and what was accomplished? What did those trailers intended?

What do actual trailers intend?

Is there any connection between all this ideas?

Let me explain a bit better. In MGS2 the main theme is MEMES, or how the ideas affect society and people in general. And specially, how manipulated and inserted ideas can manipulate the public. The MGS2 campaign did exactly that, right?

Now what are MGS3 themes and why is tehre so much leaked info from the beginning? They might all be coincidences.. and I too have some personal reasons to doubt my own thoughts that I will make public once the game is out. But I certainly believe that there might be something in there... "a whisper in my Ghost" tells me so....
originalcracker

Post by originalcracker »

Yeah, perhaps we are being made to think one way, when really it's the other way. Some people didn't like MGS2 because they just didn't understand what they were being fed. Pardon me if I'm starting to sound unorganized, I had to step away in the middle of my sentence for a moment to do something. We'll deffinitly have to wait to see what Kojima does with the game.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Indeed.. But my dea goes in another direction.... Espionage is a central theme, right? cold war? information extraction? let the enemy know something.. leak false info, get information with indise sources..... way to much coincidences.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

everything from the leaked doc is true, the main admin at mg.org has a konami rep connection, its all true, and he also said that solid snake will not make a first timer for not being a playable character :wink:

everyone on the site is now building this theory, that the first part is big boss, and then the second a metal gear 1 remake! Its using that star wars forumula, where we get to see anikan and then darth. That would be bad ass. Cause If they do, I wanna see the arnold twins bosses in 3D.

Anyone notice also that solkolov looks just like Kio marv, the creator of Oilix?

and in the leaked doc though it talks about Solkolov and another scientist that dreaks alot, and he gets killed after he notify's Otacon's father of The shagohod. I hear also that Pettrovich Modner (the creator of the actually stable walking Metal geat model A)
LOVE OF HATE

Post by LOVE OF HATE »

Snake Plissken wrote:
Anyone notice also that solkolov looks just like Kio marv, the creator of Oilix?

A)
Yeah i have notice that to.

Maybe kojima ran out of people to put in. ( i don't have the best grammer so i don't spell the word that i don't know how )
Rolman

Post by Rolman »

Snatcher and I discussed this the other day and I just wanted to share my thoughts with everybody else.

I believe the same thing. The 'hidden' themes in the previous MGS games have a strong connection with their respective endings. That is to say that the memes and genes and now the scene affect the 'fate' of the characters as well as the outcome of each story. This is made clear at some point in every game (Naomi in MGS1, Campbell and Rose in MGS2 and now presumably The Boss in MGS3 all talk about it) and in the same way, the real world has some effect on the fate of the Metal Gear series, illustrating Kojima's points beautifully.

I remember the MGS2 trailer said something like "MGS changed the world, now the world changes MGS", it was perhaps too accurate, since Arsenal's crash scene was edited/censored after 9/11.

The MGS remake too, shows how the real world affected the perception of the original game. For many, the GCN version looks a lot better and has more moves, therefore it must be superior to the very rough (by today's standards) graphics and gameplay elements of the original version. It's natural for some people to think like that if they don't feel the nostalgia of having played the original with graphics and gameplay that were so advanced back then and were more than enough to convey such a compelling story. Also let's remember the Nintendo demographic, chances are that the GCN fanboys never played the PS1 version out of loyalty to the Nintendo brand. It's funny how I'm both loyal to Nintendo AND to the original MGS because of the very same reason, nostalgia.

MGS3 now provides very important lessons in the same context. The information leaks, Kojima's misleading trailers and interviews, topped with surprises that seem so much like "tactical espionage" actions, could all be created in preparation of the game so that the experience will change accordingly. This sounds almost too clever, but I still think it's not only possible, but mostly probable.
Otaku no naka no otaku, Otaking da!!!
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

I've really taken to this line of thinking over the past month. However, I still doubt the possibility of it actually taking place.

While I realize that MGS2 did really manipulate the public into thinking Snake was the majority main character, what's being suggested here is a deception at a much higher level. I've never looked at the leaked documents (nor do I intend to), but I've heard that they contain quite a lot of information. This does strike me as very strange that a game designer (and for that matter, a company that he is VP of) who prides himself on cinematic trailers that are meant to spark discussion among fans would allow a leak to happen. An unintentional internal document leak for a game of this magnititude is usually pretty rare in itself. But what about a leak that reveals (from what I've heard) quite a lot of plot and character ideas? Plus, all this is coming from a director who is notoriously tight-lipped about the storylines of his games. His team/company kept the lid on the secret of MGS2 until it was released (and it was one hell of a secret), why would one of them reveal what appears to be such a huge spoiler on this one?

All that said, however, I don't know if it's possible to pull off a radical change at this point. I realize that screenshots and such can be easily manipulated and that MGS2 is evidence that Kojima is willing to manipulate trailers for whatever reasons he sees necessary. I'm just not so sure that it's even feasible, given the amount of time you would need to create a "false reality" for mass consumption.

If he does though, I think it would be one of the greatest things that could happen to the gaming world.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I agree with my friend Rolman that it sounds way too clever... but nobody suspected how clever the trailers were according to the them of the game.. It was only noticed after the game was released.

And now, the theme was made public before the game hit the stores.... It was something that could be deduced... I missed the mark in my guess (I though it would be simlpy life and the enviroment) and it turned out to be a bit different, but still the general direction was already given. But why make it so clear when officialy there was no mention of Memes before E3? And neither of the theme of this game? Just to make it cool looking with the MGS anacronym? I don't think so....

I was telling Rolman that I expect this game to have the Kojima touch.. so far we knwo taht technicaly it does, in terms of dialogue it does.. but what about breaking that barrier with the player as Rolman said before and Kojima always has? Even in Snatcher he did if you recall correctly ("That's because you left the volume up...", "What Game over!?, Metal please do something!!!").

And talking about scene (era) and the digital age viewing the past... I don't know..
Last edited by Artemio on Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

There is one thing that leads me to this line of thought though...why do the trailers confirm almost all that is said in the documents? (there are two or three big spoilers there that I didn't want to know about)

There is another thing.. I've never said this before, but I'll mention after the game is released. It is not a big thing, but it is an interesting detail. We'll wait and see.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

It seems strange to me that Kojima never showed a reaction to the leaked information. I'd be furious, not to mention I'd look for the perpetrator and fire the sucker and sue him for violating confidentiality contracts... so with what appears to be a total absence of such a reaction it does give weight to the argument that there is some kind of huge shocker in store for the public.