Conference and chat with Ryuhei Kitamura

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.

Do you still hate The Twin Snakes?

Yes, not even Kojima would convince me otherwise
62%
Not anymore, Kitamura delivered on what he and Kojima expected
31%
The Twin Snakes? WTF is that?
8%

Total votes: 13

Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

*goes back to play the game again*
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Missing wrote:And I never said Kojima did that pet peeve in his own games. I said had he done the same thing in one of his games -- technically inferior console or not -- you probably wouldn't be complaining. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are, I'm afraid (since you asked). A poor game element is a poor game element regardless of who was behind it. For instance, Policenauts has almost zero gameplay, and I never forget that when I play it, but I still like the game for its strengths.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Okay, so with all the topics devoted towards Kojima's games on these boards, why do I see very few critical ones from any of you? Of course you all band together to bash Twin Snakes when someone brings it up (though I'm not saying you're wrong for having that shared opinion), but your viewpoints of Kojima's own games seems to be much more one-sided by comparison.
hybridtheory

Post by hybridtheory »

Missing wrote:Okay, so with all the topics devoted towards Kojima's games on these boards, why do I see very few critical ones from any of you? Of course you all band together to bash Twin Snakes when someone brings it up (though I'm not saying you're wrong for having that shared opinion), but your viewpoints of Kojima's own games seems to be much more one-sided by comparison.

Geez, I liked Twin Snakes...it was a fun game and I did meet Kitmura at AX '06 and Dyak an E3 back. I was just pointing out one of the game's flaws. It's not like I hated it. It's an enjoyable game...calm down, man.
I met the hideo kojima !!!111
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Missing wrote:Okay, so with all the topics devoted towards Kojima's games on these boards, why do I see very few critical ones from any of you? Of course you all band together to bash Twin Snakes when someone brings it up (though I'm not saying you're wrong for having that shared opinion), but your viewpoints of Kojima's own games seems to be much more one-sided by comparison.
First, because no one else is asking an opinion on one of them right now. This topic was brought up specifically regarding that point (and is the game usually brought up in this type of discussion - in fact, the last topic along the lines of, "What's your opinion on MG(X)?" was about...TTS). And when I think about it, I don't have that many issues with Kojima's games anyway. I think he does very well with the technology available to him, and with how we wants to present the story he wants to tell (i.e. I think the type of game systems in Snatcher and Policenauts, while not very interactive, are the best ways of telling those stories, especially when you consider when they originally came out). Furthermore, his games are always incredibly polished and detailed (most of us still discover new things even years later), which is one of the many areas TTS failed. And I've criticized his borrowing from other works before - I think pretty much everyone agrees on that.

Second, because every one of Kojima's games is better than TTS.

Third, and this isn't related to this topic, but why do you spend so much going after other people for their opinions, yet when myself or someone else does something for you (like translate a material from Japanese), not only do you not say thank you, you never reply in the thread again? It's not that I'm looking for a thank you (I'm not), but if you're going to spend energy on something, why not spend it on the positive of the two choices?
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Osiris wrote:Third, and this isn't related to this topic, but why do you spend so much going after other people for their opinions, yet when myself or someone else does something for you (like translate a material from Japanese), not only do you not say thank you, you never reply in the thread again? It's not that I'm looking for a thank you (I'm not), but if you're going to spend energy on something, why not spend it on the positive of the two choices?
Yeah, I realize I don't say thank you very much. It just feels forced to say it online, but I probably wouldn't say it anyway even if it weren't forced (unless I'm in a particularly good mood). And yeah, I realize I'm a hypocrite for that, even though I chastised Johnny Undaunted several months ago for the very same thing. But what do I care? I prefer to debate more than anything else. What need do I have (besides saying thank you) to return to a topic that's already had my question answered? Of course, I do contribute to discussions more than needless arguing, but when it comes to needless arguing, it's what I enjoy doing most of all. (Even when I'm wrong, I'll still look for an excuse to argue, as would be the case at this very moment.) It's just who I am, and I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it.
Rolman

Post by Rolman »

Skycladiana wrote: By the way, I can't really vote on this poll since I never hated TTS to begin with. It's the game that got me into Metal Gear, after all. How could I hate that?
You're right on the money pointing out that there's no option in the poll for those who never hated TTS at all. That was on purpose :grin:

MGS: TTS is so drastically different that it can be argued that it was aimed at a different audience than the original. So much that hardcore fans of the original tend to hate TTS automatically, almost like a reflex. You're such a rarity around here :P

But I'd agree that, perhaps, if you've never played the original, TTS might not be seen as a bad game. The dialogue and storyline are almost intact, and even though the gameplay, the art direction and the cutscenes are definitely unbalanced, the source material is still very good.

I don't know if it could be compared to another holy war such as the Macross vs. Robotech one, but I try to see TTS as what it is now and separate as much as possible from the original (even enjoy it!). I personally saw Robotech first before Macross (as most people did this side of the pond back then) and liked it very much and got interested in the original, so I can definitely relate to your situation. But I can't deny that now I hate Robotech with a passion.

Please don't fool yourself, there's a PSOne MGS masterpiece out there that Kitamura didn't want to touch himself and that's why he wanted to do something so different. Go pay whatever they ask you for it and play the **** out of it on a PS2, without smooth textures or any enhancement at all. If you liked TTS I promise you won't be disappointed :smile:
Otaku no naka no otaku, Otaking da!!!