Wild Arms inspiration for Boktai?

A forum dedicated to this innovative game for the Big N portables.
originalcracker

Wild Arms inspiration for Boktai?

Post by originalcracker »

Now that there is a forum here, I can present a thought I had last week.

My 2 absolute favorite games are Wild Arms and Boktai. I started to replay Wild Arms recently and came across a particular item. In Wild Arms, there is an item called Revive Fruit that revives you. In Boktai, there is an item called Revivafruit that revives you. Now this could be a coincidence, but it gets better.

Wild Arms is the first game that I can think of that brought Norse mythology to the gamer. There may have been others, but this one sticks out to me for several reasons. Wild Arms has integrated the story of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, into all of it's games. It has also integrated a Western (cowboy) theme into the games as well. Like Kojima and his games, Media Vision and their games seem to like to put movie references in there games. One in particular is the Wild Bunch. The Wild Bunch in Wild Arms is a special weapon used by one of the main characters of the game. In Boktai, the Wild Bunch is also a special Weapon used by the main character of the game.

Could Wild Arms have inspired Hideo Kojima to make Boktai? I don't know, it might have. It is certainly debatable. This is just a thought that I had about my two favorite games.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: Wild Arms inspiration for Boktai?

Post by Artemio »

originalcracker wrote:Could Wild Arms have inspired Hideo Kojima to make Boktai? I don't know, it might have. It is certainly debatable. This is just a thought that I had about my two favorite games.
I believe that they might both have a common source of inspiration.. maybe related to cowboy movies or mythology, I certainly don't know... But it will be worth finding out in related media.
originalcracker

Post by originalcracker »

Ha, I forgot to mention that the Boktai series is very Norse myth based, especially the sequel. Names such as: Hel, Muspel, Garmr, Dvalinn, Duneyrr, and Durathror come from the myths. I'll stop the name calling here, because if I go any further, I'll give to much of the story away. Also, the Solar Tree is Yggdrasil, the world tree. And one last thing, ever wonder what that image on the floor of the Cathedral is? You'll probably want to look it up after you beat the game (it kind of foreshadows what you should expect later in the game). It is a very specific image of a tree and some animals. I'll leave it at that.