RSS news feed (Junker HQ)

Comments, typos, feedback and suggestions are welcome here. Please READ THE RULES. They are few, I promise.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

RSS news feed (Junker HQ)

Post by Artemio »

I made some small changes to the Junker HQ news site, it now has an rss feed if you feel so inclined and the format is not a bit blog like.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

About time!

Well done Snatcher.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Arkley

Post by Arkley »

I still don't understand how RSS feeds work. I looked up on wikipedia about them, but that just thouroughly confused me.

Can anyone give an explanation in laymans terms?
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

I believe, basically, that JunkerHQ hosts a .XML or .RSS file on the server. You bookmark it in your RSS-compatible browser or news aggregator, and (in the case of my browser) the application checks for new feeds every 30 minutes. Any additions to the file on the server are downloaded and presented to you. It's basically a website's news page standardised, so that every RSS-using website's news is published in the same .XML or .RSS format, streamlining the whole process for cross-platform use.

That's my understanding of it, but as far as I know, aeroplanes fly solely by the power of magic, so hey, I might be wrong.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

You are right Jonathan Ingram =)

But if what you want to know is how to use it in a fast way, you simpy eitehr download an RSS client and register all the pages that you visit or use an online client (linke bloglines) and do the same. Thus, you end up reading a lot more trash daily than you ever did before... thanks to the centralization of information. (Or to put it in positiove light, you can filter out more information daily).
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher wrote:Thus, you end up reading a lot more trash daily than you ever did before... thanks to the centralization of information. (Or to put it in positiove light, you can filter out more information daily).
Hmm, that sounds like...la-li-lu-le-lo talk to me, Snatcher.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Osiris wrote:Hmm, that sounds like...la-li-lu-le-lo talk to me, Snatcher.
It certainly does. And it is true also.

But after all... The Internet is Shit
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Heh, forgot about that. But you're right Snatcher, you do end up reading a lot more trash than you ever did before. You find yourself just checking the RSS feeds before you leave a computer, every time, and all those minutes add up and you realise you're wasting time. But, I guess if you're strict about the number of feeds you have it does keep you informed. I only have about 6 myself. Any more and I'd never leave the damn machine.