Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Marc
General

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Post by Marc »

Has everyone heard of this? The 2.5 remake of Rondo looks like ass, just like the 3D games, not surprisingly, but I'll gladly pick this up for the original and SotN. It'd be nice if they include all the Saturn extras in this version (without the slowdown and graphical issues, though). They're talking about an updated localization, so I assume they're re-recording the voices. The actual text translation was pretty good (the Japanese original is just as pompous), but the voices were a far cry from the Japanese counterparts.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Actually I did just read that yesterday too.

I was holding out on a PSP until it gets cheaper just to play Metal Gear, but I guess it'd be nice to have a portable DracX, right? Esp since most fans of the series didn't get to play it.

DX 2.5D = ugly + lose.

Man I like the U.S. SOTN voices though (never got the JP Sat so can't compare)! It won't be nearly as charming or memorable w/ the new ver, I bet. You're right about having the Saturn extras (w/o the junk port) would be great, I'd buy it for that.

"WHAT-IS-A-MAN! A miserable little pile of SEcrets!?!"

I only really hate Maria's voice, she sounds like a 35-year-old husky suductress.
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

The new music in the Saturn version is especially sweet, but one of the best additions is how you have to fight Maria for the Holy Glasses (so she can see if you're strong enough to fight Richter).
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I'm worried about SotN. They're putting the Saturn version in here, which wasn't as good as the PSX version, but perhaps the touch up on SotN is to bring it on par with the PSX version. Either way, can't wait for this to hit.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Ah GOD, KONAMI, WHY can't you listen to your fans???
All the same, I'd buy the game. Sounds like a sweet ass deal, specially if you've never solved the two games before and only played them on crappy emulators. :|
Then again, we're all agreeing to buy this thing, so why should Konami bother to make it pretty and give us decent music, if it means playing the original? Welcome to modern gaming! *seriously, shoot me down here, it'd make me feel a lot better*
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

*bang*
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

This remake is a fucking joke, and almost an insult to every fan which wanted to see this game get a steller English port for their Turbo Gfx 16 machines back in the day.

For trying to look new and interesting, with 3D effects and sub-modern graphics, it looks even more inferior compared to the PC Engine masterpiece.

They couldn't even keep in the amazing original soundtrack either, which pretty much made the original version itself the holy grail and break through in gaming for it's time -as well up to now. Another remake gone wrong.

Well the good fucking news though thankfully is that they're including the original, thank heavens. But I hope people remember the great "Harry Tuttle," and the epic struggles he endured to get this emulated in the first place (back in the day).
Duo

Post by Duo »

I find the general lack of faith in this game disturbing.
He is one, he is many.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yeah, seriously, big fucking deal if it isn't the best version, at least we are getting the game anyway. That's what matters, isn't it? :???:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

My point was, I would've thought they'd have learned by now that 3D graphics and Castlevania do not mix. Why waste the time?

The reason for my lack of faith in the 2.5D remake is because the PS2 Castlevanias sucked like a Bangkok whore.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

God, if they just added frames to the original, instead of being so miffed about the general public not really liking 2-D graphics, they might make something of it huh lol.
HorseFactory

Post by HorseFactory »

Those videos are from a very early alpha build. The art assets and stuff are nowhere, nowhere near complete, so it's harsh to judge it so early. Also, to those skeptical of 2.5d : Gradius V. This could well turn out decent, even if it is IGA!
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Agreed, that current soundtrack better be placeholder garbage.

I really don't think it'll look good at all once it's even done. But I mean you've got the original Rondo -- as long as the music is perfectly intact I'm sure it'll be great. Let the fools have their 2.5-D barfitude as long as the original is not raped.

I'm pretty sure I read that Konami said this is the PSX ver (possibly with a few extras_ cos IGA hates the Saturn port, which he didn't work on.
BIG BOSS
Gillian

Post by Gillian »

I bought Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine back in 2004 and as soon as I started playing the game I was hooked. I also have Castlevania: Dracula X for the SNES which is inferior to the PC Engine version but the music was really good except the controls and fighiting Dracula on pillars in the final stage which was a pain in the ass.

Konami really should cancel the polygon remake of Dracula X and just update the PC Engine version like having the graphics that Symphony of the Night had and also update the soundtracks too. It would be so cool if the stages from the SNES version were added to Rondo of Blood to make it even longer and add in some more bosses too. Voice overs would be a nice addition too.

As for Symphony of the Night I certainly hope that the extras from the Saturn version will be included which would make us Castlevania fans very happy. :grin:

I think that both Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night should be sold seperately or packaged as a set. :grin:

I also have Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight for the SAT and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PSX but the SAT version has extras.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Thanks for pointing that out. Interesting read, though I had to mention one thing.
GR: And again, the PC Engine version is included? Is it completely identical to the original?

IGA: So, you are correct. As you know, [in the original release] we didn't have any English voiceovers. We're going to retake the voiceover part. I think it's going to be a good localization. Because what if we had released the PC Engine version of Rondo of Blood back in those days? We had no ability to localize. You can imagine, from our Symphony of the Night translation and voiceovers, it could really have been the worst of the worst.
Hello? (The much longer and fellow Konami PCE title) Snatcher, anyone? And SOTN had a good translation, just not so good voices.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

It seems he really wants to borrow elements from god of war for the next 3d castlevania which is good. I never played any of the 3d castlevanias except for the awful n64 version that i played through(don't know why) years ago. Although, i hear the 3d castlevanias now, seem to be quite tedious which leads me to assume he tries to create the 2d castlevania exploration style and it just doesn't quite work well in 3d. If this is the case, it would be a good idea to adobt a new style for castlevania in 3d and god of war is a good inspiration for him.

So far, dawn of sorrow is my favourite castlevania game with sotn being my 2nd favourite. Personally i was really disappointed with portrait of ruin with its rehashed backgrounds, linear exploration and endless rehashing of old enimies. This remake castlevania is a good idea to breathe new life in 2d castlevania games. I still wonder how they actually plan to sell this game like crazy on psp though; sales on ds aren't really spectacular as is. Now it seems i may need to get a psp for this game, hopefully sony will do a major pricedrop..

He mentions small teams and lack of budget a lot. If they actually spend more than a year on making these 2d castlevanias and had a larger budget i'm sure they would be able to make another sotn quality game(in terms of length and innovation). Also, from that comment about him wanting to win the lottery and leave konami doesn't fill me with much hope for the series which indicates hes drained on castlevania lol, unless hes joking ofcourse.