The Nintendo DS Topic!

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

The Nintendo DS Topic!

Post by Henry Spencer »

Discuss everything about the handheld, in here.

I'm currently saving up for Hotel Dusk, I sure hope they make a sequel/prequel of some kind if it is as good as people make it out to be!
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Just got Final Fantasy III for it. It´s awesome, but harder than the other FF games.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
HorseFactory

Post by HorseFactory »

I'm looking forward to Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja - a roguelike due at the end of the month.

Currently playing Final Fantasy VI Advance though, but Sabin's blitz skills totally hurt your thumb on the DS Lite d-pad :)
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I gotta pass on FF VI GBA -- does not do the SNES soundchip justice.

Hotel Dusk is great, trying to finish so I can get into Lunar Knights
BIG BOSS
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I'm waiting for Gyakuten Saiban 4 to come out. Probably will get Sekaiju no Meikyuu (Etrian Odyssee) together with it.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I finished Hotel Dusk yesterday, it was really great. I'd love to see more game's like this. I enjoyed Phoenix Wright, but Justice for All wasn't really anything special, and i'd almost like to see Phoenix Wright become a bit more serious, like Hotel Dusk.

On a side note, i have to say kudos to whomever took on Hotel Dusk localization. It's fantastic.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Agreed, it's one of the best-written games I've ever played, period.

It looks like PW3 & PW4 will be a lot more interesting games than PW2 was. I'm really anxious to see which game CoA localizes first, with PW3 not being on DS yet even. If PW4's story isn't that related, seeing as how it's a new main char, I guess PW4 could come first and it wouldn't mess anything up. But I haven't read much about it, don't want spoilers.
BIG BOSS
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

They're localizing PW3 next. It was more or less announced by there "create a case" competition for PW3
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Wow, can't believe I didn't catch that anywhere -- can you please link me a news post on that or something? Love to read it.
BIG BOSS
Reborn from the Ashes

Post by Reborn from the Ashes »

The "Plead your Case for AA3" Competition was announced at Capcom's official forums, here: http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=12080

In an interview an employee of Capcom America announced that they would localise 3 before 4. GS4 comes out in Japan on the 12th of April, but it will not have a dual language option like the previous DS Gyakuen Saiban games have. Even though it has a new main character, it seems like the story has strong connections to Phoenix's Arc.

GS4 Box Art:

Justice for All is commonly thought to be the "darkest" of the three games currently released. That said, although GS3 starts off as what is considered to be the "humourous" game , the story definitely takes a more serious twist later on.

I'm looking forward to the release of Hotel Dusk in April. I've read a lot of good things about it.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Spoiler:
Am I correct in saying the Phoenix is infact in Gyakuten 4? I believe I read that you defend him in case 1 and he is now a bar pianist, having given up on law.

However, if PW3 does well i'd say the 4th game will be localized, but that is hard to say now, PW2 has done well but i've heard very mixed things overall compared to PW1.
Edit: (Marked as spoiler -- Artemio)
Reborn from the Ashes

I'm putting this in spoilers, since I know some people are trying to avoid any storyline related spoilers, it's only information that Capcom have released to generate interest in the game though.
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's right. He gave up law shortly after GS3 and started working at a Russian restaurant as a pianist and Professional Poker Player.

Also, it was confirmed that a 25 year old Ema Skye will be in 4 as well. She's a detective now.
Also, there's a demo on the official GS4 site of part of the first case here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/saiban4/saiban4 ... /index.swf It's in Japanese, but there's an English translation here: http://www.court-records.net/gs4demoen.htm
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

O.k., I have FF3, Both Castlevanias, Resident Evil, Super Mario 64, and diddy Kong Racing. I'm going to get Hotel Dusk, and the Phoenix Wright games, and possibly trace memory (Ive heard mixed reviews) Are there any other good games out there? Thanks.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

HorseFactory wrote: Currently playing Final Fantasy VI Advance though, but Sabin's blitz skills totally hurt your thumb on the DS Lite d-pad :)
I've never actually managed to hit any of those requiring diagonals -- the NDSL-pad just isn't made for that.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Elite Beat Agents is definitely one of the best DS games -- there are a ton of great ones.

Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Advance Wars DS, Trauma Center are top tier.
Magical Starsign looks cool; so does Rocket Slime. Feel the Magic was sweet. WarioWare.

And of COURSE New SMB, and Yoshi's Island.
BIG BOSS
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Lunar Knights has yet to be mentioned in this DS topic on a Kojima board. What?

I picked it up a few weeks ago, and i'm really enjoying it. It's similar yet different to Boktai, with a much greater aspect on action than puzzles. And thankfully, i can play this one at night.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

It already has its own topic.
BIG BOSS
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Ghaleon wrote:It already has its own topic.
o.o

ohh

:sad:
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Currently I'm just hacking around with the DS hardware. I figure it's more rewarding to learn how to program on a DS because there is NOTHING like watching your newly programmed apps running on gaming hardware :)

Hotel Dusk is QUITE awesome though.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

James_The_Stampede wrote:
Agreed. :)

Ouendan, is one of my favourite DS games, which is Elite beat agents over here( with different music and skins)

Currently, i'm looking forward to phoenix wright 3 and 4.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

jcgamer60 wrote:

Ouendan, is one of my favourite DS games, which is Elite beat agents over here( with different music and skins)

OBJECTION!

Currently "WE" are looking forward to PW3 and 4. :P
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

jcgamer60 wrote:

OBJECTION!

Currently "WE" are looking forward to PW3 and 4. :P
:shock:

Yeah, supposibly 3 is supposed to be the best one in the series which should more than make up for justice for all's mediocre effort. While i enjoyed justice for all it just didn't seem as great as the original ace attorney 1, in terms of music and cases. Case 4 is what saved justice for all imo. The fourth in the series should be interesting since its being built from the ground up on the DS, so most likely it will be making good use of the ds touch screen etc, much like case 5 in ace attorney 1 (which was made exclusively for the ds version for those who don't know).
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

I'm going to buy DS soon.
But not just yet, i'll wait for Lunar Knights PAL release.

btw, is the screen much better than in micro game boy? I'm just asking this because i have played boktais with micro and i found out the screen is very sharp quality, but i don't like so much tiny display.
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Reborn from the Ashes

jcgamer60 wrote::shock:

Yeah, supposibly 3 is supposed to be the best one in the series which should more than make up for justice for all's mediocre effort. While i enjoyed justice for all it just didn't seem as great as the original ace attorney 1, in terms of music and cases. Case 4 is what saved justice for all imo. The fourth in the series should be interesting since its being built from the ground up on the DS, so most likely it will be making good use of the ds touch screen etc, much like case 5 in ace attorney 1 (which was made exclusively for the ds version for those who don't know).
Very slight GS4 Spoilers.
Spoiler:
GS4 is already confirmed to have finger print dusting. You can also make molds of footprints as well. It looks like the luminol testing will be back as well: http://sb.tsutaya.co.jp/WM/db/NTRPAGCJ.asx