AVGN's being too hard on the Sega CD.

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

AVGN's being too hard on the Sega CD.

Post by JunkerMike »

Look:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php? ... 9&type=mov

He talked about how he hated the Sega CD and how it sucked. Yet there are two games he mentioned on there that he said weren't anything special that are two of my top favorite games on the console! Well the first of those two he ripped on was Lethal Enforcers! A childhood favorite of mine, and still is to this day! Whether it's the original arcade version, Genesis, Super Nintendo or Sega CD, the game is awesome. Never played the PSOne version. The other one was Time Gal (Yeah, I love that game, and that chick is hot!). Oh well, at least he said good things about The Terminator (another top favorite of mine on the Sega CD, and also includes an awesome soundtrack courtesy of the great Tommy Tallarico). I must say I don't think I want to play Slam City after seeing this, because it looks like it's the same thing as Prize Fighter, only with Basket Ball, not boxing. I'd still like to check out Corpse Killer though. Plus James also forgot that our beloved Snatcher was also on the system, and the only version in ENGLISH as we all know. Plus there were also these great games on it:

Lords Of Thunder
Final Fight (I must say, when those other guys said it was better than arcade perfect, they were right!)
An AWESOME version of Prince of Persia with great anime-style cut scenes!
Demolition Man
Starblade (Underrated oddity from Namco)

And a few others I don't wanna bring up right now.

And finally, I don't think I've ever told anyone this, but I'll say it right here and now:I thought that Sonic CD was overrated. I never played it until I got the Sonic Gems Collection for the Gamecube, and when I finally played it, I didn't see what all the fuss was about, because it's not that great.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the guy hasn't even heard of Snatcher.

About the system though; it does have the best version of the first EWJ game: Special Edition, with the CD quality music from Tommy Tallerico (still his best work alongside EWJ2's Saturn version music, if you ask me), extra levels, hidden areas, new enemies and tons more, in other words, pure bliss.

Aside from what you and AVGN had already mentioned, I can't see much else that's really great for the system. The system has been crapped on by people, far too many times though; it's not awful, it's quite bad, especially for the asking price that it got back in the day, but nothing, you know, turdy. I wish people would just lay off it. I have a soft spot for the system to be honest, and it's not because of nostalgic reasons; I never owned one up until a year ago.
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by JunkerMike »

I got a soft spot for it too. And that one Dracula game he reviewed (Bram Stoker's Dracula) didn't look too bad. I'm eager to check that one out.
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

Lethal Enforcers never got a really good home release, and the SEGA CD version is no exception, but it was probably as close to the arcade version as you were gonna get.

SLAM CITY was a really bad game on every level, but that didn't keep my brother, his friend and I from playing a few days straight until we got 1,000,000 respect points to get to face Scottie Pippen. Plus it's worth buying the game just to hear Scottie rap. LOL
(BTW, I'm speaking of the 32x SEGA CD version)

Final Fight CD is still the best release of the game, EVER. Even better than the "arcade perfect" version released on the CAPCOM CLASSICS release. I still have the SEGA CD version and still play it from time to time.

SONIC CD was the 2nd best 2D Sonic game ever, 2nd only to Sonic 3 on Genesis. It had a great soundtrack (both the U.S. and Japanese versions), controls were solid, bright graphics and just a lot of fun to play. The whole time travel thing was a little weird, but once you got the hang of it, it was a synch to play.

At least he got Sol-Feace right. I loved that game. Hard as hell, but a lot of fun.

As much as I loved the SEGA CD, I totally understand why someone would say it was an utter failure, because, basically... it was. Other than a handful of classics such as Snatcher, it really didn't offer anything else except being the first CD-based home videogame system.

On another note, my personal favorites include:

-Snatcher (duh)
-Keio Flying Squadron
-Sonic CD
-Brutal Paws Of Fury
-Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin
-Earthworm JIM : Special Edition
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Sonic CD's an odd one. I'm a very big Sonic fan, and it was the one "proper" Sonic game that I hadn't played. I'd heard it was one of the best, as well. I was very excited to play it. When I finally got a chance to play it, I was very disappointed. The levels felt squashed and quickly designed, the learning curve was very uneven, and the time travel element felt tacked-on. It wasn't until I bought it for the Mega CD until I really started to enjoy it. I realised it wasn't supposed to be played like other Sonic games, and it was more about level-exploration than quick-paced action. Now I enjoy it quite a lot. I still don't think it's as good as the (proper) Megadrive Sonics, though.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

I find the AVGN's reviews to be somewhat well-researched most of the time, but this time I feel he was off the mark on some things. For instance, if he'd known anything about Mega CD hardware he would've understood that the Mega CD could never have been its own system -- in most games, the Mega CD only does part of the work due to the way it was designed. The BIOS animation's a good example of this -- the background's rendered by the Mega Drive and the Mega CD/Sega logos are rendered by the MCD.

As for software, all in all the Mega CD was pretty lackluster with plenty of bad FMV titles, so I'll agree with him there although his take is lacking seeing as he left out most of the system's good titles. I especially enjoyed his assessment on Sewer Shark.

Something I was a little disappointed with was how he didn't mention the system's inherent build quality-related issues -- for instance, model 1 CD-trays are known to fail after a couple of years' usage and the model 2 CD assembly is pretty flimsily manufactured (which probably shouldn't be blamed on Sega, seeing as it was manufactured by Sony and we all know how well their cost-reduced CD assemblies work -- remember the PSX/PS2?).
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I'm also partial to Willy Beamish, though the load times are quite bad in that version. It's still the first and only version I've played, so I'll always remember it on the Sega CD (until I finally pick up the PC version). I also remember enjoying Mansion of the Butterflies, which I rented. Most of the games I played on it I rented from Blockbuster.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Final Fight CD is still the best release of the game, EVER. Even better than the "arcade perfect" version released on the CAPCOM CLASSICS release. I still have the SEGA CD version and still play it from time to time.
I forgot about that one. That's my favourite beat em up of all time, probably (stuck between that and the Streets Of Rage games).

A good part of the Mega CD version is that it contained a time attack mode as well, that no other version made has. It also has the best sound/music as well. I love Final Fight CD, such a classic.
Snatcher2047
Runner
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

Post by Snatcher2047 »

epitaph wrote:I find the AVGN's reviews to be somewhat well-researched most of the time, but this time I feel he was off the mark on some things. For instance, if he'd known anything about Mega CD hardware he would've understood that the Mega CD could never have been its own system -- in most games, the Mega CD only does part of the work due to the way it was designed. The BIOS animation's a good example of this -- the background's rendered by the Mega Drive and the Mega CD/Sega logos are rendered by the MCD.

As for software, all in all the Mega CD was pretty lackluster with plenty of bad FMV titles, so I'll agree with him there although his take is lacking seeing as he left out most of the system's good titles. I especially enjoyed his assessment on Sewer Shark.

Something I was a little disappointed with was how he didn't mention the system's inherent build quality-related issues -- for instance, model 1 CD-trays are known to fail after a couple of years' usage and the model 2 CD assembly is pretty flimsily manufactured (which probably shouldn't be blamed on Sega, seeing as it was manufactured by Sony and we all know how well their cost-reduced CD assemblies work -- remember the PSX/PS2?).
Something you have to keep in mind with AVGN is (and he, himself has stated this) that his "reviews" tend to be highly exaggerated and not to be completely taken seriously, although there is some truth to his disliking of what he reviews. So, for the most part, it's not necessary to cover every single aspect of the content, because he's doing this mostly just for comedy value.
JustinAaron.com
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by JunkerMike »

Henry Spencer wrote:
I forgot about that one. That's my favourite beat em up of all time, probably (stuck between that and the Streets Of Rage games).

A good part of the Mega CD version is that it contained a time attack mode as well, that no other version made has. It also has the best sound/music as well. I love Final Fight CD, such a classic.
Yep! There was nothing not to like about it. :D
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

If anyone's still annoyed by this, he clears up why he rated the Sega CD so lowly in his new 32x review- He doesn't own Snatcher, and he can't review games he doesn't own.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php? ... 8&type=mov
Snatcher2047
Runner
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

Post by Snatcher2047 »

That 32x review was dead on. And the way he destroyed it at the end was hilarious.
JustinAaron.com
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by JunkerMike »

Snatcher2047 wrote:That 32x review was dead on. And the way he destroyed it at the end was hilarious.
You mean it's up now?????

EDIT:Just watch it. Anyway, I saw that he was aware that he had left out our beloved Snatcher, and I saw that he didn't own it either. But I still want to know what he has against Lethal Enforcers. That game was the shit (for me at least) in the early 90's when I was a small child, and to this day, it still kicks ass, no matter what system it's played on. Plus it came with The Justifier light gun! Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! I honestly never got try out the Super Scope or the Menacer, but I heard that both suck, plus the Justifier is cooler looking, so I think I'll stick with that. :D