Sega CDX HELP!!!

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Sega CDX HELP!!!

Post by shidoni »

YeeeeeeeeeARGH, I bought a Sega CDX in a second hand store... And surprise surprise, it doesn't work. The adapter seems to work, as it gets warm when plugged in... But it doesn't power up.... For some reason. It works as a CD player, curiously enough (but with no anti-skip lol).... Any help? I can grab a shot of its guts if needed... Oh yeah, and what the hell is the a/v cord supposed to look like?
Any help would be awesome...
P.S., I'm a Sega noobsauce, I'm not familliar with its systems.... Or what they look like when they do work lol~
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Oh man, why'd you buy that piece of junk in the first place? Nine times out of ten, I've heard of faults happening with that thing. All the help I can offer you is to either send it back and ask the guys from the store what the problem may be or have the system's battery examined, since it sounds like its dead. And no wonder really, it's a system so old and unloved by many people.

I'd always just emulate those sort of systems, since they are just prone for disasters otherwise.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

My Model 2 Sega CD still works fine (touch wood).

Can you believe I had it when Snatcher came out and still didn't play it immediately? KoA's marketing really sucked.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Henry: I do emulate, I just saw if for all of $5 or something... I just wanted to check it out. I'll pry her apart when I get home, see what happens...

Osiris: Yeah, I can believe that... I had never even heard of the game until I got interested in Dune. Then I was like, "Shit! Kojima!!" That's kindof sad lol...
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

http://www.multimods.com/CDXFAQ.html, specifically section 4.6 should help you. Seems like a variation of the old fuse problem, common in all Mega CD models.
Oh man, why'd you buy that piece of junk in the first place? Nine times out of ten, I've heard of faults happening with that thing. All the help I can offer you is to either send it back and ask the guys from the store what the problem may be or have the system's battery examined, since it sounds like its dead. And no wonder really, it's a system so old and unloved by many people.
Emulation only gets so-so close to the real thing imo. Yes, if you bothered with hooking up a box to your TV and got yourself one of those nifty whatever-controller->USB adapters you'd probably not notice much of a difference, but still...
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Still, it saves me the expense of buying the likes of 32X, PC Engine, Sega Saturn at least. Don't really mind how close it is to the real thing.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It's just like everything.. different tastes take peopel to different heights into a hobby. That is what I believe of everything: audio, video, cars, game consoles, etc.

Just a matter of how much into something you are, and it is a personal decision. It must be up to the level you are happy with your decision. For instance, there are people listening to pack-in headphones, or some that buy headphone amplifiers... everyone has stuff that they love and go to what the "standard" calls too much, and there are some that are happy with even less of what society says is enough. I believe it is just a matter of choosing by yourself and use society's voice just as a parameter, it is just an average after all.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

^ Wow... Well put, my friend... I definately know where your'e coming from, as being one of those types lead me to the purchace. It's like a preferance of vinyls over CDs... Epitaph, eternal gratitude, this is just what I had been looking for.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

WHOOPS DOUBLE POST AAAGRGHGR
On a note... Does anyone know what the hell this thing is? It came with my CDX and I can't figure out for the life of me what it's for... it plugs into the two controller ports.... and then something else....
Attachments
scan.jpg