The Longest Journey

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
jcgamer60
Runner

The Longest Journey

Post by jcgamer60 »

Haven't posted here in awhile so i thought i would share an opinion on a certain game i talked about on another fourms:

So this summer i'm pretty bored, so i decide to read a couple of reviews on some old adventure games. "The longest Journey", was the one that really caught my interest, with its style and atmosphere. I bought it a few days ago and just got around to finishing it today. All i can say is, wow, this game did not even come close to disappointing... This was probably the most enjoyable game i have ever played on the PC (i dont play many PC games). The story is what i found most compelling about this game. It has a great cast of characters, with witty dialogue, great voice acting, and the story itself is really engaging and well paced. You start off in a futuristic cyperpunk-like era and move on to things much greater. If you ever thought video game stories were crap (i dont) this is the game you need to play.

The length was pretty satisfactory as well. The puzzles weren't bad, although a few seemed kinda tricky.Overall i was pretty satisfied with the ending, even though i would have liked to know what happened with a few other characters.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Got to check this one out sometime, thanks for the recommendation, sounds pretty good.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Henry Spencer wrote:Got to check this one out sometime, thanks for the recommendation, sounds pretty good.
This is definitely, now, one of my favourite adventure games of all time. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it aswell.

They have a sequel called Dreamfall which i look forward to playing next.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

Another one of my favorite games: perfect story, cinematics, gameplay, voice actors (I love Sarah Hamilton) characters (cant beat burns flipper) atmosphere, etc...I agree its my favorite PC gaming experience,

Dreamfall was also an amazing game but sadly wasnt as good TLJ. The two games tie in perfectly together but...well...I dont want to give anything away so just play it and see for yourself :grin:.

I cant wait for Dreamfall: Chapters...even though I hate episodic gaming.

Check out my old blog about TLJ and Dreamfall complete with videos from both games ~ http://neokobejunker.gametrailers.com/g ... g&id=64969
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

I started playing this, but the atmosphere of the game's initial environments as well as its use of in medias res storytelling (which I really dislike, it's like saying 'A' without following with 'B', but instead 'C' or 'F' or something) turned me off. Guess I'll have to give it a second chance sometime, given the amount of people who praise it.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

I have yet to play Dreamfall (prolly during these summer holydays), but TLJ is for sure one of the greatest games I have played, at least storywise. The ending is a bit rushed, imo, but that's why I need to play Dreamfall, to know if there's more explanations about some things.
It's probably the longest adventure game I've played, so the title fits like a glove :P
The game actually grabbed me from the very beginning. I was only checking it out, while choosing a game to start playing, and only stopped "checking it" 2 hours later :| Really got me addicted for a couple of weeks, lol.

@Epitaph: Hm, yeah, you should give it another try, mainly because the initial setting/atmosphere and story will change a lot after an hour or so. Dramatic-change like (imo).
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Well, I'm about to give it another shot. :)

Oh, and before I forget - any prospect buyer of this game, be sure to get the DVD/2 CD-rerelease version if you want to play it on an OS from this side of the millennium. The original 4 CD version has a tendency to crash at the end of every FMV (some people claim this is the result of incompatibility with Creative sound card drivers, I'm not too sure about that myself). I have to run it in a virtual machine in order to be able to play it.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I really like the use of prerendered backgrounds in The Longest Journey. I know some poeple don't like prerendered stuff, but i really think it goes well with certain games.

Also, Modnar, i think i can somewhat understand why you dislike the approach of episodic gaming. I would also rather play a full game rather than just play it in chunks that come out every few months (assuming it will only be a few months apart for every release). Just look at it this way, at least we're getting the sequels :cool: , unlike a few other games, that are still awaiting word on future installments to complete their stories (Shenmue....). I'm sure Henry Spencer can relate to that..