Max Payne

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Max Payne

Post by Henry Spencer »

Anyone else here like this classic series of games? Brooding storyline matched with awesome gunplay makes this a classic for me. In fact, I'd go far as to say in 3D, this is my favourite shooter of all time, from any perspective. Probably due to its story and fun gameplay that I can pick up anytime. Really great noir. I look forward to Alan Wake eagerly (which is a rare commodity for me nowadays; looking forward to upcoming games releases).
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I enjoyed Max Payne on PC years ago. Still haven't played the 2nd one.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Max Payne is awesome. The dark story, the good dialogue, the likeable hero, and, of course, bullet-time. The game was excellent. Just don't play it on the consoles (especially the PS2 versions), cause they ain't as good.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Yup, the PS2 version sucked. The best version was the PC version. I hope they make Alan Wake as much fun as well as not only concentrating on the storyline. That's my only concern with the look of the game.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

I'm from Finland, so of course I've played it. As I recall, its success even made the evening news.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Max Payne, classic? It only came out six years ago!
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, you get the gist of what I am saying, even if I used the wrong wording. :smile:
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Skycladiana wrote:Max Payne, classic? It only came out six years ago!
What's wrong with that? Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy is a classic, and it came out back in 1997-1999
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Snake700 wrote:
What's wrong with that? Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy is a classic, and it came out back in 1997-1999
Metal Gear Solid is a continuation of a series that just hit the twenty year mark this month. Final Fantasy turns twenty this December. They've both been around since the MSX/NES era of 8-bit, 2D games, so they've both got a much more legitimate claim to that "classic" status, even in their 32-bit, 3D incarnations.
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Age doesn't have much to do with whether or not something qualifies as a classic. You can get such a thing as a "modern classic", you know?
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

87th wrote:Age doesn't have much to do with whether or not something qualifies as a classic. You can get such a thing as a "modern classic", you know?
No, my friend. There is no such thing as a "modern classic." That's just a lie TNT cooked up to convince people to watch The Shawshank Redemption a thousand goddamn times...
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Skycladiana wrote:
87th wrote:Age doesn't have much to do with whether or not something qualifies as a classic. You can get such a thing as a "modern classic", you know?
No, my friend. There is no such thing as a "modern classic." That's just a lie TNT cooked up to convince people to watch The Shawshank Redemption a thousand goddamn times...
I'll always consider Max Payne a classic, regardless of age.
Last edited by ratperson665 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Henry Spencer wrote:Yup, the PS2 version sucked. The best version was the PC version. I hope they make Alan Wake as much fun as well as not only concentrating on the storyline. That's my only concern with the look of the game.
I gotta say, I loved that version! But Maybe that's just because it was the first one I played. But, yeah. the PC version is the best one.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I'd have to say that I don't agree with the use of the word, but you are entitled to your opinion. The problem is in the use of a word that describes the general feeling of the population towards simply an opinion on the game. If I use generalizations that describe the general feeling of the population to make an opinion, and that opinion is not reflected in the general population's feelings, then I am not making an opinion.. but trying to force it into others by trying to validate it with the general consensus and thus, implying that your opinion is superior.

According to M&w:
Main Entry: 1clas·sic
Pronunciation: 'kla-sik
Function: adjective
Etymology: French or Latin; French classique, from Latin classicus of the highest class of Roman citizens, of the first rank, from classis
1 a : serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works> b : TRADITIONAL, ENDURING <classic designs> c : characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year <a classic suit>
2 : of or relating to the ancient Greeks and Romans or their culture : CLASSICAL
3 a : historically memorable <a classic battle> b : noted because of special literary or historical associations <Paris is the classic refuge of expatriates>
4 a : AUTHENTIC, AUTHORITATIVE b : TYPICAL <a classic example of chicanery> <a classic error>
5 capitalized : of or relating to the period of highest development of Mesoamerican and especially Mayan culture about A.D. 300-900
Since our hobby is in reality so young, and using such a term to define a game is meaningless (you could argue it is relative, but that completely voids the meaning of the word).

I believe that saying that Max Payne is a great implementation of the mainstream tendencies in gaming at its time would be more appropriate.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Like I said before, I realise I used the wrong working, but you get my point. I'm only giving a quick rundown of what I think of the game, not an overloaded synopsis on exactly why I think it's so good.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Henry Spencer wrote:Like I said before, I realise I used the wrong working, but you get my point. I'm only giving a quick rundown of what I think of the game, not an overloaded synopsis on exactly why I think it's so good.
Sorry about that, I was answering to ratperson665. I should have been more specific by quiting his reply.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

It's no problem at all. :smile:
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:I'd have to say that I don't agree with the use of the word, but you are entitled to your opinion. The problem is in the use of a word that describes the general feeling of the population towards simply an opinion on the game. If I use generalizations that describe the general feeling of the population to make an opinion, and that opinion is not reflected in the general population's feelings, then I am not making an opinion.. but trying to force it into others by trying to validate it with the general consensus and thus, implying that your opinion is superior.

According to M&w:
Main Entry: 1clas·sic
Pronunciation: 'kla-sik
Function: adjective
Etymology: French or Latin; French classique, from Latin classicus of the highest class of Roman citizens, of the first rank, from classis
1 a : serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works> b : TRADITIONAL, ENDURING <classic designs> c : characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year <a classic suit>
2 : of or relating to the ancient Greeks and Romans or their culture : CLASSICAL
3 a : historically memorable <a classic battle> b : noted because of special literary or historical associations <Paris is the classic refuge of expatriates>
4 a : AUTHENTIC, AUTHORITATIVE b : TYPICAL <a classic example of chicanery> <a classic error>
5 capitalized : of or relating to the period of highest development of Mesoamerican and especially Mayan culture about A.D. 300-900
Since our hobby is in reality so young, and using such a term to define a game is meaningless (you could argue it is relative, but that completely voids the meaning of the word).

I believe that saying that Max Payne is a great implementation of the mainstream tendencies in gaming at its time would be more appropriate.
I wasn't saying my opinion was the superior one. I was just stating what I believe.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Videogames in general have only existed since the late seventies. How long does a game need to exist for it be considered a "classic"? Unlike films, games only improve with technological advancements, and therefore can always continue creating something bigger and better than something that existed years before. Max Payne is a far better game than the original Contra for example, although some people may feel more nostalgic for that franchise because its existed much longer.

Your statements that the Metal Gear franchise is classic simply because it dates back twenty years now is ridiculous. Those earlier titles wouldn't even be remembered today if it weren't for their 3D revisionist counterparts. Those new games are classics, not the originals.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Missing wrote:
Videogames in general have only existed since the late seventies. How long does a game need to exist for it be considered a "classic"? Unlike films, games only improve with technological advancements, and therefore can always continue creating something bigger and better than something that existed years before. Max Payne is a far better game than the original Contra for example, although some people may feel more nostalgic for that franchise because its existed much longer.

Your statements that the Metal Gear franchise is classic simply because it dates back twenty years now is ridiculous. Those earlier titles wouldn't even be remembered today if it weren't for their 3D revisionist counterparts. Those new games are classics, not the originals.
I don't believe I said it was. I was responding to a previous comment that MGS and Final Fantasy are both "classics" even though they both came out in the late 90's (I'm assuming this person must've meant FFVII). I only wanted to provide a reminder that both MGS and FF are franchises that began 20 years ago, and that if you want to designate either as "classic," that you have to recognize their roots, as well, especially if they stretch back that far.

Frankly, I'm not fond of the term "classic," myself, because it doesn't really mean that much to me. It roughly means that it's accepted as noteworthy, influential and widely enjoyed by a great number of people-- that doesn't mean it's any good. Gone with the Wind is a classic film, but I can't stand it. It's a term that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality, especially in the understanding of one's own personal opinion. Still, if you're going to use the term, you ought to use it correctly.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Skycladiana wrote:I don't believe I said it was. I was responding to a previous comment that MGS and Final Fantasy are both "classics" even though they both came out in the late 90's (I'm assuming this person must've meant FFVII). I only wanted to provide a reminder that both MGS and FF are franchises that began 20 years ago, and that if you want to designate either as "classic," that you have to recognize their roots, as well, especially if they stretch back that far.

Frankly, I'm not fond of the term "classic," myself, because it doesn't really mean that much to me. It roughly means that it's accepted as noteworthy, influential and widely enjoyed by a great number of people-- that doesn't mean it's any good. Gone with the Wind is a classic film, but I can't stand it. It's a term that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quality, especially in the understanding of one's own personal opinion. Still, if you're going to use the term, you ought to use it correctly.
I would say "classic" does mean that it's good. Gone With the Wind is still a great film no matter what you or anyone else thinks of it. It may not appeal to you, but there's no questioning its greatness (unless you want to get smug).

Either way, let's not go into any further rhetoric banner about our choice of words. We all know what one another is talking about, regardless of our specific terminology. If you don't like the term, then don't use it in a discussion, and then turn around to say that the word itself is really insignificant.

I personally don't like to categorize things based on "genre", because I don't like to specify anything as belonging to a certain category, when most creative forms (at least the good ones) expand into all different categories, some being unclassifiable. But that too is merely rhetoric, because the main point is only to classify its basic components, to sketch an outline for the average consumer who knows little about a film or game, but is simply looking to expand upon his specific interests.

And all that nonsense means is that arguing over words is unimportant, when the meaning is all that counts. As long as we're all speaking the same language, there shouldn't be any difficulty understanding one another.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Seriously, I don't put this much thought into my posts on the internet when posting (nor should I).
Hence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon#Soc ... s_and_Uses.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Henry Spencer wrote:Seriously, I don't put this much thought into my posts on the internet when posting (nor should I).
Hence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon#Soc ... s_and_Uses.
Well, at least you don't get smug about it.