Phoenix Wright 3 / Gyakuten Saiban 3

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
jcgamer60
Runner

Phoenix Wright 3 / Gyakuten Saiban 3

Post by jcgamer60 »

The game came out in Japan on the 23rd and has an English language option. Has anyone started playing this game yet?

I'm currently awaiting for mine to arrive in the mail, which i ordered off of Play-Asia.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Absolutely. The ROM was leaked on Monday the 20th, and as soon as my R4 came two days later I started playing it. The official copy I ordered from Play-Asia has not yet arrived. I might beat this ROM before I even get the cart itself, as I'm now on the final case.

This certainly is an adventure gaming masterpiece. The first one was good, the second one was mediocre, but this third one is sublime, reeking of quality, polish and humor. This is certainly a must have for any DS owner, in my opinion...one of the best adventure and DS games of all time, and certainly the best of the Phoenix Wright trilogy. A total crime that this took three and a half years to come out here!

Don't ask me why I think that's funny, I just do. Took the picture myself! Sorry it's so big.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

Any one had trouble using a 4 GB MicroSD card with the R4 for NDS?

I know ppl who it plays fine for and I just use a 2 GB MicroSD card (I'm cheap) and have no issues. A pal of mine uses a 4 GB card and has had issues with it. I tell him its due to the fact that he has a cheap as shit MicroSD card and needs to get a good one ( I use Kingston and never had any issues).

Your experiences with the R4 and 4 GB cards?
http://fearthegaychicken.com/
You Know You DO!!! LOL! :lol:
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

I wasn't even under the impression that 4gb MicroSD cards existed, but I suppose they must be available by now. My card is a 2gb SanDisk, and I've had no problems with it; roomy enough for me too.
Reborn from the Ashes

Post by Reborn from the Ashes »

Still waiting for my copy. I'm expecting/hoping it will arrive on Tuesday.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

8bitsonic wrote:I wasn't even under the impression that 4gb MicroSD cards existed, but I suppose they must be available by now. My card is a 2gb SanDisk, and I've had no problems with it; roomy enough for me too.
Yeah, the 4 GB have been out for a few months now. Later this year SanDisk and Toshiba will release 6 and 8 GB ones.

I'm sticking to my 2 GB one myself also. It does and stores all I need.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

4gb are SDHC, i believe, and not regular SD cards. I don't think the R4 even supports SDHC.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

No, its listed as supporting the 4 GB MicroSD cards. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1202

I just use a 2GB one. I'm not sure why my pal's is hit and miss with some games. Could even be bad ROMs. IDK, I just wondered if anyone here has actually IRL had a good or bad experience with R4 and the 4 GB cards.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I would find out whether or not your friends card is SD or SDHC. I don't own a R4 myself, but i know for sure that it won't support SDHC. Even if it is SD i would imagine current 4gb cards would be very hit and miss atm due to slow access and read times. Even 2gb cards have been reported to crash on certain games.

Btw, this game is really good so far :)
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

Its his problem... I'll let him deal with it. :lol:

I just wanted to know because I toyed with the idea of maybe getting a bigger one for x-mas later this year. 2 GBs has been fine for me so far but with nothing but more and more NDS roms coming out (here and in Japan) that an upgrade would be good.

I got a bit spooked with my pals issue so I just wanted to put the word out and see if others had anything like his hard experience.

If its not broke don't fix it I guess. I'll stick to my 2 GB Kingston. :grin:
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I'm on the 4th case and this game blows the 2nd game out of the water. I wasn't that impressed with the 2nd entry in the series since most of the cases were predictable, except for the last case which is possibly my favourite case in the whole series.

This game is brilliant. All the cases so far seem really well thought out, and has lots of interesting characters, which really gives this game a lot of charm.
Reborn from the Ashes

I got mine on Tuesday. Only on Case four so far, I'm trying to stretch it out a little, make the experience last. :P

Case 4 spoiler
Spoiler:
Out of interest, how many people figured it out before the fourth case? I'm not sure how I feel (imitation not intended, :razz:) about having that clue given in the second case.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

You know what? These games are the best reason for Konami to (re)-release Snatcher and Policenauts. American/European gamers have all shown an immense attraction to games of this nature, and the right thing to do financially would be to release them again. Not to mention we all want to see them here again... :)
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Finally completed this game today, and I can say this game will not disappoint. I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

I suppose if I were to nitpick, my only complaint would be that this is just another gba port, meaning no extra cases were added to make use of the DS hardware like the first game.
Reborn from the Ashes

The third game isn't even out in North America yet, and they've already released the English Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGvGe_V4oVE
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Did you guys know it was Jeremy Blaustein who translated PW3?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Holy shit! How'd you find that out? :shock:

It would make sense though, he is one of the best at localisation/translation. He's the only one I keep track of too.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Henry Spencer wrote:
Osiris wrote:Did you guys know it was Jeremy Blaustein who translated PW3?
Holy shit! How'd you find that out? :shock:

It would make sense though, he is one of the best at localisation/translation. He's the only one I keep track of too.
News to me too. Kind of cool, considering how great the PW3 localization is. Did he work on the other games in the series as well?
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:Holy shit! How'd you find that out? :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Blaustein
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Do the translators proofread these games much? I remember the Japanese version with the english language selection had a ton of errors. Even the US version has errors from reports i've read.

Besides that, this series is well translated with neat references to American pop culture and such.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

jcgamer60 wrote:Do the translators proofread these games much? I remember the Japanese version with the english language selection had a ton of errors. Even the US version has errors from reports i've read.

Besides that, this series is well translated with neat references to American pop culture and such.
I don't know the particulars of PW's localization process, but I am aware the Japanese versions have, up to now, contained English text. Whether that is a rushed job of the full English version's text or a separate job altogether, I don't know. Can anyone who's played both versions of the same game shed some light on this? I'm interested in finding out myself.

Let me tell you something about translation, though (and I can speak from personal experience). If you see spelling or even grammar errors even if the text otherwise sounds natural and has good word choice, that isn't always the translator's fault. Companies often don't pay freelance translators very much, which means they basically have to go as quick as possible through these projects so they can move on to the next one to make a decent living. If companies only coughed up more money for localizations (which is starting to happen somewhat), you'd see better work. At least in the case of outsourced translations. That way the translator can afford to spend more time on one project's text.

Companies like Square Enix do everything in-house now, though, which allows for more oversight and control over what goes on. And since the translator is an employee of the company, they don't feel pressured to rush through the text. The reason that not every company has in-house translators is because for some, it's cheaper to outsource the texts to freelancers. But this isn't a good idea for companies that do a lot of text-heavy games, like SE, because they have a reason for keeping people on full-time and can do more to maintain quality that way.

In the case of PW, I would also ask where Capcom's proofreading was if the text does indeed contain that many errors.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Ah, i see. I guess most of the blame would be with Capcom then, as we stated about the lack of proofreading. Thanks for the informative post, I had no idea translators work in those kind of schedules and lack of decent pay.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

jcgamer60 wrote:I had no idea translators work in those kind of schedules and lack of decent pay.
It's not that the pay is always bad, but the lack of any real union means there's always someone willing to go below you and take a job for less. It really sucks.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:
jcgamer60 wrote:I had no idea translators work in those kind of schedules and lack of decent pay.
It's not that the pay is always bad, but the lack of any real union means there's always someone willing to go below you and take a job for less. It really sucks.
It's one of those jobs you have to really love, huh?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Anyone catch the MGS1 reference Jeremy worked into PW3? You probably did, if you're a fan of both.