Movie?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
LiO

Movie?

Post by LiO »

Hi. I'm new here...

Sorry if this has already been asked before but.

His Hideo Kojima thinking about making a movie out of the Metal Gear series?

Because that would hit the movies and fans so hard...

:D

And a lot of good actors already have a good resemblance with a lot of the carachters.

LiO
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Ahh, It has been debated over many a time whether a movie (if happening at all) should be made. Im sure eventually someone will try to buy rights for a movie, and it better be made in Japan. American game movies always suck. An anime wouldn't be too bad either :)
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

I too would prefer an animated adaption by a Japanese studio such as AIC or Sunrise (the same studios that animated the FMV scenes in Policenauts and ZOE respectively). The premium pack for MGS contained an artwork in one booklets done by ZoE's character designer, which is evidence enough that the game can translate into anime (even better since they can get away with using the voice talents from the game).

A live-action version could work if given to the right director, but I'm affraid they might give the rights to a talentless douchebag such as Paul W.S. Anderson (I hated all of his licensed adaptions and his success with Mortal Kombat was a fluke to begin with).
hybridtheory

Post by hybridtheory »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:I too would prefer an animated adaption by a Japanese studio such as AIC or Sunrise (the same studios that animated the FMV scenes in Policenauts and ZOE respectively). The premium pack for MGS contained an artwork in one booklets done by ZoE's character designer, which is evidence enough that the game can translate into anime (even better since they can get away with using the voice talents from the game).

A live-action version could work if given to the right director, but I'm affraid they might give the rights to a talentless douchebag such as Paul W.S. Anderson (I hated all of his licensed adaptions and his success with Mortal Kombat was a fluke to begin with).

Or Uwe Boll. I think Kinji Fukasatu (if he was alive) would do a good mgs adaptaion.
I met the hideo kojima !!!111
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

W.S. Anderson is a complete moron, I saw Resident Evil Apocalypse and ended up just shouting at the screen in the cinema, it was God awful. Personally, I hope it never happens, animated or live-action - the level of detail and splendid interactivity that makes Kojima games what they are couldn't be present without affecting the quality of the film (like cameras constantly roving over references, and a ridiculous amount of referential dialogue). For me, the fun of Kojima games is discovery, and that level of interactivity is precisely what he challenges with his games. Sounds like I'm a real miserable bastard, but I love the games.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

There's always that comic I've seen in stores recently if you dig that sort of thing. I thought the art was pretty cool, although comics are a bit pricey.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

A movie actually was just announced. Ryuhei Kitamura, the man who directed Twin Snakes, is said to be directing the film. Apparently, Kojima and Kitamura got into a discussion about it after the premiere of Kitamura's new Godzilla film (I guess Kojima like it). All that was really announced though was that if a film was going to be made, Kojima would be a big part of the process. He'd be there to advise Kitamura every step of the way I'm sure. Not that it'll assure the film's success.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

ReasonWhyNot wrote:I already announced this news all over GameFAQs and the IMDb boards. I can't believe I forgot to mention it here, but a movie has been announced. Ryuhei Kitamura, the man who directed Twin Snakes, will be directing the film (it was discussed between Kitamura and Kojima at the premiere of the latter's new Godzilla film). So far, nothing has really been mentioned on whether it'll be live-action or anime or who will be cast to do the parts, but Kojima has said he will be directly involved in the production. The film will be obviously be a stand-alone story in the series. Anyway, Kitamura will begin the project sometime after he comes to the states to create films (which will be relatively soon), so expect more news in the near future (probably early 2005). But that means the movie will be American made per se. Will it be any good?? I personally don't think Kitamura's cut out for directing a movie based on the series, but I can't comment until I at least see what it looks like.
Uh,Source?

Personally, while I liked Versus, I wasn't particularly fond of Kitamura's treatment of the series in Twin Snakes. It's not the goofy stunts that bothered me, but rather the overused of the bullet-time effects to the point of self-parody.

To be honest, I think the most suitable for a Metal Gear film (especially an animated one) would've been Mamoru Oshii. His storytelling technique seems more compatible with Kojima's than Kitamura's.

Also, if they make a Metal Gear film, it better be based on the first Metal Gear game (not Solid) ever.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

My choices would have to be either Takeshi Kitano or Takashi Miike 8)
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:Uh,Source?
It was announced on G4-TechTV on the show Screen Savers. They had one of the creators for Ain'tItCoolNews and he was the one who announced it. It's probably already verified on the site. Of course, you could always go against your better judgement for once and trust me without any sort of proof.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Just checked Aintitcool and they seem to passing the whole thing as some fabricated rumor.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18918

It makes sense to me, considering Kojima himself already denied any development of a movie not so long ago.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:It makes sense to me, considering Kojima himself already denied any development of a movie not so long ago.
Maybe Kojima just doesn't want to get anyone's hopes up. It still surprises me that no matter how many bad films based on videogames get released (which is just about every game-based film out there), people still have desperately high hopes that their favorite franchise will make the perfect film. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FDIS

Post by FDIS »

Hi, i'm new to junker HQ's forum, and basically registered for this post only so far.
Johnny Undaunted wrote:I too would prefer an animated adaption by a Japanese studio such as AIC or Sunrise (the same studios that animated the FMV scenes in Policenauts and ZOE respectively).
If the end credits for Anubis (ZOE2) are correct it was MADHOUSE, not Sunrise. that did the 2-d animation for said game. Though Sunrise did do the animation for the ZOE animes (at least the movie, that's the only one i've seen). I don't think i'm wrong, but I haven't played ZOE2 in a while so I could be.
LiO

Post by LiO »

After all I read on sites, I think that a movie would be great but MG wouldn't be the same. I think MG was based on discovering stuff by urself via a game. But still, a movie would be nice. :P
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

hybridtheory wrote:I think Kinji Fukasatu (if he was alive) would do a good mgs adaptaion.
No chance in hell.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

ReasonWhyNot wrote: love him or hate him, you have to expect crazy shit.
Sounds like how a lot of my friends describe Kojima. Could be a good match.