Indigo Prophecy... Is it good?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
jcgamer60
Runner

Indigo Prophecy... Is it good?

Post by jcgamer60 »

I keep reading comparisons to Shenmue with this game. Shenmue being my favourite series of all time, i'm finding this hard to swallow.

Can anyone explain in detail why this game is good or not?
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Its worth it, if only to see the downfall the story takes in the middle of the game. It goes from a pretty suspenseful murder mystery, but then degrades into what is basically the American Dragon Ball Z.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

It starts off well enough, but don't go in there expecting Shenmue. I thought it was pretty damn turgid, to be honest.

Definitely the biggest let down, is the latter half of the game, which is truly codswallop.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Eh, I thought the games was pretty decent. I mean, I picked it up for 15 bucks at Gamestop. The comparison to Shenmue is due to the fact that the game uses the same "QTE" style mini-games to drive certain scenes forward with a modicum of interactivity.

In short, it's worth the play through.
X_Lupin
Runner

Post by X_Lupin »

It was truly an amazing experience, for the most part.

Very deep storyline with distinct and realistic dialog and character development.

Unfortunately, like others have said, it does become monumentally fuckwitted towards the end, where all realism simultaneously shoots out the window, never to be seen again.

The game, however, is comparable to a modern day Shenmue, except with more DBZ thrown in at random.

All in all, get it.

Also
Spoiler:
SEX!
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess i will skip out on this one since the majority claim the game gets messy near the end...

Have these particular developers made anything else worthwhile? I was reading on wikipedia that they made a game called Omikron and are currently working on a PS3 exclusive title called Heavy Rain.

I was quite impressed by this teaser trailer for Heavy Rain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZtb718OvVI

The acting seems impressive for video game standards.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

I never finished it... What I played tho was fun. Since you can get it cheap these days might as well give it a go. I recall it being more original in the storytelling aspects then most games contemporary with it.
http://fearthegaychicken.com/
You Know You DO!!! LOL! :lol:
Marc
General

Re: Indigo Prophecy... Is it good?

Post by Marc »

I loved every minute of Indigo Prophecy. I'm looking forward to Heavy Rain.
The Hero

Re: Indigo Prophecy... Is it good?

Post by The Hero »

This is one of my all time favorite games. But I'm also a huge fan of point & click adventure games and games with a good storyline and presentation. To me, this is one of the few games that really feels like an interactive movie, in a good way.

So if you like adventure games, you should give this one a try, even though the story gets really weird near the end. I can understand why it didn't fall into everyones taste, pretty much only geeky adventure nerds like this one, like me! :P

I can't wait for Heavy Rain, finally a new game from the Indigo Prophecy team! :D
"Treat your cardboard box with care. Take care of the box, and it will take care of you."