Professor Layton and the Curious Village!

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
daknight

Professor Layton and the Curious Village!

Post by daknight »

Though I made a thread (even though I am a new one here ^^;; ) About this game that came out for the DS. I have a feeling many people here will probaly like this game, I got it myself and have been playing it...and I been addicted to it. The story is that you are hired for a job on finding a secret treasure someone left that will give rights to the person that higher you to claim his fortune (since he pass away). The problem complicates cause of the people in this town being obsess with puzzle (brain teaser is a more proper term I believe) and for any clue you try to find about your quest you'll have to do a puzzle they offer...and the puzzle aren't exactly that easy.

One that I enjoy was the 'How many times do three or more of the SAME number fall in order in a row in a digital clock? The clock is based on 12 hours and not military time, you must calculate AM and PM time'

Took me awhile to figure it out myself, but this difference to other kind of games make it interesting as on top of this puzzles, there the main one which what you were hired for. The style of the game is rather unique and is consitance as the scenes are all done in this style (by scenes I mean the anime based on and the ones where you are going around talk and engaging in conversation). I higly recommend to give the game a try, you can see a trailer for it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZOAqRdDBU
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I love puzzle games, now all I need is a DS...
daknight

Post by daknight »

JimboKudo wrote:I love puzzle games, now all I need is a DS...
You will love this game most likely then, some of the puzzle are really tricky but worth awhile. Add to that that Nintendo will be releasing puzzle for the game weekly and you have a game with legs cause of this added puzzles :D

For most lover of Snatcher, I would indeed recommend a DS cause of the adventure like games making a come-back in that system (Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, Professor Layton). I personaly still have my first system (the DS phat as peopole call it...is not fat!! Is just muscular...yeah is ALL muscle! <.<). I still recommend the DS light though. Be on the lockout for specials among other thing (like the Gamestop one, bring a GBA SP and you can get the DS light for 99 or if you bring the old DS you get it for 70)
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

daknight wrote:
You will love this game most likely then, some of the puzzle are really tricky but worth awhile. Add to that that Nintendo will be releasing puzzle for the game weekly and you have a game with legs cause of this added puzzles :D

For most lover of Snatcher, I would indeed recommend a DS cause of the adventure like games making a come-back in that system (Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, Professor Layton). I personaly still have my first system (the DS phat as peopole call it...is not fat!! Is just muscular...yeah is ALL muscle! <.<). I still recommend the DS light though. Be on the lockout for specials among other thing (like the Gamestop one, bring a GBA SP and you can get the DS light for 99 or if you bring the old DS you get it for 70)
I've heard a lot about the Phoenix Wright series, but I've never played them. I'm not sure what Hotel Dusk or Trace Memory are though. It sounds good. I wish I had the cash on me right now, but I guess I'll have to wait. I'm a big fan of good adventure games, so I'd probably buy the DS just for these games. Besides, as you said, it's getting much cheaper.
daknight

Post by daknight »

JimboKudo wrote:
daknight wrote:

I've heard a lot about the Phoenix Wright series, but I've never played them. I'm not sure what Hotel Dusk or Trace Memory are though. It sounds good. I wish I had the cash on me right now, but I guess I'll have to wait. I'm a big fan of good adventure games, so I'd probably buy the DS just for these games. Besides, as you said, it's getting much cheaper.
Trace Memory is the first Adventure game for the DS and I admit is lacking, the story had a lot to be desire but it had some good potential in the puzzles that was clearly use to the max with Hotel Dusk (same developer). Hotel Dusk is somewhat new, but to me is one of the best adventure like games for the DS. The story is mature and well made, the game itself has a film noir style to it and the art of the game is unique.

Here is a trailer of it so you get and idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPq5NRJGRUs

Since you already know Phoenix Wright series not much I should tell you about, just that everyone I introduce to it has gotten hook to it unable to put it down. Even my Dad who doesn't play much game stay hook finishing the first case without stoping xP The fourst game on the series is soon coming out :D More than enough to keep you entertain till the Policenauts patch is release xP
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

MUST GET DS. Seriously, those games look awesome! That's next on my list of videogames to buy (along with a ds).