Final Fantasy Tactics DS

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Final Fantasy Tactics DS

Post by violentpig »

So far so good. I love the fact that you can start the game on "Hard" as tactical RPG's are definately the game I'm best at (although SF2 is still my single best game), but I've still yet to find it too challenging. The only game that I've really ever had trouble with is Fire Emblem on Gamecube on the hardest setting. For those that have played it, you know what I'm talking about.

Only thing that sucks is the first few hours is pretty much a tutorial on everything in the game, I was hoping hard mode would let you just get at it. It's not as good as the first FFTactics, but for me it's a really high standard to try and match. The only games I liked better than FFT is MGS4 (all time fav) and Zelda:OOT (former fav).

With the # of missions it'll be a long game, definately I recommend it as a buy.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Junker Gear Snatcher
Favorite Game: (Ask me sometime, PMs welcome)
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid series (all of them)
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
-MGS: Portable Ops
-MGS: Portable Ops +
-MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
Snatcher
(Policenauts someday, thanks to you dedicated folks.)

Re: Final Fantasy Tactics DS

Post by Junker Gear Snatcher »

Yeah, the first Tactics was a blast. Me and a friend of mine found some codes for the gameshark and began making our own unique classes, you could mix appearance, portraits, names, job names and set your own skills.

To make it fair we gave ourselves lower stats, but crazy skills and mixed our job classes, like I had this one Lune Knight with Engineer abilities, so like Stasis Sword and arm shot, etc.

Gave us an addition three playthroughs, you could hack the game to pieces, boost the enemies, etc. (just not bosses)
Did the same in Fire Emblem for the Gamecube, but only to get a Greil in my party, only for kicks.

BUT I beat the game before hacking it and I didn't hack it to cheat, I'm only into unlocking additional stuff.

Have you played Fire Emblem for the Wii? I found that one to be harder than the Gamecube one, even on Hard. Especially since your party members change every act... jeez...and then you have to pit your teams against each other, 'cept the other is computer controlled, but they have YOUR stats! A level 10 archer can NOT take on a level 19 Sniper... but I loved the challenge.
----------------------------------
Listening to my own "Policenaudio."
Author with one finished book,
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

And yet I still find time to be a Junker.
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

violentsnake wrote:So far so good. I love the fact that you can start the game on "Hard" as tactical RPG's are definately the game I'm best at (although SF2 is still my single best game), but I've still yet to find it too challenging. The only game that I've really ever had trouble with is Fire Emblem on Gamecube on the hardest setting. For those that have played it, you know what I'm talking about.

Only thing that sucks is the first few hours is pretty much a tutorial on everything in the game, I was hoping hard mode would let you just get at it. It's not as good as the first FFTactics, but for me it's a really high standard to try and match. The only games I liked better than FFT is MGS4 (all time fav) and Zelda:OOT (former fav).

With the # of missions it'll be a long game, definately I recommend it as a buy.

Is Final Fantasy Tactics DS the same as the remake/port for the psp, War of the Lions? Because the new tactics games (the "spiritual sequels") are freaking horrible compared to the original & the psp port of the original.

War of the lions was probably the most pleasent surprise for my psp after hearing about Portable Ops, although the remake of Star Ocean 1 & the remake/port of Star Ocean 2 later this year come close.

Dear Science, i hope they port Xenogears to the PSP and fix the 2nd disc up a little.

"Xenogears for the PSP, 2010"
Believe.
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

Actually, the Tactics DS is a Tactics Advance 2, but it's not like Advance and it's gotten some great reviews. It stars Luso, the secret character in War of the Lions.

I myself didn't like Advance, however Tactics A2 isn't a continuation persay, as far as I know, maybe the odd reference.

Can't judge a game by it's prequels. OR sequels for that matter.
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Junker Gear Snatcher wrote:Actually, the Tactics DS is a Tactics Advance 2, but it's not like Advance and it's gotten some great reviews. It stars Luso, the secret character in War of the Lions.

I myself didn't like Advance, however Tactics A2 isn't a continuation persay, as far as I know, maybe the odd reference.

Can't judge a game by it's prequels. OR sequels for that matter.
Sequels & Prequels have no affect on The Original Final Fantasy Tactics, so I have no clue what you mean by "can't judge a game based on it's prequels or sequels." I'm saying the new games based on the original tactics, which was great, are lame in comparison, although I haven't tried out A2 yet. Then again, I think Kingdom Hearts is the only thing remotely original and worth while Square Enix has done since their inception, where many do not terribly care for it, for what it's worth.

I do not trust reviews at all, and the plethora of perfect 10's for MGS4 should re-affirm anyone's suspicions that industry reviewers are paid-off (hint: look at every review for final fantasy VIII and afterwards, then compare those same initial reviews to later remarks and / or retrospectives. They all seem to praise whatever Square Enix churns out, then when time passes 7 public opinion solidifies, they pretend like they said "fuc* FFX-2 lolz" all along. I find this mainly in magazines, but then again, hardly anyone reads those anymore, I suppose).
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

By prequels and sequels, I mean you can't judge A2 based on your views of Tactics Advance. The DS one IS Advance 2... HOWEVER.... I've heard they're nothing alike.

I agree with you about reviews, and I kinda apologize, I don't listen to websites or magazines with reviews but I tend to stick to reviews of importers and just common folks on the internet. So I mean review in the general sense, not review as in periodicals written by "video game journalists"

On that topic, you also can't rate a game, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but that's about as valuable as a report card. Numbers say nothing about the individual, nor their effort OR product.

The only way to tell if a game is good is to play it. It's costly, but it's the truth.

I'm not a good one to talk to, at least about what isn't good. I tend to find reason amongst the unreasonable.

And also, I haven't played it. But I've been considering getting it. And to find out I read this topic and violentsnake's opinion. Things like his opinion of the game influence my purchase decisions far more than anything any "gamer site" says.
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

Nitroadict
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile

Post by Nitroadict »

Junker Gear Snatcher wrote:By prequels and sequels, I mean you can't judge A2 based on your views of Tactics Advance. The DS one IS Advance 2... HOWEVER.... I've heard they're nothing alike.

I agree with you about reviews, and I kinda apologize, I don't listen to websites or magazines with reviews but I tend to stick to reviews of importers and just common folks on the internet. So I mean review in the general sense, not review as in periodicals written by "video game journalists"

On that topic, you also can't rate a game, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but that's about as valuable as a report card. Numbers say nothing about the individual, nor their effort OR product.

The only way to tell if a game is good is to play it. It's costly, but it's the truth.

I'm not a good one to talk to, at least about what isn't good. I tend to find reason amongst the unreasonable.

And also, I haven't played it. But I've been considering getting it. And to find out I read this topic and violentsnake's opinion. Things like his opinion of the game influence my purchase decisions far more than anything any "gamer site" says.
No need to be afraid, I just have strong opinions ;D

I would definatley play all of them if I could find them all on emulator, but sadly, DS emulation has been sorely lacking in compared to PSP emulation :\.
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

I like emulators as well, I wouldn't have, but you can't rent handheld games, and during this last "generation" even previously played games are more expensive than last generation bought games.

It becomes EXTREMELY hard to tell what a good game IS nowadays.

I mean, granted, I should pay for my games, but when a new game today is 80 dollars, and a new game a few years back was 50-60 dollars. Suddenly I don't feel that it's "worth it." Because games don't have anymore "life" Suikoden 2 for the PSX is a a 60 hour game, so is Suikoden 5, they're separated by a 10 year difference, and at the time of releases a 20 dollar difference.

Nowadays, yeah, a game like Suikoden 2 is as rare as a real life Dragon, so it's REALLY expensive. 215 dollars on Ebay...

Check out THIS price tag if you don't believe me:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Suikoden-II-2-Playst ... dZViewItem
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

shadrach

Post by shadrach »

As long as there is no botched multiplayer,I will be happy. Final Fantasy Tactics was my favourite playstation game, and I do not think I could continue on in life without playing a sequel to it. In the same way you have to be a pretty big math whiz to program aimlessly something like a 3d engine. This game is a turn by turn tactical game. It seems like a fairly slow paced game, which it kind of is, but the sheer fun factor of it is INCREDIBLY hard to ignore.