Your personal top 10 games?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Re: Your personal top 10 games?

Post by zombie-flesheater »

stalepie wrote:I also like Road Avenger, but I guess it's not in my top ten. I was quite fanatical about it when it came out, though and beat it pretty quickly. (I also seem to be one of the few fans of Time Gal, but I haven't beaten that one yet).

Favorite games... hard to narrow it down to ten, but here goes:

1) Snatcher - love the graphics, music (especially PC 98 version), story, characters (favorite is Napoleon). This one is in many ways better than Blade Runner to me :)

2) Mortal Kombat (arcade). I know, I know: People say it has poor gameplay and is just about gore, but actually I disagree. The original was a cultural phenomena, at least in America. It was great in the arcades, learning about the secrets and the bugs.

3) Wipeout series (hard to pick from the first three, but the ones on the PS1 were all really cool, especially in their graphic design and futurism).

4) God of War (another Western game. Love this game's style and panache. It feels really brutal and wicked and takes you on an emotional ride like few action games before it)

5) Quake 1 (loved the original DOS game. Impeccable design and art style, with really cool sound effects by Trent Reznor. I just love the creepiness of this game's world and it was fun trying to make levels for it in Worldcraft)

6) Landstalker - should have named this one sooner. My favorite action-RPG, with some of the coolest dungeon designs I've seen in a game. Have not really played Equinox and Solstice which it is inspired by.

7) Streets of Rage - love Yuzo Koshiro and all his music, including for his current games like Etrian Odyssey and Maximum Tune. Also loved the fighting and city environments.

8) Night Striker - almost put Space Harrier, which I probably should, since Night Striker is the same kind of game and came later. But NS is a cool cyberpunk-type world that might appeal to Snatcher fans if you also like forward-scrolling shooters (think After Burner, G-Loc, Galaxy Force, etc).

9) The Immortal - just love tihs weird game on the Genesis. It was also released on IBM PC and Amiga, I think. Very strange isometric adventure where you play a wizard.

10) Castlevania - the NES original. Best music, backgrounds and gameplay. The sequels (so many of them) were great too. Big fan of the series.

Okay, I can easily list more than that, but it had to be limited to ten.
Landstalker, yes. I remember playing this one with a friend of mine back in the days. There was this dungeon where you had to solve a couple of riddles and even though it started out quite easily, those riddles ended up being somewhat tough nuts to crack. Nothing comes close to back then when we solved them all on our own after thinking about them and discussing possibilities etc. The great thing about this riddle part was that it made you scratch your head and think about a solution for quite some time, without getting frustrated, though. Can't remember too much else of the game, however :(
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

01. Snatcher (SEGA CD)
No explanation necessary at this point... I hope.

02. Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
Took the series in a radical new direction and I love every little bit of it. Still one of the most impressive looking GameCube games EVER.

03. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV : Turtles In Time (SNES)
Not the God-awful remake for the 360, but the awesome SNES version. Featuring beautiful graphics, a killer soundtrack and solid controls, you can't go wrong with this one.

04. Shenmue I/II
One of the realistic feeling games of all time, you really feel like you are diving into this world and you are living this character's life. Both games end on a cliffhanger, making the wait for part III (if it ever happens) all the more painful.

05. Sakura Wars 3 : Is Paris Burning? (Dreamcast JP)
It's hard to pick one game in the series over the others, since they are all phenomenal, but there's something about this installment that just feels so great, if only because of the huge graphics leap it makes in being the first game of the series on the Dreamcast. If there was an English version available to play that I could understand fully, this would get ranked WAY higher.

06. Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater (PS2)
I enjoy each of the first three (haven't played 4 yet) very much, but this one goes above it's predecessors on every level. It's very rare I go back and beat a game multiple times, but this is one of them.

07. Super Mario World
I remember getting this with my first SNES on a Christmas and I played it non-stop for days trying to find EVERY single hidden path and items. Very few retro games got the ammount of hours this game got from me, and I still occasionally pop it into the SNES to play it to this day.

08. Magic Knight Rayearth (SEGA Saturn)
Plays almost exactly like the SNES Zelda game (which in no way is a bad thing), has wonderfully colorful graphics, a great soundtrack and fun gameplay. The last U.S. Saturn game made the system go out with a bang, rather than a whimper.

09. Tales Of Vesperia (XBox 360)
Became a fan of the TALES series over the last few years and this one blows all it's predecessors away. Stunning visuals, great characters and story and an as-usual great soundtrack by Motoi Sakuraba made me play this game well past the hundred hour mark.

10. Muramasa : The Demon Blade (Wii)
I remember the first time I saw a trailer for this and my jaw damn near hit the floor. This game is GORGEOUS. Add in some addictive controls, good music, great characters and stories and more ninjas that you can shake a sword at, and you got a damn good game.

Honorable Mentions:
Eternal Sonata (Xbox 360)
Street Fighter III : Third Strike (Dreamcast)
Tales Of Symphonia (GameCube)
Tales Of The Abyss (PS2)
Bayonetta (Xbox 360)
Resident Evil 5 (360)
Castlevania : Symphony Of The Night (360 Arcade)
Rock Band Series (360)
Just about every other Sakura Wars game
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
jhonsadins

Post by jhonsadins »

God Hand (PlayStation 2)
I absolutely love this game. It looks very rough, the voice acting is very bad, and the humour won't agree with everyone who plays it, but none of those points bring the game down for me at all. The gameplay here is wonderfully thought-out, and the replaying a level was never a chore for me, as I loved trying out new ideas in each fight.
Randam The Hunter
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Snatcher
Policenauts
Zone Of The Ender 2
PSN: Bullingan

Post by Randam The Hunter »

1 - Metal Gear Solid
2 - Policenauts
3 - Snatcher
4 - Metal Gear Solid 3
5 - Zone Of The Ender 2
6 - Shadow Of The Colossus
7 - Final Fantasy VII
8 - inFamous
9 - Grandia
10 - Chrono Cross

8)
"Throughout history, suspiscion has always bred conflict..."
mrgone

Post by mrgone »

in no particular order:
chrono trigger
chrono cross
metal gear solid 1
policenauts
schleichfahrt (english title: archimedean dynasty)
elemental gearbolt
metal slug 3
amped 2
burnout revenge
tetris (gameboy mono)
stalepie
Favorite Game: Landstalker
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, Metal Gear 1 NES, Boktai.

Post by stalepie »

jhonsadins wrote:God Hand (PlayStation 2)
I absolutely love this game. It looks very rough, the voice acting is very bad, and the humour won't agree with everyone who plays it, but none of those points bring the game down for me at all. The gameplay here is wonderfully thought-out, and the replaying a level was never a chore for me, as I loved trying out new ideas in each fight.
It was directed by Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil. His new game is Vanquish. Even though it's a bit short, I highly recommend it (if you have a PS3 or 360).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... ish/706375
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

This is gonna be difficult.
But let's see...

1. MGS3: Subsistence
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Resident Evil 2
5. Policenauts