What kind of gamer are you?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Re: What kind of gamer are you?

Post by Dick Motorman »

JimboKudo wrote:Maybe I'm butting in, but I don't think you do justice to TC's books by comparing his writings to CSI as far as education goes. Tom Clancy may be "curious" about the military and such, and I can tell you that the this is BETTER than being a military man (since he's a writer). I say that, because 80% of the military doesn't have a clue as to what technical devices and tactics (that go along with them) are coming out. TC's curiosity causes him to be extremely thorough in his books, since that's what he's INTERESTED in. A good comparison is someone who loves math for the theories and history behind it. That person won't necessarily be any good at executing the processes to solve problems, but he'll learn more overall since he'll learn the history, theories, AND the processes (that's necessary to pass classes). I don't think I've read as much Tom Clancy as many other people, but from my experience so far, he's an exceptional writer with a very educational style of writing.
Ok, ak said he has a vast knowledge of "the military" and then he said he got most of it through tom clancy books. I already said about a dozen times that tom clancy is indeed knowledgeable about the military. The argument wasn't about the merit of Tom Clancy but rather it's ridiculous to take (or say you get) all your knowledge from one place, especially from books of fiction, no matter how much they're based in fact, and say you know a lot about whatever subject is may be. I used CSI as an example BECAUSE of how ridiculous the idea of someone saying they know a lot about forensics based solely on CSI is. No matter how based in fact Tom Clancy books are, the idea is the same and thats what I was trying to get across, is that it was a funny thing for ak to say.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I think I understand now. I agree with you about not being able to gain great knowledge through a single source. All of the military things I know come from various magazines and books about war, and my grandpa was in WWII, so I've heard a lot about the military (and tactics) from that time from my dad. Still, I think that ak probably has a greater knowledge than most people just from reading those books.

I know it wasn't your point to say that ak is militarily illiterate or anything like that. Your point was that he couldn't possible have that much military knowledge just from reading those books. And, as you said, that's why used an extreme case (the whole CSI thing), to show an extreme falsehood.

In ak's defense though, I would say that 80% of knowledge comes from people (that includes writers), and the other 20% is practical. Just as Tom Clancy has never served in war, but still has great military knowledge, it is possible that ak has learned a lot from the books. He may have learned that 80% that TC has a gift to communicate. But this is all hypothetical, and I can't stand hypothetical discussions, since there's no actual proof behind them.

Also, I would say that another part of your point is that ak doesn't mention anything that would really cause you to believe what he said. (no proof or reason to believe there's proof) Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

Hey all i was ever saying was the Tom Clancy's books are all fact. The only thing that is made up in his books are the situations and storyline/events.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

JimboKudo wrote:I think I understand now. I agree with you about not being able to gain great knowledge through a single source. All of the military things I know come from various magazines and books about war, and my grandpa was in WWII, so I've heard a lot about the military (and tactics) from that time from my dad. Still, I think that ak probably has a greater knowledge than most people just from reading those books.

I know it wasn't your point to say that ak is militarily illiterate or anything like that. Your point was that he couldn't possible have that much military knowledge just from reading those books. And, as you said, that's why used an extreme case (the whole CSI thing), to show an extreme falsehood.

In ak's defense though, I would say that 80% of knowledge comes from people (that includes writers), and the other 20% is practical. Just as Tom Clancy has never served in war, but still has great military knowledge, it is possible that ak has learned a lot from the books. He may have learned that 80% that TC has a gift to communicate. But this is all hypothetical, and I can't stand hypothetical discussions, since there's no actual proof behind them.

Also, I would say that another part of your point is that ak doesn't mention anything that would really cause you to believe what he said. (no proof or reason to believe there's proof) Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Exactly, I'm glad at least one person understands me haha.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Look I have a lot of military knowledge. I can only think of three sources off the top of my head; Tom Clancy books, TV/Movies, and Video Games. If there are other sources, I can't remember them right now. Like I said above the only made up thing in a TC book is the story itself. Now get off my back.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Oh please, no one is on your back you jackass.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Well, it sure seemed like you were on my back.
Israx
Favorite Game: Jak and Daxter : The Precursor Legacy
Kojima games owned: MGS: Portable Ops +

Post by Israx »

Getting back to what this topic was originally intended for, I find that I really enjoy a game that has decent visuals and kickass story, even if the gameplay itself isn't that stellar (*cough* card battle games *cough*) I tend to hunt out all the sidequests, but there is a certain point that collecting tokens and running the item-trade gambits does get old. And, when all of these elements converge into one single shining disc, I am truly the happiest man alive.
"Let's say, for argument's sake, that you're right. You're not, but just go with it..." -Abel Strictly
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Yea, me too. I also value the story over the gameplay. There is a point, though, where it just gets so bad that I would abandon the story.
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

I like to play games which give you options of avoiding violence (such as MGS3 and Fallout 2). Unfortunately, it seems that most game developers nowadays seem to think that kicking ass is all we're interested in doing, and most games are marketed towards people who like to shoot first and ask questions later. One of the reasons why Fallout 1 and 2 are one of my favorite games (with Deus Ex being the favorite), they give you a real choice of how you play the game, not just a choice of saving certain characters from a gruesome death every now and then (think GTA 4).
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

That kind of gameplay is more reserved fro RPG games but I agree, it should be the case with all games.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I'll play anything really. I play sports and racing games the least, but I'm not about to completely write off the genre. I used to be anti-FPS, but one of my friends (semi-pro halo player) taught me how to play, and now I love the genre.

I'd say I'm about as close to being a hardcore gamer as you can get without actually being one. The only thing that seperates me is the amount of time I put into gaming. I used to put a ton of time into gaming, but now I've slowed down quite a bit. I will play anything and love to hunt for obscure and rare games. (When it comes down to it, I'm still just an animal chasing down shiny things.)

I've stopped playing current generation games in favor of catching up on my backlog of games. I have hundreds upon hundreds of Playstation 2 hours to go through.

Hell, right now I'm going through Persona 4. That game itself is a hundred hour undertaking. After that it's back to Godhand, and I'm thinking about picking up the Yakuza games. I should also go through Killer 7 and Tales of the Abyss.

Or course, whenever the Policenauts translation is finished it's getting immediatly moved to the front of my must-play list. Mother 3 was in the same category. Damn was it ever worth it.

Off topic, but if you haven't played Mother 3, you completely owe it to yourself to do so.
Last edited by Anubis on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Yeah, I need to start getting into the older games myself, I think I'm loosing myself in the next-gen era, sounds good.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

I think being a hardcore gamer has more to do with your knowledge of games, the gaming community, and history, rather than it does with playing halo all day. It's kind of a certain mindset. I'm not saying that playing games a lot isn't part of it, but rather, it's not all of it.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

I can understand that. I'd say I'm a hardcore gamer than.
Playing games is one of my hobbies, not just a distraction.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Playing games a lot is not all of it but, to an extent, you have to play a lot to be involved in the community and know the news and rumors.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

how does playing a game a lot alone make you involved in the community?
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Tom Clancy books are not regular media
YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

uh oh
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

What the hell was that?
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

IT'S ON!

I expect a good long fight. Anything goes. Low blows, Vanity attacks, it's all fair game. Let the bloodshed begin.
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Oh please. Everyone knows that the only proper way to solve a bloody fight is to have a pie-throwing contest.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid