What kind of gamer are you?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

What kind of gamer are you?

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

I'm usually a sniper when I have a choice. Kill them from far away and they never knew I was there. I am a master of stealth but a bit reckless at times. My emotions control too much of my actions and I have a short temper which effects my actions greatly. I also make poor decisions when I get emotionally involved but I am usually strong enough to overcome my mistakes. I also have a moral issue, I always have to be the good guy. In RPGs I always make the good choices instead of the bad unless I get angry, in which case I am known to loose my cool and do something stupid. But that is what the restart button is for.
JimboKudo
Major

Re: What kind of gamer are you?

Post by JimboKudo »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:I'm usually a sniper when I have a choice. Kill them from far away and they never knew I was there. I am a master of stealth but a bit reckless at times. My emotions control too much of my actions and I have a short temper which effects my actions greatly. I also make poor decisions when I get emotionally involved but I am usually strong enough to overcome my mistakes. I also have a moral issue, I always have to be the good guy. In RPGs I always make the good choices instead of the bad unless I get angry, in which case I am known to loose my cool and do something stupid. But that is what the restart button is for.
I'm usually the guy to run up to somebody and shoot them in the face with a shotgun. Up close and personal is how I like it. I'm good at stealth, even though my stealth involves running around. If I'm playing a game like SOCOM or Warrock (more realistic games), then I use a lot of sneaking to flank the enemy. Up close and personal, but sneaky as well is how I play. Unfortunately, I don't get too into my videogames, which means I get bored VERY quickly (unless it's a particularly good game of course). I also have a tough time playing the evil guy in rpgs. Whenever I make an "evil" decision, I always end up resetting the console to load my game. Problem is, this takes away from about half of most rpgs.
jcgamer60
Runner

Post by jcgamer60 »

I prefer singleplayer games myself, personally. Last game I had fun with online was Planet Puzzle League for DS; really addicting online matches in that one. I suppose i'm the type of gamer who ignores sidequests for the most part and just makes progress with the main story.
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

I suppose I'm the sneaky motherfucker in-game.

I've finished MGS2 and 3 on European Extreme mode and I'm now a TF2 addict, and the most attention I've given to one class is about 24 hours as the Spy.
I love sneaking behind the enemy lines disguised as one of them, and whipping out the butterfly knife and stabbing them all in the back, one by one until there's no-one on the cart.
Then you fuck up all their sentry guns, teleporters and dispensers while they're still respawning.
Pure bliss.
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

I'm a gamer. I love video games. this is the kind of thing some 10 year old Halo fanboy would talk about "well I mainly play as a sniper because It's the most derby der der" no you're a fucking idiot, and it's just a fucking game. Seriously when I hear people talk like this all I think about are jackasses that play military games without actually having any knowledge of military warfare, and then they go on and on about how this and that are the best and why this and that are 'gay'. The fact is if you limit yourself to only playing games a certain way, then you're a retard. One of the fun things about video games is being able to play them different ways, being able to switch characters or weapons, or classes being able to go about the same objective different ways.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Ok listen here bub, I have a ton of military knowledge and that is WHY I play military games. I get my military knowledge from books like Tom Clancy writes. Now I do play different ways I am just saying that I love sniping and if I get mad I do things without thinking. So as a response to your under-thought and premature post I say this. Fuck off ass hole!
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Ok listen here bub, I have a ton of military knowledge and that is WHY I play military games. I get my military knowledge from books like Tom Clancy writes. Now I do play different ways I am just saying that I love sniping and if I get mad I do things without thinking. So as a response to your under-thought and premature post I say this. Fuck off ass hole!
Thanks for proving my point. =D> I love how defensive you get even though my post wasn't actually geared toward you, but rather the people that think the way I pointed out in my post. If any post is 'under-thought' it's most definitely yours, also how is my post premature exactly? Anyways thanks again for proving my point, asshole.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Your post seemed pretty "geared toward" me, as far as I could tell. (By premature I meant not thought through.)
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Your post seemed pretty "geared toward" me, as far as I could tell. (By premature I meant not thought through.)
Well it wasn't it was merely my view on people like that. I honestly did not have you in mind when I wrote that post.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

I'll take your word for it.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Ok listen here bub, I have a ton of military knowledge and that is WHY I play military games. I get my military knowledge from books like Tom Clancy writes. Now I do play different ways I am just saying that I love sniping and if I get mad I do things without thinking. So as a response to your under-thought and premature post I say this. Fuck off ass hole!
Just curious, but have you ever served in the military?
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:I get my military knowledge from books like Tom Clancy writes.
lmao
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Dick Motorman wrote:
Commander_AK-47 wrote:I get my military knowledge from books like Tom Clancy writes.
lmao
What are you laughing about have you ever read a Tom Clancy book? They are amazing, they are not "How-To" Books if that is what you are thinking, they are fiction. (Not science fiction, fiction)
Synthoid wrote: Just curious, but have you ever served in the military?

I haven't served in the Military but have you ever read a Tom Clancy book? They are packed with military references and lingo. Plus I do in fact play a lot of military games like Rainbow Six (Which was a Tom Clancy book by the way) and COD4 and Full Spectrum Warrior and others.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote:
lmao
What are you laughing about have you ever read a Tom Clancy book? They are amazing, they are not "How-To" Books if that is what you are thinking, they are fiction. (Not science fiction, fiction)
Synthoid wrote: Just curious, but have you ever served in the military?

I haven't served in the Military but have you ever read a Tom Clancy book? They are packed with military references and lingo. Plus I do in fact play a lot of military games like Rainbow Six (Which was a Tom Clancy book by the way) and COD4 and Full Spectrum Warrior and others.

This is the reason I'm laughing; you claim to have a vast amount of knowledge of military warfare and technologies, and then you go on to say you've learned most of it through Tom Clancy books, that's like me saying I know a lot about forensic science and then saying I learned most of it from CSI.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Tom Clancy books are not regular media, they contain legitimate military terms and explanations. Maybe you'd know that if you actually read one because you obviously haven't, otherwise you wouldn't be laughing because you would know what I am talking about. Im not talking about the games I'm talking about the novels, go buy one from borders before you criticize their military reference.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Tom Clancy books are not regular media, they contain legitimate military terms and explanations. Maybe you'd know that if you actually read one because you obviously haven't, otherwise you wouldn't be laughing because you would know what I am talking about. Im not talking about the games I'm talking about the novels, go buy one from borders before you criticize their military reference.
I never said you where talking about the games, so don't put words in my fucking mouth, and I said nothing defamatory about the books themselves but rather your claim to being so well versed in military knowledge and yet you get said knowledge from military fiction books. I never said they didn't have true and factual information in them, because they do, but rather I find it funny that you say you get most of your military knowledge from books of fiction, albeit with true to life military facts, which is why I used my CSI example, while CSI is clearly fiction it does have factual basis, but I wouldn't call myself an expert or say I know a lot about forensics because I watch CSI (which I don't) it's just as ridiculous as you claiming to know tons of military information just because you read a few tom clancy books. Here's another example, it's like if I where to say I have a vast amount of knowledge in the subject of sociopathy/psychopathy because I read The Silence of the Lambs. Do you understand now? All of these books or movies have this in common: They all have true to life facts in them, but when it comes down to it they're all works of fiction. Which is why I find it funny that you said Tom Clancy books. Not only that but Tom Clancy never even served in the military for Christs sake (even though he did want to). He didn't even get a degree in military warfare/technology, he has a degree in English Literature. All of which is why I find it funny that you cite his books for your knowledge on the military when he himself isn't even an expert. Sure he knows plenty about the military but the fact is he's a fucking writer, and what do writers do? They make shit up, even if some of it does have basis in fact.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Ok, seriously? You're both arguing on an internet forum, the lowest activity a person can take part in. Neither of you has the right to criticize the other. Go do something with your lives instead of cussing out strangers. You look like a couple of kids doing this, and it's pissing people off.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Dick Motorman wrote: I never said you where talking about the games, so don't put words in my fucking mouth, and I said nothing defamatory about the books themselves but rather your claim to being so well versed in military knowledge and yet you get said knowledge from military fiction books. I never said they didn't have true and factual information in them, because they do, but rather I find it funny that you say you get most of your military knowledge from books of fiction, albeit with true to life military facts, which is why I used my CSI example, while CSI is clearly fiction it does have factual basis, but I wouldn't call myself an expert or say I know a lot about forensics because I watch CSI (which I don't) it's just as ridiculous as you claiming to know tons of military information just because you read a few tom clancy books. Here's another example, it's like if I where to say I have a vast amount of knowledge in the subject of sociopathy/psychopathy because I read The Silence of the Lambs. Do you understand now? All of these books or movies have this in common: They all have true to life facts in them, but when it comes down to it they're all works of fiction. Which is why I find it funny that you said Tom Clancy books. Not only that but Tom Clancy never even served in the military for Christs sake (even though he did want to). He didn't even get a degree in military warfare/technology, he has a degree in English Literature. All of which is why I find it funny that you cite his books for your knowledge on the military when he himself isn't even an expert. Sure he knows plenty about the military but the fact is he's a fucking writer, and what do writers do? They make shit up, even if some of it does have basis in fact.
I understand, I've always understood, that wasn't the problem. His books can't be compared to a TV Drama, they are closer to a documentary, and he only makes up scenarios, the rest is totally fact which is why I used him as an example in the first place. And he was is the military bud, he was in the Air Force. His books are so factual that he second or third book, The Hunt For Red October, was a little too factual. Government officials got angry at him for releasing too much information about Nuclear Submarines and it is currently of the 'Banned Book' list which is not really enforced in case you didn't know about banned books.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

seraphssavior wrote:Ok, seriously? You're both arguing on an internet forum, the lowest activity a person can take part in. Neither of you has the right to criticize the other. Go do something with your lives instead of cussing out strangers. You look like a couple of kids doing this, and it's pissing people off.
Thank you for your concern. I can't speak for him but I for one am having a civilized adult debate with this gentleman.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Dick Motorman wrote: I never said you where talking about the games, so don't put words in my fucking mouth, and I said nothing defamatory about the books themselves but rather your claim to being so well versed in military knowledge and yet you get said knowledge from military fiction books. I never said they didn't have true and factual information in them, because they do, but rather I find it funny that you say you get most of your military knowledge from books of fiction, albeit with true to life military facts, which is why I used my CSI example, while CSI is clearly fiction it does have factual basis, but I wouldn't call myself an expert or say I know a lot about forensics because I watch CSI (which I don't) it's just as ridiculous as you claiming to know tons of military information just because you read a few tom clancy books. Here's another example, it's like if I where to say I have a vast amount of knowledge in the subject of sociopathy/psychopathy because I read The Silence of the Lambs. Do you understand now? All of these books or movies have this in common: They all have true to life facts in them, but when it comes down to it they're all works of fiction. Which is why I find it funny that you said Tom Clancy books. Not only that but Tom Clancy never even served in the military for Christs sake (even though he did want to). He didn't even get a degree in military warfare/technology, he has a degree in English Literature. All of which is why I find it funny that you cite his books for your knowledge on the military when he himself isn't even an expert. Sure he knows plenty about the military but the fact is he's a fucking writer, and what do writers do? They make shit up, even if some of it does have basis in fact.
I understand, I've always understood, that wasn't the problem. His books can't be compared to a TV Drama, they are closer to a documentary, and he only makes up scenarios, the rest is totally fact which is why I used him as an example in the first place. And he was is the military bud, he was in the Air Force. His books are so factual that he second or third book, The Hunt For Red October, was a little too factual. Government officials got angry at him for releasing too much information about Nuclear Submarines and it is currently of the 'Banned Book' list which is not really enforced in case you didn't know about banned books.
Again I never said his books weren't based in fact, or at the vary least have true facts in them, because they clearly do, but they're still fictional books, which was my original point as to why I found it funny in the first place, and why we are having this disscussion. The fact is Tom Clancy books and that shitty show CSI can be compared and I did compare them, like I said they're both filled with true to life facts, but when it comes down to it they're both works of fictional drama and to say you got a good majority of your knowledge about a certain subject from either is hilariously absurd. But if you truly need another example just take a look at my previous post. Now I'm not saying CSI is as throughly factual as a Tom Clancy novel but the fact is the concept works for both, and that's what I'm trying to point out. Also, from the bit of research I did, everything I saw pointed to him never being in the military. In fact I read this at one point;
Clancy says he regrets not being able to serve in the military. He said the military is a theme he will continue to write about. But he says he’s enjoying himself as a writer
and this
Though he wanted to serve in the United States military, he was rejected after failing a required eye exam in the ROTC.
Not only that but I was completely unable to find anything regarding the banning of The Hunt for Red October in the US. Or any government investigations into it.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

**** the first quote is from this interview: http://wiredforbooks.org/tomclancy/. The interview is old, but the guys was 40 when he did it so If he hadn't been in the military up to that point I highly doubt he joined since. also this:
Despite his common military themes, Clancy tells Swaim that he was never a military man. He was led by pure curiosity.
The second is from Wikipedia which I'll admit isn't always the best place for information but I'm inclined the believe it due to the fact that I could not find anything at all, nothing, regarding Tom Clancy serving in any branch of the military.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Well you may be right about that but I know for a fact that the government frowned upon Red October and did put it on the ban list.

P.S. Nice Sig!
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:Well you may be right about that but I know for a fact that the government frowned upon Red October and did put it on the ban list.

P.S. Nice Sig!
Well i'll do some more research on the banning and see what I come up with.

Haha thanks, that's what happens when you get bored at 3 a.m.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Maybe I'm butting in, but I don't think you do justice to TC's books by comparing his writings to CSI as far as education goes. Tom Clancy may be "curious" about the military and such, and I can tell you that the this is BETTER than being a military man (since he's a writer). I say that, because 80% of the military doesn't have a clue as to what technical devices and tactics (that go along with them) are coming out. TC's curiosity causes him to be extremely thorough in his books, since that's what he's INTERESTED in. A good comparison is someone who loves math for the theories and history behind it. That person won't necessarily be any good at executing the processes to solve problems, but he'll learn more overall since he'll learn the history, theories, AND the processes (that's necessary to pass classes). I don't think I've read as much Tom Clancy as many other people, but from my experience so far, he's an exceptional writer with a very educational style of writing.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid