Silent Hill?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Silent Hill?

Post by randomwab »

Nothing really important, just wandering what you all think of this series. Personally I love it, another great series on Konami's side. I remember the first game was one of the few things ever to scare me, probably due to the whole business of Heaven/Hell, God and the Devil and Cults, it always just freaked me out abit, plus, i was 9 and that game is a 15 or 18 so just a bit to young. The 2nd was also great, thought the 3rd was abit of a let down, though i really liked how it tied into the first. I finally got the 4th in the christmas sales and it is great, a refreshing view of the series, and one of the few games to make me cautious while playing as it is pretty hard. Another great thing is the soundtrack, which is simply amazing, Akira Yamaoka is a very talanted musician, but anyway, what do you all think of the series?
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Good series. I just wish they'd fix the controls.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

it was a pretty cool idea for the begining of a game, die to continue, As i believe, there is a tribute to Alessa from Silent Hill 1 in MGS3, apparantly in the lab area, though i couldnt be sure just yet because i havnt played it yet, and cant remember where i read about it!
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Which one was Alessa? It's been a while since I've played the game.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

Alyssa was the mysterious character who turned out to be the mother of the devil, the nurse was lisa, and that was probably the reference, as whatever i read said now that you mention it, that it was in the lab
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Silent Hill is wonderful, in a twisted sort of way. I think it's the only game I've played to date that has genuinely made me soil myself (that's genuinely, not literally). It's got such a great atmosphere, what with the fog and the monkeys and such, and it's nice to see a horror game that scares the player without using Resident-Evil-like shock tactics. I do love Resident Evil too though, but that's more of a madman's comedy than a shocking horrorfest.
Spartikcus

Post by Spartikcus »

Is this the series really worth playing?
I have only played "The Room" and I really didn't enjoy it too much.
Are the the Ps1 games any better or a step down?
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well, I didn't play much of the second game. The first one's great, though I'm not really sure why, because I don't enjoy playing it at all. It scares me.

Oh hang on, The Room? That's the fourth one, isn't it. Well I didn't play any of that.
Spartikcus

Post by Spartikcus »

Yes The Room is the fourth one, I only played a demo of it, but the storyline made no sense and I got stuck at a certain spot, it was pretty scary though. :???:
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I haven't played much of the series. I played a bit of the first game and enjoyed it, and then my brother bought the sequal, which I didn't enjoy. I wasn't very interested in the third, and I played a demo of the fourth and found it incredibly boring and repetitive (it seems to be a game that was designed to force you into back-tracking). They might not be as scary, but I certainly enjoy the Resident Evil games, more. They look like Scooby Doo, in comparison, but I find them much more enjoyable games, overall.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Re: Silent Hill?

Post by ShinjiPG »

Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, but I just wanted to mention the news about the Silent Hill 1 remake they're going to do for Wii... And didn't want to create a new thread just for that =)

I wish this was an April Fools joke!

And it's not really the fact that it's going to be for Wii, but more the fact that... Shouldn't they just let it die in peace already? lol
What do you guys think?
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

ShinjiPG wrote:Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, but I just wanted to mention the news about the Silent Hill 1 remake they're going to do for Wii... And didn't want to create a new thread just for that =)

I wish this was an April Fools joke!

And it's not really the fact that it's going to be for Wii, but more the fact that... Shouldn't they just let it die in peace already? lol
What do you guys think?
I don't know, that could be an interesting game. I like the first one a lot, but the combat sucked anyway. Honestly, I don't think I'd mind too much if they cut it out. I think the biggest problem is that there were too many narrow hallways in the first game to avoid ALL combat. How are they gonna get around that?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

I played some of the first game, damn good PS1 game! and at the time a VERY refreshing twist on the "survival horror" genre.
I never got to play much of 2, 3...I thought was great, 4 "the room" was interesting, but crap controls ruined it for me, so I never finished it.

I beat part 5 "homecoming", it was a pretty good game! But it seems the storylines are getting stale to me.
The game and everything about it is awsome, I just feel they need to improve the series with a really good story.

I guess once you played a "Silent Hill" game you can guess the whole story of all of them from the first moment you play.
Since Usually whoever is in "Silent Hill" is chasing after a "ghost" of a lost loved one or whoever....that they most likely killed, wich is why they are in "Silent Hill". I just think it needs more depth in the story after 5 games now!

But GREAT games overall! I'd just like to see a NEW storline/Plot concept for "6" if they make one :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Kojima_Devotee
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Kojima_Devotee »

I place the original Silent Hill among my best games of all time. Silent Hill 2 is well above excellent on its own merits, though I believe the original to be the stronger of the two. On the plus side, both keep the Silent Hill mythos intact. I never finished Silent Hill 3, though it was appropriately creepy from what I sampled. With the switch in developers, or Konami losing interest in the franchise, I didn't bother with The Room (4) or Homecoming (5). It's a sad turn of events considering the first two games, but I've let Silent Hill go.

I have no intention of playing 4, 5, Origins, or the Wii/PS2 remake. The remake in particular looks terrible to me; Why does Sybil have her breasts hanging out? (I have a feeling the terms "X-TREME" and "Americanize" are in the answer.) I'll finish 3 at some point, since it seems fairly solid, and I want to judge for myself what "side of the fence" I'm on when dealing with the "Is this still good Silent Hill?" question.

What do you guys think?
Sure, mainstream games are fun, but you haven't tried Snatcher yet.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

I think both 3 and 4 are definitely worth checking out. As you, I think the first and the second one are not possible to match, but 3 doesn't wander too far from the quality of those two. The 4th one is a bit more of a stretch, but a damn fine game on it's own. I try to look at it not so much as a Silent Hill game (no wonder that was the intention at the beginning).
About Origins and 5, I only played Origins. It really takes you back to the spirit of the first game, in some points, but it was not needed. Still, I let it slid because it's the only portable Silent Hill game (not counting that GBA "thing" they did). As for 5... I downloaded the game just to see if it was worth it, but never managed to install because of bugs and stuff, and since my motivation to play it was not that big, I gave up. From what I've seen of the game, I'm reaaally not interested.
The Wii game won't get me more attention than what the arcade game did.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"