Consolevania

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Consolevania

Post by 87th »

I've been toying around with the idea of making a topic about Consolevania here for a while, now. I wanted to get the word out about it, but I was unsure whether or not many people here would "get" it. I've made a link to it in my signature, but I don't think that's really doing enough. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Consolevania is a web-based videogame show made by Scottish comedy writer, Robert "Rab" Florence, and his friend Ryan Macleod. Together, and with some help from their friends, they've made a great little show that can be as clever as it is sometimes hilarious. The guys really love videogames, which is refreshing to see in a time when personal enthusiasm can often damage a critic's credibility.

Very recently, work has begun on a new series of the show, which presents itself in a new way. Before 30-60 minute shows would be hosted as large videos for download, and would go up quite irregularly. Now, short segments of the show are being uploaded on YouTube several times a week (sometimes daily).

The show is very much based in Rab and Ryan's own personal sense of humour, which can be incredibly surreal, self-deprecating or controversial, but if you can accept that, it can be hilarious. It won't sit well with everyone though, which is one of the great things about the new series' format. If you like listening to their opinions but can't appreciate the comedy, you don't have to watch the videos of their comedy bits. If you like the comedy, but don't care about their opinions, you don't have to watch their reviews.

Consolevania often gives praise to budget titles and games with minor flaws that have something great to offer despite their bad points. Watching the show has lead me to playing a lot of games that I'd previously overlooked. It's one of the main reasons I've become such a big fan of the show.

Anyway, here's some bits from Consolevania that I think are good enough to get you interested (one of these is from a previous series of the show). If you like these, go to the official site, which I've linked to in my signature, and watch some more. I'll warn these that these contain thick Glaswegian accents and dialect, though-

Series 4 Intro

LittleBigPlanet Review

"Ask Kenny"

Independants Day 1