Left 4 Dead

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Left 4 Dead

Post by Dick Motorman »

so I think everyone already knows how cynical I am about the way video games/video game culture is going. But I recently downloaded the demo for Left 4 Dead Valves latest fps, and I must say it's rather fun. The 4 player co-op is what really makes the game I'd have to say, being able to play through the game with 3 of your buddies (or 3 random people) is really fun, and reminds of days and games past, Contra being the one that pops up in my mind first. That being said, it is a pretty basic game, from what i've seen, obviously I'll get a better understanding of it when it's released, or at least when I get it. To be honest I can't see myself spending the 50 bucks to download it through Steam (its a fun quality game but it still hasn't really 'wowed' me), so I've decided to wait till the price drops.

So if games keep going this way, maybe I won't be so goddamn cynical anymore.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Re: Left 4 Dead

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

Yea that one looks good. I'm angry they didn't make a PS3 version for it though, my comp is too crappy to play games like that. the best I've been able to run is Garry's Mod, lol.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

I have the demo for the PC, great game so far....although i need a better PC since I'm running on all lows and it's still not running that great.

I mean it does run good, until there's like a swarm of like 40 zombies rushing at me!
good game, can't wait to see what the other 18 levels are like? since you only get 2 in the demo.

I wish it was for the PS3 as well, but it seems everyone is only supporting Xbox for some reason?

Man I wish they'd just make a sick-ass Contra game with co-op! still to this day the original Contra, and Toejam and Earl had to be the best 2 player games! there are more, but those come to mind first.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

well just because we don't see it for the PS3 right now doesn't mean it wont happen. Microsoft might have a deal with Valve to release it on their system first, for the simple reason that it might boost sales of the 360. As much as I like to think of games as art, it really is more a business than anything at this point.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Yea, unfortunately things have turned out pretty cold and hard as far as the gaming industry goes nowadays. Hopefully the X-Box will shrivel up and die and then we can all get on with our love of gaming without this inter company console war.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

lol wat?

Dude, there has always been video game "wars". It was really Sega and Nintendo that started it all off, though, back in the day. PS3 has little to no exclusives, and I prefer to buy games for that console generally, since it is my favourite of the three systems (I have all three), but there is nothing wrong with Microsoft securing exclusivity, since Sony seem to be doing an awful job at it this generation (Tekken, Final Fantasy). That isn't to say Sony haven't gotten their own back on Microsoft (getting Bioshock, Uncharted, MGS4 both staying exclusive).
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

That was a pretty inane comment, Ak.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Henry Spencer wrote: Dude, there has always been video game "wars". It was really Sega and Nintendo that started it all off, though, back in the day. PS3 has little to no exclusives, and I prefer to buy games for that console generally, since it is my favourite of the three systems (I have all three), but there is nothing wrong with Microsoft securing exclusivity, since Sony seem to be doing an awful job at it this generation (Tekken, Final Fantasy). That isn't to say Sony haven't gotten their own back on Microsoft (getting Bioshock, Uncharted, MGS4 both staying exclusive).
I totally agree but I just think that the war has gone too far, and that Xbox needs to die a horrible and painful death, lol. But in all seriousness as you can probably tell, I hate the X-Box. I think Microsoft should have just stuck with computer software. Sony is older, more experienced and just overall better in my opinion. I love the PS3, the exclusives (which are growing better since Sony's slip ups earlier), the firmware, community and most of all, the free, extensive network. I love Nintendo also because they are the only remaining company from the classic era (Sega, Atari, Capcom, ect.), but alas, they too are dying out slowly and painfully just like all the other classic companies did.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Hey Dick, do you want to take apart that post, or should I?
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Commander_AK-47 wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Dude, there has always been video game "wars". It was really Sega and Nintendo that started it all off, though, back in the day. PS3 has little to no exclusives, and I prefer to buy games for that console generally, since it is my favourite of the three systems (I have all three), but there is nothing wrong with Microsoft securing exclusivity, since Sony seem to be doing an awful job at it this generation (Tekken, Final Fantasy). That isn't to say Sony haven't gotten their own back on Microsoft (getting Bioshock, Uncharted, MGS4 both staying exclusive).
I totally agree but I just think that the war has gone too far, and that Xbox needs to die a horrible and painful death, lol. But in all seriousness as you can probably tell, I hate the X-Box. I think Microsoft should have just stuck with computer software. Sony is older, more experienced and just overall better in my opinion. I love the PS3, the exclusives (which are growing better since Sony's slip ups earlier), the firmware, community and most of all, the free, extensive network. I love Nintendo also because they are the only remaining company from the classic era (Sega, Atari, Capcom, ect.), but alas, they too are dying out slowly and painfully just like all the other classic companies did.
This console war is not nearly as intense as the one involving sega and nintendo. I don't like the fact that microsoft is winning the console war either, and I also feel that they have no right in participating. They already have a monopoly in computers (sorry mac users). You have to remember though, Sony did the exact same thing that Microsoft is doing now. In the end, X-Box has the jump on Sony, so they're not gonna win this one. Their best hope is that they can come out with the next console first. The only way that Sony could possible win, is maybe if the ps3 sells the most long term. The ps2 is still selling even now. The biggest problems is that the ps3 has very few games compared to xbox (games worthwhile anyway). Let's not use the mac phrase: "The Library of Software is Getting Better!" Because that would be really lame (sorry again mac users). Facts are facts, and Sony is falling behind. As for nintendo, they sell nostalgia. They almost never invent anything new that's actually good. That doesn't mean that they don't have any good games, but the guys I know don't even get the new games. They play stuff like Secret of Mana, and Mario Kart 64. It's basically a console for people who've been around for a while.......sometimes a LONG while. There are a ton of old peopel who have them as well.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Yea, you're right but I don't think Sony is that lost. They are actually doing very good. The reason behind the latest Xbox price drop is because the PS3 sales are growing and Xbox sales are evening off. This holiday will open up a ton of sales for both systems and I think at the end of the year Sony will be ahead. As for next year, it looks like a good year for both companies (judging by the releasing games).
dethklokdev
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by dethklokdev »

nice game
dethklokdev
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by dethklokdev »

well at time like this im happy that im a ps360 owner
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

No. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft should all unite to make the ultimate gaming platform, featuring Nintendo's innovations, Sony's exclusives and Microsoft superior hardware. Called the...

The WiiStation360! Using their ultimate monopoly position, they could charge 100 bucks for a game and come out winners! Until of course, Atari makes another Jaguar that puts this ultimate console to shame.

Or maybe not.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

That wold be cool but you got the traits backwards. Its Sony that has superior hardware (being a techno company) and Microsoft that has the the interface and software (being a software company). Nowadays, all exclusives are not really exclusives for long so neither have those.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

The WiiStation360 would be the god of god-like consoles. Nerds world round shall bow to it's 50 processor chips and a massive color pallet unlike any man has set eyes upon! When it becomes self aware and homicidal, who will have the power to stand up to it's omnipotence? -Enter The Jaguar- Atari at its present state lacks the power to destroy the WiiStation360, so it must seek an outside source to create a new system. As the last hope of humanity, the CEOs of Atari corp. sail away in a spaceship with Styx. Flying through the universe jamming in the emptiness of space, Styx attempts to attract extraterrestrials with their space-tastic music. If they are ever successful, Atari shall join forces with these friends-from-afar, creating a super-console that no man-made machine could possibly compete with. This omni-omnipotent console shall be called the Jaguar 4000: Back in Black.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Wow... That's all I have to say.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

seraphssavior wrote:Hey Dick, do you want to take apart that post, or should I?
I'm a little late to the party, but it's all your's, man... my head still hurts from reading it.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Hey fuck you two. I am sick and tired of all your high and mighty bull shit. Just because you guys have different views doesn't make you better than me. I am an exceptional gamer so stop treating all my post like fucking abominations. I derive my info from census' that I believe to be correct so I'm not just some crazy fucker saying random, incoherent bull shit.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

"I totally agree but I just think that the war has gone too far, and that Xbox needs to die a horrible and painful death, lol. But in all seriousness as you can probably tell, I hate the X-Box. I think Microsoft should have just stuck with computer software. Sony is older, more experienced and just overall better in my opinion. I love the PS3, the exclusives (which are growing better since Sony's slip ups earlier), the firmware, community and most of all, the free, extensive network. I love Nintendo also because they are the only remaining company from the classic era (Sega, Atari, Capcom, ect.), but alas, they too are dying out slowly and painfully just like all the other classic companies did."
And so we begin:

Sony is older at doing what? If you're just looking at games, then Microsoft (windows) has been doing games longer than Sony has. If you're not looking at just games, then the argument is invalid. Microsoft has shown itself to be a very profitable company, so the age of the company in question is irrelevant. The profit is what matters, and both companies are very well off.

The X-box also has a free online service, complete with DLC, and voice chat. The payment comes in for multiplayer play. Now, in another topic, you mentioned that:
"I loved Subsistence MGO, it was the best. Thats where the real skill was, no lock on or over the shoulder camera there. Did it all by the sights. But MGO is really not much of an improvement to its predecessor and the bugs have been there since release when I started playing it. I quit like 3 months after release because I couldn't stand it anymore. I think I made a topic about it somewhere on this board."
When it comes down to facts, the "network" doesn't mean anything for a console. It is based on the individual games. I play Halo with a buddy of mine once a week, and I've never had problems like the ones you described in that statement. In the end, claiming that a console has a good "community and most of all, the free, extensive network." does nothing to support your argument. There is no such thing as a good "community" online. There will always be trolls, spammers, and morons who feel the need to spout false information for attention, no matter what object they use to espouse their bullshit.

Now, for that other false statement that
Nintendo...because they are the only remaining company from the classic era (Sega, Atari, Capcom, ect.), but alas, they too are dying out slowly and painfully just like all the other classic companies did.
Well, I'd like to show you something:
http://www.capcom.com/

Looks like Capcom's still around...

http://www.sega.com/

Huh...Sega, too..but surely...

http://www.atari.com/

Well...I'll be damned...they're still around too.

But perhaps you misspoke, and meant to claim that they are no longer making consoles...but wait!
Capcom never made a console, so that couldn't be what you meant, could it?

And as for your false statement about Nintendo dying...what are you basing this off of?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080424e.pdf
Because I'm pretty damn sure that a company who made 1.672 trillion yen in 2007 shows no sign of death.

And please be sure to note that this is not a personal attack against you. You can fanboy all over the forums as long as you please for all I care, but when you start making false statements, and not backing them up, that's when people get mad and frustrated, and feel the need to prove your inconsistencies wrong with actual evidence.

And besides, PC gaming is better than all.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

seraphssavior, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Ok, my turn.
seraphssavior wrote: Sony is older at doing what? If you're just looking at games, then Microsoft (windows) has been doing games longer than Sony has.
I obviously meant console games, not PC games. There is a massive difference as I am sure I don't have to explain to you.
seraphssavior wrote: If you're not looking at just games, then the argument is invalid. Microsoft has shown itself to be a very profitable company, so the age of the company in question is irrelevant.
It is VERY relevant. Age reflects experience, and experience governs skill. That is why the PS3 has not had too many major problems and the Xbox was fucking exploding for a period after its release.
seraphssavior wrote: When it comes down to facts, the "network" doesn't mean anything for a console. It is based on the individual games. I play Halo with a buddy of mine once a week, and I've never had problems like the ones you described in that statement. In the end, claiming that a console has a good "community and most of all, the free, extensive network." does nothing to support your argument. There is no such thing as a good "community" online. There will always be trolls, spammers... ...and morons who feel the need to spout false information for attention, no matter what object they use to espouse their bullshit...
First of all, fuck you. Second, I didn't mean the people when I said community (although I do find the players on PSN more mature), I meant the network itself. It's features, tools, interface, look, usability. Now in this category, Xbox wins because of course they ARE a software company, but I like PSN better than Xbox live, personally.
seraphssavior wrote: Well, I'd like to show you something:
Looks like Capcom's still around...
Huh...Sega, too..but surely...
Well...I'll be damned...they're still around too.
Since you cannot read between the lines and infer what I meant I guess I'll have to explain it to you like a first grade teacher:
I meant they are not as active in the industry. Sure Capcom still makes games but not as actively as before. Sega and Atari do not make consoles anymore and burly stick around by making a few games here and there.
seraphssavior wrote: But perhaps you misspoke, and meant to claim that they are no longer making consoles...but wait!
Capcom never made a console, so that couldn't be what you meant, could it?
Yes, I know. I was referring to their games, they are not so active in making games as they used to be.
seraphssavior wrote: And as for your false statement about Nintendo dying...what are you basing this off of? Because I'm pretty damn sure that a company who made 1.672 trillion yen in 2007 shows no sign of death.
So they make money off of toony games (nothing wrong with that by the way, I personally, love that) and an occasional mature game. You call that is called staying active? I call staying active evolving with the times and adapting to the needs of the gamers. I love Nintendo games and I am a hardcore fan of old school games but there are many people who think Nintendo is playing old ball in the new diamond.
seraphssavior wrote: And please be sure to note that this is not a personal attack against you. You can fanboy all over the forums as long as you please for all I care, but when you start making false statements, and not backing them up, that's when people get mad and frustrated, and feel the need to prove your inconsistencies wrong with actual evidence.

I was not fanboy-ing, the information I posted was mostly correct, maybe with a few small discrepancies but you didn't even have the decency to politely correct me, instead, you choose to antagonize me with your "I'm smarter that you" attitude.
seraphssavior wrote: And besides, PC gaming is better than all.
I agree but I am a console gamer, with the quality of my computer the best thing I can play is Garry's Mod.
Dick Motorman wrote: seraphssavior, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Yea, fuck you Dick. :p
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Ak grow the fuck up, the comments you made were completely laughable and moronic. They reek of a 12 year old fanboy rather than the 17 year old mature gamer you so disparately want to convey to us, so to even attempt to defend them is futile.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: I obviously meant console games, not PC games. There is a massive difference as I am sure I don't have to explain to you.
Number one, it doesn't make a difference, because Microsoft made games for consoles way before the x box came out. And number two why does it matter?
Commander_Jackass wrote: It is VERY relevant. Age reflects experience, and experience governs skill. That is why the PS3 has not had too many major problems and the Xbox was fucking exploding for a period after its release.
No, just no. Just because you've been around longer in no way means you'll be better at something. You have to work hard at it. Look if you're going to try and defend your ideas why would you say the thing about Xboxs 'fucking exploding'? It doesn't help your case at all. The 360 was rushed to get it out before the other consoles this generation so it's gonna have problems. Plus the ps3 is built like a tank anyways, it better be for 600 bucks.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: First of all, fuck you. Second, I didn't mean the people when I said community (although I do find the players on PSN more mature), I meant the network itself. It's features, tools, interface, look, usability. Now in this category, Xbox wins because of course they ARE a software company, but I like PSN better than Xbox live, personally.
If thats not what you meant then why the fuck would you use the word COMMUNITY, you dolt?

Main Entry:
com·mu·ni·ty
Pronunciation:
\kə-ˈmyü-nə-tē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural com·mu·ni·ties
Usage:
often attributive
Etymology:
Middle English comunete, from Anglo-French communité, from Latin communitat-, communitas, from communis
Date:
14th century

1: a unified body of individuals: as a: state , commonwealth b: the people with common interests living in a particular area ; broadly : the area itself <the problems of a large community> c: an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location d: a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society <a community of retired persons> e: a group linked by a common policy f: a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests <the international community> g: a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society <the academic community> 2: society at large

If the players on PSN are mature than there must not be a lot of people like you. Like seraphssavior said all online community's are alike, especially if they're large, the only way to an internet community can be different from the norm is if it's a rather small one. And why does microsoft being a software company mean that they automatically win? Have they never made bad software? Fact is Xbox live has more features because you pay for it, not because it's some how inherently better due to lineage, but rather you're paying for additional feature, PSN does a fine job of doing as much as it can for free, but neither are really better than the other, especially community (and I mean the people), also it really has little to do with the console it self. And by little, I mean nothing.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: Since you cannot read between the lines and infer what I meant I guess I'll have to explain it to you like a first grade teacher:
I meant they are not as active in the industry. Sure Capcom still makes games but not as actively as before. Sega and Atari do not make consoles anymore and burly stick around by making a few games here and there.
It's times like this that I get frustrated with you because you don't know what you're talking about, and you seem to just make shit up to suit your needs. Capcom is just as active as it has ever been, maybe more so, Devil May Cry, RESIDENT EVIL, Megaman, Onimusha, Okami, Bionic Commando, Lost Planet, Moto Gp, Street Fighter, for fucks sake ak, all of these games/series are monsters in the industry how could you possibly say they aren't as active as they where before, when they're currently working on all of these franchises? Sega and Atari haven't made consoles in a long time. also I don't see how thats relevant at all. Atari hasn't been a big name in games at all for a very long time so your point is invalid, but in now way have they gone away. Neverwinter Nights, The Tycoon games, all the Dragon Ball Z fighting games that have come out in the past couple of years, The Witcher, all big sellers. Sega has a slew of sonic games, Virtua Fighter, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, and a bunch of licensed games, they aren't going anywhere, they're just as active as they've been for the past decade.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: So they make money off of toony games (nothing wrong with that by the way, I personally, love that) and an occasional mature game. You call that is called staying active? I call staying active evolving with the times and adapting to the needs of the gamers. I love Nintendo games and I am a hardcore fan of old school games but there are many people who think Nintendo is playing old ball in the new diamond.
Just because a majority of the wii's games have a more simple approach in no way means they haven't pushed boundaries, for fucks sake their games are motion controlled, that alone is a huge deal. I agree that we need to see evolution in games, but are sony or microsoft really pushing any boundaries with their games? No, they keep churning our the same bullshit over and over again. Nintendo has balls for doing what it did with the wii, also it's not meant to be some hardcore gaming machine, it was meant to be simple, fun, and something everyone could pick up and play. The only hardcore thing you are is a hardcore moron.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: I was not fanboy-ing, the information I posted was mostly correct, maybe with a few small discrepancies but you didn't even have the decency to politely correct me, instead, you choose to antagonize me with your "I'm smarter that you" attitude.
If you don't see this fanboyism, than, well I just don't know what to think anymore;
Yea, unfortunately things have turned out pretty cold and hard as far as the gaming industry goes nowadays. Hopefully the X-Box will shrivel up and die and then we can all get on with our love of gaming without this inter company console war.
Commander_AK-47 wrote: Yea, fuck you Dick. :p
no, fuck you ak, fuck you.
Last edited by Dick Motorman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

Ok fine, god damn it. I was wrong, I'm sorry. If you guys can't be civil about it then whats the point.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

again with the delusional lies. The gloves came off when YOU started flinging insults at seraph.