Katamari Damacy

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Painaxl
Runner

Katamari Damacy

Post by Painaxl »

Anyone else played this? I just bought it and it's gotta be the craziest, most fun puzzle game I've ever played. Ridiculously awesome.

This will make no sense: It feels like a Sega game on the Gamecube, but it's a Namco game on PS2.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It was March.. I was walking down akihabara hunting for old games... and I heard a voice behind me (while I held the Sega Ages 2500 discs I was missing) that sang:

"Laaaaaa lalalalalala laaa la laaa"

And I saw the Namco logo...

Horrorized I walked away from the booth it was displayed on, and the guy at the register kindly told me to play it . I didn't and simply paid for my goods.

3 days after that, I woke up for the third time chanting thr intro music. Damn it. I had to do that to my friends.

I bough it.. and they even gave me a "Prince" strap (Which I hold as very valuable to me now)

Several days later I arrived home.. and thought "I'll try this weird game since I most probably won't play it ever again".

I was deeply mistaken.

I was hooked for several hours, up till 4am playing the thing even with the jet lag I had. I finished the game the next day and my thumbs were sore. But I was a happy man.

I love the thing. I immediately pre-ordered the soundtrack... and now I have played it in english. I love it.

One small detail though, in Japanese the King says that he was under the effects of Alcohol when he did what he did to the stars =)
Last edited by Artemio on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

This was one of the few non Metal Gear/Street Fighter games I purchased this year. I've been stressed this past year and I find that rolling over people with a giant ball of junk surprisingly satisfying.
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Oh, that game's great.

I just started modifying one of the old PSX dual Analog flight sticks to work with that game.

And that theme song haunts my dreams.
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

Snatcher wrote:One small detail though, in Japanese the King says that he was under the effects of Alcohol when he did what he did to the stars =)
I think that's pretty much inferred in the US release... I think he says something like "We were partying pretty hard" or "we got pretty crazy" or something.

Seriously, though, this game is unbelieveably entertaining.

That soundtrack is amazing. The "I wanna roll you into my life..." song is classic.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

For Japan, I expected some wilder shit than this, but it is most definitely fun.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Nighttrain

Post by Johnny Nighttrain »

yeah, this is an excellent game. definitely had one of the best soundtracks (if not the best) of last year.

oh oh oh, and just incase any of you guys missed out on these beauts.

http://katamaridamacy.jp/download/index.html
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Here's hoping we get a sequel. I still can't believe they released this in the states.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Szczepaniak
Runner

Post by Szczepaniak »

I just found this topic, and I must agree that KD has to be one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played.

It is painfully good, and I believe the perfect example of something that could only be done with modern technology.

MG games worked well on old technology, but KD is something that wouldnt really work as well on older systems.

Easily one of my personal favourite PS2 games, besides Skygunner and MGS3, definetly the highlight of this generation.

Pity the UK never got it, thank goodness for my Messiah chipped PS2. :evil:
(which let me state I use only for imports, since it was the only chip that played any region of both PS1 and PS2 game)
Designer of "Trampalien Gunmen" on Dreamcast