Your personal top 10 games?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Your personal top 10 games?

Post by 87th »

I'd listed most of my list in a thread about a month ago, and Artemio suggested it might make a good topic, so I've decided to start one.

The idea is to list your favourite 10 games of all-time in order of preference (that last bit isn't mandatory, but it's heavily encouraged). You could maybe make a note of why you think so highly of each game too, or just a summary of why you picked those games.

Though the lists are based on personal preference, and personal opinion on a game's quality cannot be argued with, discussion about the games that people have mentioned is quite welcome.

Here's my personal list, based on everything I've played since I was three years-old. You don't have to use this as a template, as it's just the way that made sense to me. -

10- Flashback (Megadrive)
The first game I played that ever struck me as "adult". A fantastic early attempt at incorporating gripping narrative in an action game. Flashback is a game that was made with care and a genuine interest in the quality of the end result.

9- Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Megadrive)
It's very hard for me to single out one Sonic game as my favourite, as they each meant so much to me when I was growing up, but level-by-level, Sonic 2 is the strongest of the series. Fantastic gameplay, music and one of the first endings with any genuine emotional attachment. An incredibly fun game, and my idea of the perfect platformer.

8- Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
I have a very hard time respecting the opinion of anyone who said they didn't enjoy Resident Evil 4. The opening moments of gameplay are some of the most intense in any game, and the pace only heightens from that point on. The best reinvention of a series ever (and I'm aware of Super Mario 64 while I say that).

7- No More Heroes (Wii)
Though the game was a little spoiled for me when I played the superior "God Hand", the game's unique style makes it stand up on its own right. There's some unforgettable moments of genius in here (though I wish they weren't so far apart), and some original gameplay concepts that I hope designers will keep in mind in the future.

6- God Hand (PlayStation 2)
I absolutely love this game. It looks very rough, the voice acting is very bad, and the humour won't agree with everyone who plays it, but none of those points bring the game down for me at all. The gameplay here is wonderfully thought-out, and the replaying a level was never a chore for me, as I loved trying out new ideas in each fight.

5- MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the <B>Patriots</B> (PlayStation 3)
I'm really shocked by how controversial MGS4 has been with fans, as I thought it was the best job anyone could have done with bringing the series to a close. The gameplay rewards those who decide to use stealth or action in equal measure, the loose plot points are tied up in the most sensible ways available, and the new characters and bosses are very comfortable within MetalGear. I liked this a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I would, so I'm surprised every time I hear someone was disappointed with it.

4- MetalGear Solid (PlayStation)
No game has made more of an impact on me than MetalGear Solid did, the first time I played it. The cinematic quality, focus on storytelling, and considered pace were all huge shocks to me. It's always a huge shock whenever I play a game that I consider to be better than MGS.

3- Snatcher (Mega CD)
I don't know if I've ever played a game that was designed with as much care as Snatcher. I played the game for the first time, only a few years ago, but it still seemed stunningly new when I did. The level of detail in Snatcher is stunning, and it truly does feel like there is a whole fictional world going on around the game's protagonist.

2- killer7 (Gamecube) The game that made me stand up and take notice of Goichi Suda. A fantastically creative take on the dated adventure game genre. The direct approach of the battles and the insane cutscenes make this an unforgettable experience that will always stick with me.

1- MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) This is MetalGear broken into the components that I love about the game, without anything that dampens my enthusiasm. Brilliantly tense stealth, some dramatic twists and some incredible ideas (that seemed original to many when MGS re-used them 8 years later) make MetalGear 2 my favourite game of all time.

I'm very happy with my decisions, but I always prepare to make some changes whenever I'm about to play a new Kojima or Suda game.

Though the suggestion may seem a little pompous, I can't think of a better time to bring up my Playfire page, incase anyone is anyone is interested in what other games I'm into. I've learnt a lot from people with similar tastes before, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it-
http://www.playfire.com/87th
Junker Gear Snatcher
Favorite Game: (Ask me sometime, PMs welcome)
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid series (all of them)
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
-MGS: Portable Ops
-MGS: Portable Ops +
-MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
Snatcher
(Policenauts someday, thanks to you dedicated folks.)

Re: Your personal top 10 games?

Post by Junker Gear Snatcher »

Top ten, huh? Won't be able to do it Justice, and unfortunately I can't list them in order, but perhaps this will be my top Ten

Monkey Island 2 An oddball point and click action adventure game created by Lucasarts, consisting of strange but memorable characters, crazy puzzles, on the floor comedy, and lots of monkeys. The series has 4 parts, but the second one was the best, a wimpy hero with guts turned Mighty pirate without luck. Might be rare now, but it's great.

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core The main attribute to this game's greatness is the sad kind of "Wow.. he did that" It's heartbreakingly tragic, and it really got me since I have such a high opinion of true friendship.

Metal Gear Solid Series The series as a whole.. I'm not going to go into details. But in my opinion, you can't just take out one part, it's one big journey.

Snatcher I loved the idea, the atmosphere, and how well the game summed up an age of gaming. Backed by a great storyline, nice twists, and intriguing investigations. Another thing I liked was that it wasn't stuffed full of action, but only had a few, and although a few more wouldn't have hurt, it's a great masterpiece.

Final Fantasy VIII Sentimentally, it has many reasons. I apologize, but it's a little hard to go into detail on this one.. But what I can impart with is: It was introduced to me by my Uncle. I bought it for myself. I played it with my father. I lost my copy after it stopped working (for no reason) and then my second and current copy was given to me by a real good friend, whom.. I don't have anymore.

Suikoden V A great RPG series I held very dear. It's another Konami game, this one focuses on a hero who gathers 108 individuals into his army, each greatly developed characters. Rather lengthy games, a great 6 man battle system, a compelling and interesting ingame history. However Suikodens I, II and V are the only ones worth mentioning, the others are good, but lost track of what Suikoden was really about, Suikoden III has a decent storyline but lacked the battle system of the ones I listed, which does hurt it's presentation.

Suikoden II EXCELLENT: Sprite-work, characters and their development, nostalgia for Suikoden I. I've declared it the best video game sequel ever. A great plot, excellent themes and morals. The best gameplay, multiple storyline paths, and a battle system that has only been beaten by it's lastest installment Suikoden V. To V's right, it's hard to say which is the best Suikoden...

Mario games Who doesn't like Mario? I get a lot of Mario games because of my family (I have two, much younger sisters) and it's always a great set of household games.

Resident Evil The Gamecube remake and the fourth installment are my favorites, but each game in the series adds something to be remembered.

That's about all I can think of, but like I said, doesn't do it justice, I have a WIDE variety of games, and I appreciate them all for different reasons.

Lots of good ones out there.
----------------------------------
Listening to my own "Policenaudio."
Author with one finished book,
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

And yet I still find time to be a Junker.
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
3. Snatcher
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Libery
5. Fahrenheit
6. Tombi
7. Crash Bandicoot Warped
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Bioshock
10. God of War

Sadly the rest of the MG series isn't anywhere near the top ten. And I'm sure Policenauts will break in once I play it.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Nitroadict
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

(in order of on the spot choosing / memory)

1.) Xenogears - This was the 3rd RPG I played, and was completly caught off-guard. The storyline was absolutely incredible, & forever changed my life. This game was so good, not even Squaresoft messing around with the presentation on Disc 2 screwed it up. Play this game now, because this will be the one game that does not get ported to a new system anytime soon. I will not bother trying to sum it up, just go play it.

2.) Metal Gear Solid 1 - 4
MGS1 - Made me into a hardcore gamer, as it was the first game I played & beat without the strategy guide (before so, I usually bought the guides, but this was the first game where I not only beat it by myself, but used GameFaqs for the first time for the ending bonuses, etc.). Gameplay / story was obviously incredible, etc. This is my non-RPG Chrono Trigger, essentially.
MGS2 - Holy. Crap. The only frustrating thing about this game was that among my friends, I was the only one who understood everything story-wise. This was the first MGS game that took up more time then the rest of my video game library. The story was almost as groundbreaking as playing Xenogears.
MGS3 - :head explodes: I didn't think they could top MGS2, but they blow it out the water by making a toned down but a little more complex than MGS1's story, with a focus on gameplay that makes this game the most enjoyable to replay MGS game, imo. The ending was the most significant video game ending since Final Fantasy VIII, and was one of the few times I teared up because of a video game. This game also shifted me to playing more MGS, and I more or less stopped playing RPG's because of it.
MGS4 - Story, closure finally, but not without flaws in the execution. I'll need to watch the story more than once to form a better summary.

3.) Final Fantasy VIII - Despite what many bitc*ed about, this game is excellent:
- The Junction System got rid of the annoying monotonous Materia system that got tedious by second half of the 1st disc in FFVII. It allowed you to customize your characters faster, better, & stronger. You could easily progress the game faster at lower levels (thus, less levelling up) due to this.
- The Story was more mature & achieved this easily (albiet, at the cost of other character development beyond Squall & Rinoa, in the later part of the game). I'm sorry, but subsequent FF games have not bothered touching maturity since 8 & 9, and they suffer for it. Interestingly, many trends for later FF games ( X, X-2, XII, and most likley XIII) are begun here stylistically, but are not nearly annoying as in later games (cutscenes, while plenty in VIII, are used wisely; romance is serious but not heavy handed & dull like in later games, character design, etc.)

- Triple Triad. That is all.

- Laguna backstory was good enough to be it's own game.
- The ending was landmark for it's technical finesse (30 mins long, beautiful CG that would slightly perfected during the rest of the PSOne's cycle), and was incredible story wise to boot.

- The story was the most interesting & experimental FF story since VII (yes, that was only just before VIII, but VII was nothing to scoff story wise at), and the FF story's, sans XIII since its not out yet, have not been as good since 8 or 9.

- Personal nostalgia, since me & my 2 best-friends played this game to death, and were also the only ones who seemed to like it & understand it in our neighborhood XD.

4.) Grand Theft Auto III & IV

- GTA III was revolutionary for obvious reasons, and was easier / more interesting to play than the earlier entries. It also has huge nostalgia factor for being one of the first PS2 games I played (and those long night sessions of GTAV III over at friend's house while we drank alcamahols :D ) I didn't care for later entries beyond mild interest in their respective settings (I got bored of Vice City, and hated the way San Adreas looked & played). GTA IV however, is evolutionary for obvious reasons, and has the best GTA story. I'm not even finished with GTA IV but it belongs in this spot easily.

5.) Chrono Cross
- I never played Chrono Trigger until after this (still never bothered beating it all the way), but this game absolutley incredible. Pushed the limits of the PSOne's capabilities, hours of gameplay with an interesting levelling & battle system, great amount of characters, and one of the best storylines ever that reminded me of the classic FF IV & FF VI, only more evolved. The last good RPG from Sqaure that involved most of the dream team, alas. The music is gorgeous & moving (Mitsuda ftw \m/ ), and the ending was one of those few good tear tearjerkers (with major help from the ending theme).

6.) Mario64, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Goldeneye64 - These games made (along with MGS1) me a more serious video game player (previously was a casual gamer with my SNES & friend's Genesis at his house), period. This (and the playstation) was my SNES since I wasn't old enough to really know about the SNES and experience the whole anticipation for it (was 5 or so) when it launched.

7.) Phantasy Star Online (on Dreamcast) got me interested in online play. Dreamcast introduced me to homebrew.

8.) DOA2 / Soul Caliber / Power Stone / Smash Bros. were the first fighting games I could enjoy playing (i.e. fighting games that didn't involve learning rote moves list, but didn't rely on button mashing either).

9.) Super Mario 3 & Super Mario World (via Mario All Stars) were the first games I more or less played consistently.

10.) Legend of Legaia & Final Fantasy VII were the first RPG's I played. Legaia being the more traditional RPG, VII being the more modern RPG, both being great experiences.

Honerable Mentions:

Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenosaga I, Fahrenheit, Fear Effect (Never Finished), Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Star Ocean 2: Second Story, FF VI & IX, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Pokemon Red & Blue (original GameBoy releases), Legend of Dragoon, Kingdom Hearts, Halo, Chrono Trigger, & Super Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi,
Junker Gear Snatcher
Favorite Game: (Ask me sometime, PMs welcome)
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid series (all of them)
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
-MGS: Portable Ops
-MGS: Portable Ops +
-MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
Snatcher
(Policenauts someday, thanks to you dedicated folks.)

Post by Junker Gear Snatcher »

Nitroadict wrote:(in order of on the spot choosing / memory)

3.) Final Fantasy VIII - Despite what many bitc*ed about, this game is excellent:
- The Junction System got rid of the annoying monotonous Materia system that got tedious by second half of the 1st disc in FFVII. It allowed you to customize your characters faster, better, & stronger. You could easily progress the game faster at lower levels (thus, less levelling up) due to this.
- The Story was more mature & achieved this easily (albiet, at the cost of other character development beyond Squall & Rinoa, in the later part of the game). I'm sorry, but subsequent FF games have not bothered touching maturity since 8 & 9, and they suffer for it. Interestingly, many trends for later FF games ( X, X-2, XII, and most likley XIII) are begun here stylistically, but are not nearly annoying as in later games (cutscenes, while plenty in VIII, are used wisely; romance is serious but not heavy handed & dull like in later games, character design, etc.)

- Triple Triad. That is all.

- Laguna backstory was good enough to be it's own game.
- The ending was landmark for it's technical finesse (30 mins long, beautiful CG that would slightly perfected during the rest of the PSOne's cycle), and was incredible story wise to boot.

- The story was the most interesting & experimental FF story since VII (yes, that was only just before VIII, but VII was nothing to scoff story wise at), and the FF story's, sans XIII since its not out yet, have not been as good since 8 or 9.

- Personal nostalgia, since me & my 2 best-friends played this game to death, and were also the only ones who seemed to like it & understand it in our neighborhood XD.
I gotta agree there. I've got so many personal and sentimental reasons for liking this game that I can't sum it up accurately.
On the same note, you mention FFIX, which I also like about as much as VIII, but I don't like having a list with one series repeated, I make an exception with Crisis Core because it's very tragic and has a unique set of values I feel separate it from Final Fantasy. That probably sounds weird.

And in Suikoden's case, Suikoden II is unique because it's practically a "and then the next day.." kind of sequel to Suikoden I. It happens like right afterwards, has over 50% of the same characters return and yet it's a huge improvement from the first.

LOL, from your selection of games, I'd recommend Suikoden to you, if you haven't played it but I'm NOT sure how rare Suikoden I and II are. I'll admit it. I don't have a legitimate copy of Suikoden II. I should pick up a copy though.. I'm on eBay now, and it's goes for 80 dollars to 215 dollars, new. Previously played and such looks cheaper, when I hunted for it years ago, that wasn't even an option.

Suikoden I is important for setting the plot for the later games, but the execution is HORRIBLE, you'd consider it a "what the heck.. is this game a homebrew?" It's that bad. Misplaced characters, names, spellings, choppy graphics, etc. Suikoden II however is so much better in execution and only has the odd translation error and funky glitch, the easily ignorable kind.
----------------------------------
Listening to my own "Policenaudio."
Author with one finished book,
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

And yet I still find time to be a Junker.
Nitroadict
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear I
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Metal Gear Solid IV
Metal Gear Solid Mobile
PSN: Nitroadict

Post by Nitroadict »

One of my friend's recently started playing Suikoden II and I watched him play it / explain to me what it's about. I might consider playing it whenever I beat all the other RPG's I own that I haven't beaten yet.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

1. Metal Gear Solid - Probably the most incredible gaming experience I've ever had. So finely crafted, not a single flaw I can think of, way ahead of its time. I don't need to back this one up, since most of you here hold this one in very high regard.

2. Shenmue I & II - An unforgettable saga that took me on a journey of emotions when I first played it back in Christmas 2000. Yet another title I would say was far ahead of its time, especially when it came to immersive realism. The best Christmas I ever had. The sequel not only stood up to the first title, but went further, creating an epic feel about it. I like to think the first one as a game made for the experiences, whilst the second one is pure cinema with an epic feel to it all. Very unique atmosphere and feeling to it all that I haven't come across since. Yu Suzuki supposedly watched over eighty movies during his research of the game, and it shows; the cinematics are incredible same goes for the presentation, the use of the cmaera is as good as it is in any Kojima title. The guy clearly loved movies. All in all, $70,000,000 well spent, if you ask me. :P

3. Snatcher - The game I've been wanting to play for years, it has everything i could want for in a game; dark tone, great comedy, detailed to the brim, brilliant cast of characters and a really involving story that's typical Kojima; a conspiracy thriller with plenty of mystery and packed full of shocking twists and revelations. Incredible. This game is the ultimate testament of Kojima's love for science fiction movies. And what a homage it is. This game is made for the movie lovers.

4. Ristar - I love Sega. Well, the Sega of old. I grew up with my Sega consoles. And this game i played the most, so it's only natural that I would hold this game in high esteem. Even to this day, I feel it's the finest game I've played on my beloved Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. Considering this was what Sonic was once going to be (a rabbit with extendible arms), I find it ironic that he has gone on to spawn many titles and successful financially, yet this guy, Ristar, would be left behind on the Genesis, along with many other classic titles, with no continuations. Anyhow, great memories, of a great game that totally lived up to my hype getting to play it again after almost twelve years of not playing it.

5. Blade Runner - Best game adaption ever. I don't feel I need to say much about this one really, but those of you here who loved Snatcher or liked Blade Runner, this is essential. Amazing story that ties into the movie perfectly.

6. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - By far my favourite Nintendo title of all time. I don't want to go into detail, since it really is what it is. Many games try and imitate it and the rest of the series, but fail.

7. Rocket Knight Adventures - Another Genesis title that lived up to playing it again so many years later. Whatever happened to this mascot, Konami? Bring him back!

8. Metal Gear 2 - 87th said it best, really. Nothing to add.

9. killer 7 - I'm with 87th on this too, this truly unique gaming. Very ambitious and absolutely incredible. I love how insane this game is, and how the game never stops to incorporate as much variety as it does. Great boss battles

10. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Completely blew me away the first time I played it. This game officially made me a fan of Kojima's, and not just of Metal Gear. This game made me search out the writer of this game. What a game, totally ahead of its time, taking everybody by surprise. This was not the sequel we were expecting and it was all the better for it. Kojima should be proud of this game and ignore all the naysayers, since I do feel he takes far too much of the criticism to heart.

Notable mentions:
MGS4 - Another great experience, but the story isn't as mindblowing to me as MGS1 and 2 were, I still like it much more than MGS3 though. The gameplay is excellent, and very few games have as wide a variety of gameplay as this one does. And Act IV almost brought me to tears, it was purely beautiful nostalgia.
Violent Storm - Best beat 'em up game I've ever played. If you haven't played it and love Streets Of Rage and Final Fight as much as I do, it's essential. It's got the best gameplay of a brawler I've ever played, whilst also making a clever parody of the genre. Konami are king.
Berserk: Gut's Rage - I really liked the storyline (plenty of twists and well developed characters), the voice acting is really good and the boss battles are awesome.
Lost Eden, Grim Fandango, Flashback, Out Of This World, Gunstar Heroes, Mischief Makers, Max Payne, ZOE2, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, House of the Dead 2, Street Fighter 2 series.
87th
General
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

Henry Spencer wrote: 7. Rocket Knight Adventures - Another Genesis title that lived up to playing it again so many years later. Whatever happened to this mascot, Konami? Bring him back!
They just recently included Sparkster as a hidden character in "New International Track & Field" on the DS. There's a fair few Konami characters in it, including Snake and Pentarou from Penguin Adventure. For the most part, the game's quite good, but some of the events are quite badly designed, and you have to play them all to progress in the game. It might have been worth it if those few overwhelming imperfections been improved.
whitetrashshayno
Runner
Favorite Game: mgs..all of em, final fantasy 7
Kojima games owned: metal gear 1,2,snakes revenge
mgs 1,mgs vr missions,2substance,document of mgs2, mgs3,mgs3s,mgs4 collectors edition, portable ops, acid,portable ops+, digital graphic novel

Snatcher
PSN: wtshayno

Post by whitetrashshayno »

1. Final fantasy VII
2. Metal gear solid 4- yeah i know it's real new but i haven't felt that WOW about a game in a really really really long time.
3. mgs
4. Final fantasy VI
5. Mega man 2
6. Marvel vs capcom 2
7. legend of zelda ocarina of time
8. Super mario 3
9. Ninja gaiden 2 NES
10. Metal gear solid 3
Wanted list
Mgs 1 pal premium pack (unsealed but with all the stuff), first bite poster, mgs 3premium pack, mgs 2 premium pack , Mgs 3 subsistence us limted edition unsealed.

Any smashing pumpkins,beck, radiohead, arcade fire, spoon, beatles, or doors vinyls :)
violentpig
Colonel
Favorite Game: MGS4
Kojima games owned: www.liquidocelot.com for list

Post by violentpig »

I'm not gonna get into explanations, but one thing that may surprise people is Metal Gear only appears once as I'm such a huge collector. And before June, Metal Gear wouldn't have even cracked my top 10!

1) Metal Gear Solid 4

2) Zelda, Ocarina of Time

3) Final Fantasy Tactics

4) Chrono Trigger

5) Super Mario Galaxy

6) Resident Evil 4

7) Metroid Prime

8) Chrono Cross

9) Super Mario World

10) Super Mario 64

I mean, I've been playing games hard since 1985 so it's hard to almost list just 10. I mean, I love Viewtiful Joe, Super Metroid, Sonic CD, Super Castlevania, FF7, FF3, MGS1,2,3, Hot Shots Golf, Madden, tons more - but I think the above are in a class of it's own for me.
....snake?
SSSNNNAAAKKKEEE!!!
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

10. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
9. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8. Call of Duty (Series)
7. Resident Evil 4
6. Half Life (Series and Mods)
5. Rainbow Six (Series)
4. Battlefield 2
3. Mercenaries 1 and 2
2. SOCOM US Navy SEALs (Series)
1. Metal Gear Solid (Series)

Wow, looking back at that I can see that its a horrible attempt at my list of favorite games, LOL. I seriously can not put a coherent list together so that will have to do.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

I haven't played too many of the current games so my list will have a lot of old stuff. My list is in no particular order minus any Kojima games.

Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star 2
Herzog Zwei
Revenge of Shinobi
Super Mario Bros.
Metroid
Final Fantasy IV
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Space Harrier
SnakeMGS4
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid 1 Twin Snake, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Zone of the Enders.
PSN: SnakeMGS4

Post by SnakeMGS4 »

1. Metal Gear Solid 2
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Rockband 2
5. Folklore
6. Fahrenheit
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
8. Zone of the Enders
9. Killzone
10. Rockband 1
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

1. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
2. Left 4 Dead (PC)
3. Grim Fandango (PC)
4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the <B>Patriots</B> (PS3)
5. Team Fortress 2
6. Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
7. Flashback (Sega Mega CD)
8. Tekken 3 (PSone)
9. Super Mario 64 (N64)
10. Starship Titanic (PC)

Honorable Mentions:
*Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSone)
*Counter-Strike: Source (PC)
*Half-Life (PS2) - the PS2 version was a VAST improvement over the original game.
*Half-Life 2 (PC)
*The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
*Lylat Wars (N64) - I believe it's called Starfox 64 over in the States?
*S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC)
*Crysis: Warhead/Crysis Wars (PC)
*Call of Duty series (PC) - They were all great except for Call of Duty 3, which was quite possibly the hugest disappointment I'd ever experienced in a video game.
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
87th
General

SNATCHER SERIES

POLICENAUTS SERIES

BOKTAI SERIES

OTHER SERIES

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES

Post by 87th »

SnakeMGS4 wrote:1. Metal Gear Solid 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
You liked it so much you listed it twice?
Phenomenal Flea
Favorite Game: killer7, Mother 3, Hotel Dusk, MGS3, SOTC...
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN, does this count?)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (2discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (3discs, PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, does this count? He was involved)
PSN: Phenomenal_flea
Wii Friend Code: Cantremember
Xbox Live: Phenomenal Flea

Post by Phenomenal Flea »

I'm sorry for digging up an old thread, I just thought I'd throw in my own opinion

1) killer7
2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
3) Mother 3
4) Snatcher
5) Resident Evil 4
6) Hotel Dusk: Room 215
7) The Orange Box
8 ) Yakuza 2
9) Day of the Tentacle
10) Flower

Honorable Mentions:
Phoenix Wright, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, Shadow of the Colossus, Jet Set Radio, The World Ends With You, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Pokemon Crystal (it's nostalgia, I'm sorry), Madworld, Psychonauts, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Farenheit, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2, Rez, Mario Kart DS, Curse of Monkey Island, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, Final Fantasy VII, Bioshock, God of War, Warioware: Twisted, Viewtiful Joe

I want to fit Policenauts on there at some stage, and my Japanese isn't good enough to play so I'll wait for the patch. And I want to play God Hand!
Hmm... I just noticed that my Top 10 list comprises mostly of modern games. Sorry!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

May as well join in too. :mrgreen:

10) Ecco The Dolphin: Tides of Time
Yeah, it's a game about dolphins. If you haven't played this game yet, it's a good one (Sega CD version has excellent music).

9) Abe's Odysee
The classic Oddworld game. Sidescroller puzzle/action game. Very creative.

8) The Legend of Dragoon
I'm actually surprised nobody has mentioned this one so far. A fantastic rpg that requires the player's constant attention. No more looking away from the screen during battles and mindless tapping of the controller buttons to get it over with.

7) Max Payne
I give this game an annual playthrough. A great action game, that also has some very interesting dream sequences. The sequel is fairly good as well.

6) I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
A horror-themed adventure game. It creates moral dilemmas for the player to work through in five different scenarios (with five different characters). Has a very Tales from the Crypt type feel to it. Mind bending and slightly disturbing (i.e. not for kids).

5)Lunar Silver Star Story: Complete
If you haven't heard of this one, then you're missing out. It's certainly one of the better rpgs. The part that really shines through is the translation job. A very comical game.

4)Joe & Mac (PC version)
Another great multiplayer game.

3)Flashback
Best selling French game of all time. Another rotoscoped adventure, although this one is a bit more cyberpunk. Very cool if you're into that sort of thing.

2)Out of This World
Very popular french rotoscoped game, I believe somebody else here had it on their list. It's basically a movie in game format. Absolutely brilliant.

1)System Shock 2
Cyberpunk at it's best. Plus has some of the greatest to offer in a full coop storyline.
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

1. Deus Ex. No matter how many games I play, none of them come even close to matching the perfection that was Deus Ex. It had everything right, down to FPS and RPG elements being in perfect balance with each other. Only criticism is the poor graphics, which failed to perform well even on a pimped-out PC when the game came out.

2. Snatcher. The most intensive gaming experience I've ever had. I recently re-played it, hooking my PC up to a 5.1 sound system and used my NDS as a remote controller for the game. Pure awesome.

3. Chrono Trigger. Best JRPG ever.

4. Fallout 2. Best PC RPG I've ever played.

5. Gothic. Second best PC RPG I've ever played. I don't know why, maybe it's the whole being a prisoner thing and the fact that no one initially is interested in helping you, you're completely on your own.

6. System Shock 2. I shat myself.

7. Arcanum. Yet another PC RPG. Played it 5 times from beginning to end.

8. Call Of Juarez : Bound In Blood. This one really suprised me. Authentic western feel, complete with shootout, duels, cowboys and indians and good story.

9. La-Mulana. No mercy for the player, this game is fucking hard. It's also one of the most fantastic if not the best neo-retro games ever created. Think Indiana Jones mixed with Legend of Zelda. Side-Scrolling platforming action with secrets, new weapons, bosses and a, believe it or not, intriguing world and story. It was a blast to actually realize things in the game, making progress and then running to even more devious puzzles.

10. Gears of War. Can't think how many hours I wasted playing this game. This is the ONLY game in history that got my girlfriend into:
a) Playing Xbox
b) Trying shooters (And loving it!). We must have completed this game about 13 times. Nothing beats that chainsawing :)

And yes, I've played Final Fantasy VII, and Gothic 2 and 3. I've played Prototype. Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, all other Final Fantasies, God of War, Ultima 4, Chrono Cross, Archon, Clock Tower (SNES)... There are so many games I could name which I've thoroughly enjoyed. But I chose these because these are the games that made the biggest impact on me, and were the most enjoyable games I can remember.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
Ghost
Favorite Game: Difficult, I have so many
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (MSX2)
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2 original :D)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy Color, that's Ghost Babel;) )
Metal Gear Acid

Boktai (European)
Boktai (Japanese)
Boktai 2 (European)
Boktai 2 (USA)
Boktai 2 (Japanese)
Boktai 3
Lunar Knights

Hopefully soon Snatcher Mega CD

Post by Ghost »

Hi guys,

Well I shall try to narrow down my list of favorite games to just ten, but it is going to be tricky and my favorites might not be exactly in the order of favorite to most favorite games.

Fallout (PC)

This is pretty much my introduction to Pen and Paper inspired Western RPGs and Post Apocalyptic games, I had picked up a copy when I was still determined to purchase all kinds of PC games (in the illusion that they would be worth something one day) but didn't do much with it until one Sunday when I was really bored I decided to install the game to 'check out the city full of zombies).
The intro was amazingly good and after I started to wander around in the wasteland I got by the time I reached the mentioned city.

Fallout 2 was good too but I guess its the game that gets you into the series that is the most memorable.

Deus Ex (PC)

I had actually ignored this title when it first came out as it didn't seem to be my thing but several years later when my old PC couldn't run the latest games any more I picked up a budget version.
As I liked System Shock 2 I decided to give this game a chance, man I really should not have ignored this game as it is one of the most fun fps/rpg hybrids ever.
System Shock 2 is also really good but I really like the Earth setting, the opportunity to interact with other characters and the fact that weapons do not deteriorate which really became frustrating in SS2.

The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)

One day my old teacher got tired of us students constantly playing shooters on the school PCs, so he installed the first Secret of Monkey Island and challenged us to play that for a while.
I do not know what kind of impact it had on my class mates but it gave me a lasting love for adventure story games.

After this game I started to play all the Lucasarts adventure games I could find.

Half Life (PC)

Sure, I had played FPS games like Wolvenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake 2, but Half Life was the first game for me that showed that an FPS can be combined with adventure and story telling elements.
Rather than being some soldier moving through dungeons and shooting enemies, I was now a scientist who had to try to survive in a damaged laboratory complex that was being overrun by creatures from another dimension and government sent soldiers who are instructed to silence everyone including me.
And during all of this I had to find out where the aliens came from and stop their invasion.

Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX2/PS2)

I actually started with MGS2 Substance and later played MGS1 The Twin Snakes, but I enjoyed Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake the most even if its an older game because of the almost classic Hollywood 80's action flick set up; playing a lone soldier who must infiltrate a military nation to free a scientist and destroy a nuclear armed weapon that could threaten the rest of the world.

What also appealed to me was the almost 80's like Arcade graphic standard as during that period I was always envious of the people who were allowed to enter arcade halls (Arcade Cabinets here in the Netherlands were seen as gambling machines in the 80s and people below sixteen weren't allowed to enter most Arcade halls because of that) and play those games that looked so much better than home console and computer games.

Chrono Trigger (SNES/PSX)

One of the best JRPGs on the console, what else is there to say?
I played this game much later than most SNES users but I was instantly hooked by the storyline.

Super Metroid (SNES)

Ah the game that got me hooked on the Metroid games.
During a summer whole I was staying at my aunt I rented SNES games each day at the local video store and I wanted to try this out as it was one of the most rented titles ever.
After having played this I quickly picked up Metroid 2 for my Gameboy and immediately followed the news when Nintendo revealed Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime to be in development.
Since then I have purchased almost all Metroid games with the exception of that pinball game and the new releases of the classic Metroid.

Homeworld 1 (PC)

Homeworld is what you get when you combine space opera with 3D RTS gameplay.
At first I wasn't very sure about this game as the descriptions that the magazines gave it made it sound a little like an RTS sandbox game (which would make an interesting game) but the graphics were stunning, creating a 3D space setting for an RTS for the very first time.
The game told an epic story that made you long for more information and it also had excellent music.
To bad the sequel Homeworld 2 wasn't as captivating.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC/Wii)

When my mom told me that I could have a PC this was one of the first games I wanted to have, I was already hooked on adventures (see Monkey Island) and I am an Indiana Jones fan.
Not a day passed by with me looking at pictures in magazines and thinking about the storyline as I waited for the day I got my PC.
My nephew actually gave me a copy for my PC the very same day.

When I can think of a tenth title I will add it.
Supergrom
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
MGS 1
MGS 2
Xbox Live: Helga03

Post by Supergrom »

Top 10 games
1) Myth: The Fallen Lords (PC/Mac)
2) Myth II: Soulblighhter (PC/Mac)
3) Snatcher (Sega CD)
4) The Legend of Zelda (NES)
5) Half-Life (and mods, especially Action Half Life, Runaway Train, and Counter-Strike) (PC)
6) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/ Majora's Mask (N64)
7) Bionic Commando (NES)
8) Shining Force III (Saturn)

Those are all that come to mind at the moment. There are probably others, but those are all games that i've spent hours upon hours and/or beaten and gone back for another play through.

EDIT: honorable mentions that i can't quite put on the same level as the top 8, but thoroughly enjoyed nonetheless

The rest of the zelda series, half life 2, Max Payne 1 and 2, metal gear, MGS 1 and 2, Grim Fandango, Headhunter, Ninja Gaiden (NES), the rest of the Shining Forces, Super Mario Brothers 1 and 3, Street Figher 2,
Crux

Post by Crux »

Hi, I've been lurking here for years now, so I figured I might as well post something :)

10.) Donkey Kong Country trilogy by Rare - I got to play this game just recently, and while I've played platformers that might have been a bit better design-wise(Super Mario 3 comes to mind), I came to love this series almost instantly. It looks and sounds great, has lots of goofy and likeable characters, incredibly varied gameplay and i found it overall a lot more charming and memorable then any other platformer I've ever played(with one exception later in the list :)).

9.)Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger - While I'm no fan of JRPGs (I found Final Fantasy VII boring later on, and even early parts where interesting only thanks to great presentation), I really enjoyed these two. I'm putting them on same place because I played them in short succesion and found neither worse or better then the other, but grew to like both of them, albeit for different reasons. Final Fantasy VI had tons of memorable characters that became really fleshed out through out the game, and most importantly there was sense of character development. Each character also had its unique game mechanics and genuinly interesting backstory. Game had beatiful presentation, very good story, but what got it on the list where some most amazing moments I ever seen in game - Ghost train quest, end of first part of the game, opera scene and many many more. Chrono Trigger was equally amazing, although a lot more light-hearted experience(even though it had plenty serious themes), with one of the best soundtracks ever(I still listen to Brink of time from time to time :)), charming art design and some of the greatest sidequests(based on time manipulation) I've ever seen. Multiple endings, that were actually really interesting and made you experiment.

8.)Metal Gear Solid 2 - Although MGS was design-wise a bit better game(especially bosses and acing), I actually found the theme of the game(and ending) a lot more interesting and memorable. One of few games that are actually thought-provoking (and not (only) in the what-the-f***-happened way :)). Yeah, and the arm was just silly(in the good way(I think :))).

7.)Psychonauts - Charming, funny, smart and fun to play. This game just bombards you with one memorable scene,character, boss battle or just idea after another. A true masterpiece. Also, it has Gogglelor level.

6.) Fallout - This game got almost everything about roleplaying games right - it has unforgettable atmosphere, is very well written and actually allows you to role-play. You have tons of ways to approach any given problem, and many choices leave more or less subtle mark on the game world. For me, it was especially the game's world which held most appeal(and made me return). Retro scifi visuals and technology, wast cities reduced to but a few ruins, all-present junk and wrecks, wild west laws, mutants, radiation, slavers, gangs, cults and much more, and all that underlined with fantastic ambient music and sound.

5.) Resident Evil 4 - Game design masterpiece, even though the story is stupid at best :) One of the most fun games I ever played, that's it. Sometimes the great gameplay is all you need(although fantastic visuals didn't hurt). Also, this is probably the most evenly paced game, with the best difficulty curve and scaling.

4.) Pokemon series - I've had too much fun with this series to not put it on the list. On the surface simple game, with very deep and balanced combat system, well paced gameplay, simple yet fun dungeon/gym/map design.

3.) A Dance with Rogues(Neverwinter Nights fan module/campaign) - this is not just the module, it's full-fledged game, and amazing one at that. You play as princess, whose entire family is slaughtered after kingdom of her father is conquered by its former allies. Now, the only thing left for you is to try to survive, not sure who to trust, for there are many all to eager to sell you out to the enemy. ADwR is an epic D&D game(although it might not look like one at the beginning) with one of the best told stories in any game. Game offers vast roleplaying possibilities, tons of well written characters, quests and lines of dialog. However what makes this game stand above others is interaction with your companions. If you've played games like KotOR or Final Fantasy and thought character interaction was good in those games, after playing ADwR, it will feel awkward at best. Characters in this game evolve as the adventure progresses, grow to like or hate each other, fall in love, cheat, comment almost every single event you come across without becoming annoying. Another remarkable feature is levelling. You gain only miniscule amounts of experience for killing enemies, most of the experience is awarded for smartest solutions of given problem, usually using stealth, subterfuge, charm and wits. Yet combat aspect still remains interesting(if you choose to progress your character development this way), and some of the encounters later in game rival best the genre has to offer.

2.) Thief series - The king of stealth games. MG might have been first, but there is no game that comes even close to unique experience of Thief games. Fantastic story, original world, great main character - spiteful, sarcastic loner Garret, the master thief. Unique atmosphere of the City, luxurious mansions that beside many riches hide dark secrets of their decadent owners, sinister plots, fanatical cults, Indiana Jones-like adventures in dark catacombs and living, thriving comunity producing fantastic missions and campaigns caused me to spend more time with this game then with any other single player game :)

1.) Planescape: Torment - You either love or hate this game. Its (very) wordy, combat is kind of weak(although pretty), classes are unbalanced(and there are only three of them for main character). On the other hand you have one of most fantastic stories ever told in any game. One of most beatiful settings ever created, Planescape, a multiverse of elemental, material and outer planes, last of which are formed by emotions, believes, loves, hopes, hatred, greed and superstitions of peoples of material planes. Bizzare, macabre, at times funny, at times sad. Most memorable game I ever played.
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Omega579 wrote:I haven't played too many of the current games so my list will have a lot of old stuff. My list is in no particular order minus any Kojima games.

Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star 2
Herzog Zwei
Revenge of Shinobi
Super Mario Bros.
Metroid
Final Fantasy IV
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Space Harrier
Yeah Phantasy Star ftw I love that
series. Sega Genesis was was my first console.
NANTO KAWAI!
Dezu
Favorite Game: Final Fantasy VII
Kojima games owned: MGS The Twin Snakes
MGS2 Substance
MGS3
MGS4
MGS Portable Ops
Snatcher
Policenauts
PSN: DezuReborn

Post by Dezu »

10 - Final Fantasy XII

9 - The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker

8 - Policenauts

7 - GTA III

6 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The <B>Patriots</B>

5 - Final Fantasy VIII

4 - Fallout 3

3 - Final Fantasy IX
Went back to the roots, had amazing music and great visuals.

2 - GTA San Andreas
Good story, lots of humour, solid gameplay and an amazing soundtrack and atmosphere.

1 - Final Fantasy VII
Amazing story, amazing music and a great atmosphere. Also had a great battle and leveling system.
snatchernaut
Runner
Favorite Game: snatcher

Post by snatchernaut »

10. full throttle (pc)
9. leisure suit larry series (pc)
8. space quest series (pc)
7. dragons lair 1 & 2 and space ace (arcade/lazer disc)
6. radient silvergun (saturn)
5. shenmue 1 & 2 (dreamcast)
4. policenauts (saturn version the best)
3. metal gear series (all)
2. snatcher (all versions)
1. ROAD AVENGER (mega cd) - a weird choice you may think. I use to love this when i was younger, the intro was the best. believe the music was different on the us version to the pal and ntsc jap version. but i played the pal version alot.
stalepie
Favorite Game: Landstalker
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, Metal Gear 1 NES, Boktai.

Post by stalepie »

I also like Road Avenger, but I guess it's not in my top ten. I was quite fanatical about it when it came out, though and beat it pretty quickly. (I also seem to be one of the few fans of Time Gal, but I haven't beaten that one yet).

Favorite games... hard to narrow it down to ten, but here goes:

1) Snatcher - love the graphics, music (especially PC 98 version), story, characters (favorite is Napoleon). This one is in many ways better than Blade Runner to me :)

2) Mortal Kombat (arcade). I know, I know: People say it has poor gameplay and is just about gore, but actually I disagree. The original was a cultural phenomena, at least in America. It was great in the arcades, learning about the secrets and the bugs.

3) Wipeout series (hard to pick from the first three, but the ones on the PS1 were all really cool, especially in their graphic design and futurism).

4) God of War (another Western game. Love this game's style and panache. It feels really brutal and wicked and takes you on an emotional ride like few action games before it)

5) Quake 1 (loved the original DOS game. Impeccable design and art style, with really cool sound effects by Trent Reznor. I just love the creepiness of this game's world and it was fun trying to make levels for it in Worldcraft)

6) Landstalker - should have named this one sooner. My favorite action-RPG, with some of the coolest dungeon designs I've seen in a game. Have not really played Equinox and Solstice which it is inspired by.

7) Streets of Rage - love Yuzo Koshiro and all his music, including for his current games like Etrian Odyssey and Maximum Tune. Also loved the fighting and city environments.

8) Night Striker - almost put Space Harrier, which I probably should, since Night Striker is the same kind of game and came later. But NS is a cool cyberpunk-type world that might appeal to Snatcher fans if you also like forward-scrolling shooters (think After Burner, G-Loc, Galaxy Force, etc).

9) The Immortal - just love tihs weird game on the Genesis. It was also released on IBM PC and Amiga, I think. Very strange isometric adventure where you play a wizard.

10) Castlevania - the NES original. Best music, backgrounds and gameplay. The sequels (so many of them) were great too. Big fan of the series.

Okay, I can easily list more than that, but it had to be limited to ten.