Any Panzer Dragoon fans?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Anubis
Runner

Any Panzer Dragoon fans?

Post by Anubis »

I've been going through the first two Sega Saturn games with the intent of playing PDS. I want to get the full series experience. (I started Saga once, but never finished because I got sidetracked by another RPG. Now I'm going back with full intent of playing though it all.)

Anyways, after finishing Panzer Dragoon Zwei last night, I'm just shocked. The ending levels were phenomenal. I was absolutely blown away by how amazing the sixth episode and the final boss were. I got the same feeling as when I reached the final level of Rez. Both of these games have breathtaking final stages. There were many points in the game that were extremely tense. Just barely beating a boss with a tiny sliver of life left is exhilarating. It's incredible that the Sega Saturn could pull that off. It's nice to still be floored by a game that was released so long ago. It's also nice to see a rather thought provoking story put into an on-rails shooter. I can't wait to see how it truly ties into the overarching series.

So far the art direction in the series has been beautiful. The worlds are vast and interesting, and the enemy designs are extremely unique. The music is also very well done. I love the orchestration of the first game, and the ambiance of the second.

Anyways, any other fans of the series here? Which is your favorite game in the series? Also, what are your thought on Saga and Orta? How could Team Andromeda be so freaking amazing?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Any Panzer Dragoon fans?

Post by el_ash »

I'm a HUGE Panzer Dragoon fan! :mrgreen:

I %100 loved those games to death, VERY fun and original games!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is probebly my favorite of the "Shooters", but "Saga" is fucking amazing!

"Saga" is more of an RPG/Shooter, and a damn good one! If you have played the first 2 games you will love "Saga".
I was playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and Final Fantasy VII at the same time, my 2 favorite RPG's of all time!

I have never had the chance to play "Orta", I really want to...since it returned to it's "shooter" roots.

I'm surprised and baffled that there hasn't been another Panzer Dragoon game...
They pulled off amazing feats on the Saturn, so on a PC or Next-Gen system....
I can't even imagine the amazingly beautiful graphics and things Team Andromeda could do!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

Apparently Team Andromeda took the same path as Clover Studios. After Andromeda disbanded, some members went and formed Smilebit. Smilebit is the studio responsible for Panzer Dragoon Orta. Anyways, after awhile Smilebit disbanded. So it looks like the chances of another PD game are pretty slim. Oh well, at least we have the original games.

If you haven't already, you should check out Rez. It's an on-rails shooter with some absolutely fantastic music. I think it's made by most of the original team, but I could be wrong about that.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Right after I posted I decided to look them up, it's a shame there will probebly be no more Panzer Dragoon! :-({|=

Same goes for games like Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Jet grind radio and Shenmue etc.
I don't know why such good games/franchises die off....it's pretty sad though.

I'll ahve to check out Rez!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

While the music is still absolutely wonderful, I can't say the first game has aged nearly as well as Zwei. The inability to dodge is extremely frustrating. It still sounds amazing though.

I've been going through Zwei all day trying to 100% the levels. I keep redoing the 3rd episode and missing one freaking enemy.

Anyways, I'm moving onto Saga. I'm watching the opening movie as I type this.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Zwei has ALOT of secrets/extras, ALL of wich are awsome!

Saga also has some very cool secrets/extras.
I didn't get ALL %100 of all maps explored...it's really tough to get every inch explored in Saga.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Another great series facepalmed by SEGA-Sammy. Anyway, my favourite by far is Orta, it's just simply beautiful and feels like the most refined games of the series. It has many extras too, including the first PD game, loads of wonderful artwork, a side story game, which is difficult as it is rewarding. Saga is amazing too, and I love the old games, but Orta has so many unlockables. It really is the final hurrah for the series, like they knew this would be the final one or something, they packed that much into the game.
Anubis
Runner

Post by Anubis »

They probably did know it was the final hurrah. I hate to sound pessimistic, but the team had to know what was in store for the series. Sounds like a game for the fans. What a bummer.
Spiritia_Dreaming
Favorite Game: Panzer Dragoon Saga
Kojima games owned: Snatcher

Post by Spiritia_Dreaming »

Panzer Dragoon Saga is probably my favorite videogame (with Snatcher being a close second). I am also a big fan of Zwei.
I didn't get ALL %100 of all maps explored...it's really tough to get every inch explored in Saga.
Agreed. My last Saga run through I was trying to get 100 percent on everything, and I did...except for the map. I ended up getting a 99 percent (and I was sure I had found all the difficult missable patches already). Oh well.
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Post by Randam Hajile »

I've only played the first game very briefly and Panzer Dragoon Saga up to disk four ( i lost all my data a couple of months ago. I'll have to start playing it again from scratch). Panzer Dragoon Saga amazed me when i fist played it back in '98 and it still does.