View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm



Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Obscure Games. 
Author Message
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:13 am
Posts: 561
Location: Neo Kobe
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
Anubis wrote:
I love this thread. Love's me some Saturn


Same here...
I was mainly a Sega fan, and I owned ALL of their systems except for the Master System I and II (played on the original systems back in the day though)

Here's one Genesis game that I loved back in the day! I don't know if anyone has played it here?
It was the goriest game I had played at the time because when you shot people they splattered and you could walk over the corpses and they squirmed!
There was talks of a 2 player sequel and I've seen screens of it, but I guess it became vaperware?


Attachments:
Technocop.jpg
Technocop.jpg [ 103.99 KiB | Viewed 2018 times ]

_________________
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Tue May 04, 2010 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am
Posts: 106
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
el_ash wrote:
Anubis wrote:
I love this thread. Love's me some Saturn


Same here...
I was mainly a Sega fan, and I owned ALL of their systems except for the Master System I and II (played on the original systems back in the day though)

Here's one Genesis game that I loved back in the day! I don't know if anyone has played it here?
It was the goriest game I had played at the time because when you shot people they splattered and you could walk over the corpses and they squirmed!
There was talks of a 2 player sequel and I've seen screens of it, but I guess it became vaperware?


I think i remember this one... Didn't it also feature some odd driving / car chase sequences? Definitely a gory game, even though nobody seemed to care too much about that at the time :mrgreen:


Tue May 04, 2010 5:42 am
Profile
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:13 am
Posts: 561
Location: Neo Kobe
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
zombie-flesheater wrote:
el_ash wrote:
Anubis wrote:
I love this thread. Love's me some Saturn


Same here...
I was mainly a Sega fan, and I owned ALL of their systems except for the Master System I and II (played on the original systems back in the day though)

Here's one Genesis game that I loved back in the day! I don't know if anyone has played it here?
It was the goriest game I had played at the time because when you shot people they splattered and you could walk over the corpses and they squirmed!
There was talks of a 2 player sequel and I've seen screens of it, but I guess it became vaperware?


I think i remember this one... Didn't it also feature some odd driving / car chase sequences? Definitely a gory game, even though nobody seemed to care too much about that at the time :mrgreen:


Yep that was it :mrgreen:

I never beat the game...
The final level was fucking impossible! I think it was the final boss that was too difficult, or something like that (I haven't played it in like 18 years).
I loved the cover art though...there's something about guns, trenchcoats and violence that I can't help but be interested in...lol!

_________________
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack


Tue May 04, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am
Posts: 106
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
el_ash wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
el_ash wrote:
Anubis wrote:
I love this thread. Love's me some Saturn


Same here...
I was mainly a Sega fan, and I owned ALL of their systems except for the Master System I and II (played on the original systems back in the day though)

Here's one Genesis game that I loved back in the day! I don't know if anyone has played it here?
It was the goriest game I had played at the time because when you shot people they splattered and you could walk over the corpses and they squirmed!
There was talks of a 2 player sequel and I've seen screens of it, but I guess it became vaperware?


I think i remember this one... Didn't it also feature some odd driving / car chase sequences? Definitely a gory game, even though nobody seemed to care too much about that at the time :mrgreen:


Yep that was it :mrgreen:

I never beat the game...
The final level was fucking impossible! I think it was the final boss that was too difficult, or something like that (I haven't played it in like 18 years).
I loved the cover art though...there's something about guns, trenchcoats and violence that I can't help but be interested in...lol!


Now that you mention it... the cover somewhat reminds me of Syndicate. Nostalgia all around here :D
By the way, it might be a good laugh to have a topic where everybody could just write down his favourite titles (lame, been there, done that, yeah) but they would all be added into the first post, like a roll of honour or something. At least i always tend to get goosebumps when somebody more or less accidentially mentions a title i used to play and like back in the days. Like the "hey, somebody else actually also played this" feeling.

Anybody remembering Cybermage - Darklight Awakening (1996)? It was quite an odd mixture of FPS / RPG and got rather good reviews back then, even though hardly anybody i encountered seems to remember it.
It actually reminded me a lot about Snatcher (cyberpunk style SciFi metropolis) and even back then i thought how great it was if they remade Snatcher using the Cybermage engine. Also i remember it as the one of the first games to use almost all of those familiar "generic sounds" like screams, door sounds, monster screams etc. you tend to hear over and over again in low budget games and B-movies.


Tue May 04, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:13 am
Posts: 561
Location: Neo Kobe
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
I hear they are re-making Syndicate BTW :mrgreen:

hmmm never played "Cybermage - Darklight Awakening"....

_________________
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack


Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:37 pm
Posts: 134
Location: Boston Atlanta Metropolitan Axis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
el_ash wrote:
I hear they are re-making Syndicate BTW :mrgreen:


YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

_________________
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...


Wed May 05, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am
Posts: 106
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
el_ash wrote:
I hear they are re-making Syndicate BTW :mrgreen:

hmmm never played "Cybermage - Darklight Awakening"....


I was rather disappointed since the talk about remaking an IP seemed as if they'd give us another Crusader game - which i would have preferred a lot more.

If you ever manage to get your hands on Cybermage, give it a try. It's one of those rare games that were definitely ahead of their time, but overshadowed by "more popular" mass products :(


Thu May 06, 2010 5:32 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:56 pm
Posts: 16
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
I love the King's Field series on the Playstation, especially the first one released to America (which is actually the second). It had this dark, moody foreboding atmosphere, kind of haunting, and was admittedly slow-moving, but was also one of the first (and still only) 1st person action RPGs (a much different game than Oblivion though -- more comparable perhaps in style to From Software's more recent title Demon's Souls). Anyway it was an interesting one.

Also I rather like the first level of Devil Hunter Yohko on the Mega Drive, climbing up that flower and all, and Granada on the Genesis is a good one too (made by Wolf Team).

Recently discovered what one of my earliest childhood memories was (I think): Pharoah's Curse, on the Atari 800. So I guess that counts as an obscurity that I like.


Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 am
Posts: 5
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
I believe IGN tried desperately to pull this game out of obscurity by mentioning how good it was in every article. In reality, it's an above average platformer due to good level design and admirable details throughout. I enjoyed it.

_________________
r4 sdhc


Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:49 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 11
Reply with quote
Post Re: Obscure Games.
Racing Lagoon for PSX.

Image

It's a hybrid RPG/racing game from Square, with really awesome music, about 50 or so cars that you can customize with thousands of combinations of parts, and a story that I wish I could understand more of since it's all in Japanese. Someone should do a translation patch for it, I think it would be interesting.

Image

This is the main character, Sho Akasaki. You play as him, and you start with that car in the background, a Toyota AE86 Levin. In game all the cars are given different names to avoid manufacturer licensing, so the Levin is called 86-Lev (the Trueno which everyone knows from Initial D is called 86-Thunder)

Image

The overworld map is like Final Fantasy VII with cars. You drive around and talk to people, and if you're caught in a passing racer's headlights...

Image

You get to race them! The controls are very arcade like, you have to drift a lot with the handbrake and the only downside is that car collisions are pretty unrealistic, hitting a car from behind bounces you backwards a few pixels but opponents' cars are affected the same way, meaning that you can block them easily :mrgreen:

Image

Here's where you customize your car. After you win races, you can take one piece off an opponent's car (if you have enough RP or "Reward Points") and then put them on yours! Leveling up those 3 core components of your car gives them more spaces to put parts in.


Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.