Attitudes towards rom translations and playing untranslated

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
RegalSin
Favorite Game: Comic Adventures

Attitudes towards rom translations and playing untranslated

Post by RegalSin »

I was reading on the website, about playing comic adventure games, without understanding them. Whoever wrote whatever seemed kinda snotty.

Seriously lets just face it, if you don't understand the language, it does not mean you can't understand it. It just means the player needs to learn the language, or cultural traits. That is all.

I buy these games, imported or not, and play threw. I pretty much understand where the game is going and what the reaction is. However we must understand something else.

This is another culture and they have their own standards. We are not them, we do not eat thier food, wear their clothing, or even participate in related events. More important is that we are them over their.

We are outlookers, from another place. Watchers like
in the Fantasic Four vs. Galactus. Most of us are powerless to do anything for them, or too them, asides purchase the products that comes from that place, and interact with people who are from that place. In the long run somebody can be so desperate that they are willing to merge with them.

So in short as a consumer of a product we should be happy for what we can absorb, or learn the language.

That is my two cents, and Barbara Walters will now be doing her golf ball popping trick.

Good Night...........
Marc
General

Re: Attitudes towards rom translations and playing untransla

Post by Marc »

May I ask which post/article this is in response to...?
metalrex

Re: Attitudes towards rom translations and playing untransla

Post by metalrex »

well youre right, some things you can understand just from the scenes, but for details you would need the translation