Deus Ex: Human Revolution

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Marc
General

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by Marc »

Anyone else looking forward to this? I played the leaked build and was thoroughly impressed -- we seem to finally have a proper Deus Ex sequel.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Post by el_ash »

Marc wrote:Anyone else looking forward to this? I played the leaked build and was thoroughly impressed -- we seem to finally have a proper Deus Ex sequel.
WOW I've been debating making a thread about this stating exactly what you just said LOL! :mrgreen:

I too have to admit to playing the "leaked" copy out of curiosity since I was a big fan of the original "Deus Ex" and it inspired the concept behind my Snatcher mod.
I skipped Deus Ex:Invisible War (the from what I hear shitty sequel), but "Human Revolution" seems to be true to the original.

I loved the "leak" and its only around 1/4 of the full game I think, but from what I experienced it's classic DX!
They perfectly set the tone and feeling of the game...I often felt like I was back in 2002 playing the original DX again! (in a good way)

I'm SOLD! I'm definately buying this game and advise all Cyberpunk or Deus Ex fans to do the same! \:D/

"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Kyrill
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 2, and Policenauts
Kojima games owned: Policenauts (PS)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid : Missions Spéciales
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty & Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eatrer limited metal edition
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops & Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots European Limited Edition
Metal Gear Solid : Digital Graphic Novel
Metal Gear Acid & Acid 2
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders : The 2nd Runner (European Special Edition)
PSN: kyrillmac

Post by Kyrill »

I never played a Deus Ex game, but I follow the news on this one since I saw the first trailer, it's not often that we can see some cyberpunk game coming out.
I will definitely play this one. Besides, I love sneaking missions !
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think the music in HR deserves special mention. I feel it'll end up being as integral to the experience as the music in Blade Runner is to that movie.

I played a little of Invisible War (Invisible Wart, I call it -- a blemish that doesn't exist to me), but I didn't like the tone at all. One could almost be forgiven for thinking it was developed by another team.

One of my favorite Deus Ex "moments" isn't actually from any of the games; it's when Jon Stewart was on Jay Leno circa 2001 and mentioned he had bought this game called "Deus Ex" and was loving the hell out of it. I've tried to find a clip of that online to no avail.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Marc wrote: One of my favorite Deus Ex "moments" isn't actually from any of the games; it's when Jon Stewart was on Jay Leno circa 2001 and mentioned he had bought this game called "Deus Ex" and was loving the hell out of it. I've tried to find a clip of that online to no avail.
Now that would be a cool clip to see! :mrgreen:
Kyrill wrote:I never played a Deus Ex game, but I follow the news on this one since I saw the first trailer, it's not often that we can see some cyberpunk game coming out.
I will definitely play this one. Besides, I love sneaking missions !
I did a good deal of stealthing around and it was great...it totally reminded me of MGS only in a first person view! :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Only a few days left to go now...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

This game is awesome. I can't recommend it enough.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

The game is great. Fantastic atmosphere, even though it looks more like Blade Runner (Black / Orange) than Snatcher (Black / Blue) of course.
I'm already about 20 hours into the game and it still isn't over. Can't say too much about the story without spoiling anything, but whoever played and liked part 1 should feel just like at home again. Multiple ways to overcome obstacles, use of non-lethal force, stealth, hacking...

There are currently only two things bothering me, hopefully to be corrected with a patch later on:

1.)
As much as i usually love bossfights in games, they just don't fit in here. Remember, in part 1, you could always evade real fights with the "bosses" (killphrase comes to mind), but here, you just HAVE to take lethal action against the bosses. You can't talk your way out of the fight, you can't subdue the bosses, you just have to blast them to pieces. I'm playing a stealthy hacker type character, avoinding any alarms and i also intend to just knock enemies unconscious - The only two exceptions were the two bossfights so far. At least the game provides plenty of weapons and ammo before and during those encounters, since i didn't bring anything with me except the tranquilizer rifle... But it still feels a little bit off...

2.)
The XP system appears somewhat broken. For example, if i hack a keypad i don't have the code for, i get XP. If i did find the keycode for the same lock earlier already, i get no XP whatsoever for opening this door by using the code. However, i can still hack the keypad i already found the code for, and end up with the same XP as if i didn't find the code in the first place.
So if you're after XP, you're better off ignoring any codes and hack everything regardless. Strange design choice. Thing is, you should gain the exact same amount of XP for hacking AND for finding the code / opening the door, but you shouldn't be able / or need to hack anything you already have the code for, just for XP's sake.
Sounds weird? Yeah, i guess... Anyone playing or having played the game might get an idea what exactly i'm talking about, though.
Another thing concerning XP: Stealthy gameplay is rewarded by giving out more XP for not being spotted. Granted. But it would be more satisfying if the game would reward you equally, no matter how you play, just as long as you progress. Alpha Protocol did this great. I had one playthrough playing it like i play DE:HR now (stealthy and non-lethal), and another one playing it exactly like any ordinary shooter. Both approaches worked and i ended up with pretty much the same amount of XP by the end of the game.
If i did this with DE:HR just now, i guess i would not have anything more than just half as much XP right now...

Anyways, go get it nevertheless!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I've been playing the game a lot. There are certain things I would like to see come back to Deus Ex in the future, for instance, a less personally driven storyline. I prefer the originals very conspiracy driven storyline (it was more complex as well). The gameplay is really good though, and there are many places in the game that you just sort of stop and look at the scenery. It was really well designed.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

JimboKudo wrote:I've been playing the game a lot. There are certain things I would like to see come back to Deus Ex in the future, for instance, a less personally driven storyline. I prefer the originals very conspiracy driven storyline (it was more complex as well). The gameplay is really good though, and there are many places in the game that you just sort of stop and look at the scenery. It was really well designed.
Well, at least DE1 (still didn't finish Invisible War... yet!) did actually have a very personal storyline, too. Maybe even more personal than the one in DE:HR.
Spoiler:
Things are starting off quite normal, but it is revealed than JC's brother seemed to have switched sides and is later on killed by the very same organization JC used to be working for - can't really get anymore personal than that.
DE:HR does also have a quite complex storyline. Putting the main story aside, you find LOTS of emails etc. hinting at things, connections, characters, places, DE1... Very much like in part 1, actually. I like it when games let you play at your own pace, i. e. being able to rush through the game just for the main story or getting a bigger picture on things through non-essential tasks like reading e-mails etc. That's what i also like about Snatcher. You can spend hours and hours just looking through the Jordan database, having random encounters but not moving the main story along at all.
As for the conspiracies, there's still a lot in HR, but i agree it was definitely even more in DE1. I can only imagine that they had to tone it down a bit since it wouldn't have made much sense to bring up too many conspiracies as HR is a prequel. With that many conspiracies, HR would have needed to
a) bring a closure to everything, which might seem a bit rushed and probably would have resulted in some plotholes and / or continuity errors regarding DE1.
b) leave most of it open, which would be quite pointless, since it would not resolve anything at all, as DE1 doesn't pick up on those conspiracies anymore for obvious reasons.
I just hope they'll make another sequel, but leave out the bossfights and fix the xp system this time around. I could also imagine a new game where you play JC's brother, giving you insight in the things leading up to what transpires in DE1.
John
Favorite Game: Um... uh... MGS1. Or 2. MG2:SS. 3.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (singed by Quinton Flynn)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
VR Missions
POLICENAUTS (PS1)
Zone of the Enders (PS2)

Post by John »

This game was amazing. I couldn't believe how much they got it right.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I still need to play it.

It looks very good, though.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」