Fellow fans, what non-Kojima games have you loved?

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Ok, here's someone who plays exclusively on PC (though that includes emulators).

Star Control 2 Already mentioned, so I won't go further in that. The open source project can be found at sc2.sourceforge.net.

Privateer A freeform space flight simulator, I consider this game far superior to it's contemporary Frontier. Realistic physics are thrown out the window in favor of good gameplay. Nicely fleshed out world, talking to people face to face and crowded space all add tons to the ambience.

Terranigma One of my favourite games ever for the SNES. Good and creative action-RPG hybrid mechanics, and a plot that is more in-depth and thought-provoking than anything I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy.

Parasite Eve First of all this game stands out to it's advantage in a sea of fantasy/scifi RPGs. Modern day New York with some science fiction and horror overtones, and unique gameplay.

Chrono Cross A worthy successor to Chrono Trigger, though there are few obvious connections. Once again a deep and complex plot. The game does suffer somewhat from having a huge amount of playable characters.

Deus Ex One of the greatest games ever. Dark near-future setting, cyberpunk, conspiracy theories... Above all the game allows different approaches to problems. Enemies may be gunned down, knocked out, sneaked past and in some cases convinced to put down their guns.

Thief series I'll acknowledge Kojima for inventing stealth-based gameplay, but he damn well didn't perfect it! Here enemies react to seeing and hearing you, notice if prominently displayed items go missing and best of all they won't forget everything after a minute. If someone triggers the alarm, tought luck. The guards will be alerted for the rest of the mission.
originalcracker

Post by originalcracker »

Wild Arms PSX This will probably always be my favorite rpg. Good mix of wild west action and fantasy settings. Even though it isn't the most graphically challenging game, or the deepest rpg out there, the characters and story just had something that made you fall in love with it. You actually cared about your characters after it was all over and wished that you could continue with there adventures. Awsome morricone inspired music. Some memorable fights.

Contra Hard Corps. Genesis Awesome Contra game that not a lot of people knew about. And the title says it all. It is hard. Plus it has like 7 different endings.

Lupin the 3rd Famicom This is an awesome NES game, too bad it didn't come out in English (there is a patch now). I like how it controls and that you can select from the three main characters, each one with unique controls. Once you can figure out how to controll them correctly, the game play is awesome.

Alundra PSX The Zelda Killer. Or what some had dubbed it before it came out. It was so much fun. But it didn't kill Zelda, that is kind of hard to do, especially if a lot of Zelda players didn't play Landstalker.

Sewer Shark SCD Hahah. I just can't get over this game. It is just a fun arcade kind of game that I can just sit down for 30 minutes and play to beat it. One of the reasons that made me get my Sega Genesis CDX.

Magic Night Rayearth Saturn This was the reason why I bought a Saturn. I actually found a new copy of MNR after the Saturn stopped selling and bought my Saturn and MNR at the same time for like $100. The game was wicked cute, and fun too.

There are plenty of other games in my library that I'd love to list here, but, I've got to cut it off somewhere. Plus, I have like 30 games that I've yet to play (mostly rpgs).
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

I can’t say I enjoyed "Shenmue" It was OK but it had rather tedious gameplay and some Japanese clichés. Here are some Games that weren’t made by Kojima that I did enjoy:

Enter The Matrix

Final Fantasy 7

Leisure suit Larry In The land of the lounge lizards

Half-Life 1&2

Halo 2

Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon

Resident Evil

Silent Hill

Day Of The Tentacle

Killer 7

Dead To Rights

Advent Rising

Blade Runner (PC game)

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Spiderman 2 (Video Game)

XIII

Police Quest 4: Open season

Gabriel Knight series

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Devil May Cry

No One Lives Forever

Spiderman (Ps1 game)

GunGrave

Family Guy(video game)

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Jet Grind Radio

Lumines

Rainbow Six series
Last edited by ratperson665 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

What do you mean by "Japanese clichés"? That game did an amazing job of recreating the feel of Japan. If you want to know what it's like before you go, play Shenmue 1.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Osiris wrote:What do you mean by "Japanese clichés"?

I mean things like the fact that Ryo's love interest was a childhood friend. That's been done 1000+ times in Japanese fiction. But getting back on topic another non-Kojima game I enjoyed was KOTOR. I'm also a big fan of "LUMINES" and the "Rainbow Six" series.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think that plot setup has been done practically everywhere.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Osiris wrote:I think that plot setup has been done practically everywhere.
You've got a very good point. But back on topic: What about you Osiris? What non-Kojima games did you love?
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Enter the Matrix was crap. I mean seriously, I can't tell the difference between that game and a steaming pile of fecal matter.

I guess, to keep this on topic, I love Resident Evil for reasons I don't quite understand (probably because it has zombies in it), Rez because I can't talk about that game without getting really fanboyish (kind of like how Ratperson gets about Family Guy but not as childish), Wonder Project J for Super Famicom because it's got an interesting concept and great graphics, Elder Scrolls Oblivion just because it represents a semi-happy time in my life, and Deus Ex because, for some reason, that game epitomizes the Winter months for me.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

OtakupunkX wrote:Enter the Matrix was crap. I mean seriously, I can't tell the difference between that game and a steaming pile of fecal matter.
But The Path of Neo was so much better!

So many games, so many games. I agree with most choices made in previous posts (the rest I haven't played). Here are a few of the games I've always been fond of, in no particular order:

Super Fantasy Zone (Mega Drive/Genesis)
Not the ultimate Japanese erotica, but a challenging and addictive shooter with a great soundtrack. I load it up solely for the sound test half the time.

X-Men (Mega Drive/Genesis)
When I brought this to school in 4th grade to show my friend, he was so excited he grabbed it and started shouting, "Oh my God! You got it, you got it!" as he waved the box around, and the teacher came and took it away from me. :shock: With the TV show and those Marvel trading cards (still got mine), X-Men was insanely popular back then. Fun, though challenging, game, with a Kojima-esque twist near the end (except this time you actually had to do it).

Nemesis (Game Boy)
Basically Gradius on a handheld. Another shooter with yet another great soundtrack.

Double Dragon (NES)
Superior to still enjoyable Game Boy version in every way. First encountered it (and its greasy controls) as an arcade machine at a local Pizza Hut.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)
Very well-crafted RPG. Some of the dungeons were just brilliant. I also love TOoT.

Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive/Genesis)
The best in the series. All three games were unlockables in the Japanese version of the most recent Sonic collection. The West got Vectorman instead to keep the E rating. Good techno-ish music by Yuzo Koshiro. I'll never forget the boss music.

Final Fight (Mega/Sega CD)
Originally played this on an Atari ST many many years ago. The sequels weren't as memorable as the first.

Half-Life (PC)
Groundbreaking title (good expanion packs, too). I've only played about half of the sequel, but it, too, is amazing (particularly the open-ended gameplay and physics).

Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)
One of the best graphic adventures out there. I only wish the sound wasn't such a bitch to get up and running.

Super Mario Kart (SNES)
I had to mention this. Hours upon hours spent in battle mode with friends and family, the formula never getting old.

Haunting Starring Polterguy (Mega Drive/Genesis)
Original and addictive spook 'em up. Too bad it's so short. The netherworld sub-levels kinda suck, too.

Sonic & Knuckles (Mega Drive/Genesis)
I had to mention this one apart from the rest of the series for its brilliant idea. I'm amazed no one spoiled the surprises through Game Genie before it came out.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (many)
Originally played it in the arcade, then PS, then later Saturn. Spent hours whooping everyone's ass in it at home. Alpha 3 was a disappointment for me. It kept getting delayed and delayed, so I chipped my PS just to play the import. Still don't know why it took so long to localize. Anyway, it just didn't have the same feel for me (why are most of those backgrounds so devoid of people?). Music was rubbish, too.

Vice City (PS2)
My favorite GTA for the setting and music.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
Have to mention this one because I played the import back in February of '99 thanks to this Japanese kid at school. He would burn the next disc every couple of days and pass it on to me (it was actually his mom who played RPGs at their house, he said). My chipping with SFA3 meant I had to bypass that damned lockout with a combination of Gameshark and disc swapping. I want to play it again but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it back then.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC)
The hype for this game was insane when it came out. When of the few games where it seemed every kid in school was talking about it (this happened with Sonic 2, Mario 64, TOoT and Soul Calibur, too).

Resident Evil series
Jumping Flash series
Doom series
Shenmue series
Sonic series
Final Fantasy series
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Another/Out of this World
Virtua Racing/Fighter
Ico
Rez
Stunt Race FX

I could go on and on...
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Man, that twist in X-men was really good. I still recall when I figured it out, I was so happy since a friend of mine lent me the game since he couldn't finish it because of that detail.

I also love the music in Streets of Rage, I was really happy when I got those soundtracks in cd. As a matter of fact I made some mixes in DTS audio of most of the tracks, they sound pretty good, specially to an untrained ear since they enphatize specific frequencies... and although I love them in stereo it was a fun thing to do.

Great choices there man, I've loved the ones I played from your list.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Jill of the Jungle for DOS. Great game! Played it like hell when I was about five years old. I still play through them every year or so. There are three games in the trilogy, and they've apparently been released as freeware, so here's a link to them so you guys can check 'em out: http://jesnetplus.com/~swillman/The%20J ... 20Disk.zip

Aside from that: Shenmue II (DC), Super Mario 64 (N64), Shadow of Rome (PS2), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS), Sonic CD (SCD), and Drill Dozer (GBA).

And the three Spy Fox games for PC. Sure, they're kids' adventure games, but they're really fun and really well-made.
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Osiris wrote: Sonic & Knuckles (Mega Drive/Genesis)
I had to mention this one apart from the rest of the series for its brilliant idea. I'm amazed no one spoiled the surprises through Game Genie before it came out.
I don't think the levels are actually built into the Sonic 3 cart, but I'm pretty sure people knew about the levels before Sonic and Knuckles was announced. Names of most of the levels can be seen on the (very difficult to get to) Sonic 3 level select. I think the extra time that the Sonic & Knuckles idea gave Sonic Team allowed completely new levels to be designed, so I'm actually quite thankful in the long run (Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my all-time favourites).

Oh, and I'd really recommend Street Fighter Alpha Anthology to you, as it's a collection of direct arcade ports for the PS2 (I think some menus have been redesigned, but that's it). You can also unlock modes to add characters from the console games, too.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I actually like Xenogears so much, I joined a project that's doing a full scanlation of the Perfect Works book (http://www.razael.com/). Hopefully it'll be done this year, before the 10th anniversary of the game next year, but it might not get finished until next year. It's just hard finding the time to translate for it. Once I get through the text-heavy first couple of sections, it shouldn't be so bad.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, I may as well put down my favourite games as well outside of Kojima related stuff:

Shenmue stands heads and shoulders above the rest really. This was my first game that changed my perception in so many ways. It was so human, so real. It still looks perfect to me, to this day. It's been number one on my list for all too long now. I just really wish the third in the series would come out, over at Shenmue Dojo we've been through so many disappointments regarding a third title, most of us veteran members there have given up hope and jsut talk to one another now in the general discussions forum. Regardless, I still have hope for the third game, but no expectations, if you get my saying. The plotline is not the strongest part of Shenmue anyway, ratperson; it's the feel, the atmosphere, the characters, the look, the music by Yuzo Koshiro and many others. All of that, so unique. Never seen any game better acquire a feel so distinct in my whole life. This, alongside MGS1 and Snatcher are the ONLY games I would give a full ten out of ten, from a biased POV.

Aside from that:

Streets Of Rage series (such a big fan)
Final Fight 1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade version/SNES/Genesis)
NiGHTS
Sonic & Knuckles
Blade Runner (PC)
The Last Express
Broken Sword series
Resident Evil series
Silent Hill series
Time Crisis series
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Super Mario 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (what a series, but this is, undoubtedly, its finest moment)
Psychonauts
Earthworm Jim 2

I could go on and on.