Maniac Mansion And Early Lucasgames

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Maniac Mansion And Early Lucasgames

Post by Snake Plissken »

Anyone remember this game as I do? And the other early lucasgames point and click adventures? :D

I was curious if anyone else here fondly remembers them in the early point and click genre, I just fired up the remake made by Lucasfan at the underdogs.org and I thought I'd share it with you, if not, go play this game you'll enjoy it if your a point and click fan like me :wink:
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I simply love the M;onkey Island series.... the fate of Atlantis game, oh... the good old times =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Awwww yeah, count me in on those. I love a good adventure game, point and click or otherwise. I loved Myst, the Zork series, King's/Space/Peasant's quest, Snatcher, and all the Lucasarts games. The cancellation of the new Full Throttle and Sam'n'Max games was a sad thing indeed.

Heh, I just picked up the GBA remake of Broken Sword the other day. Yay adventure games!
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

Ah, Maniac Mansion... the memories. That was a classic videogame. One of the first RPG's I ever played. Great... now I have to download it now that you reminded me of it. Freakin' Nurse Edna... :evil:
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

I hope everyone here's familiar with ScummVM?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I love the thing....
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
aie

Post by aie »

me too^^

I love The Dig, this game is great.
Also i love the Cthulhu Click Adventures, there awesome, espicially Prisoners of Ice.
You can find it at underdogs.
Gabriel Knight 1 Sins of Fathers is good too but hard to find :(
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

Warrior Bob wrote:I hope everyone here's familiar with ScummVM?

:D
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Cthulhu Click adventures? Hot dang, I gotta get me one of those. I'm rather fond of the Lovecraft mythos, you see.

To the Underdogs! *zoom*
aie

Post by aie »

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Thanks much! Now I just gotta get my old DOS machine working....

Ack! No! Must....do....homework.....resist....call...of....Cthulhu....

*gets eaten by tentacles*
originalcracker

Post by originalcracker »

How about Full Throttle? That was one of my favorites. And just plain text adventures; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe was awesome.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

originalcracker wrote:How about Full Throttle? That was one of my favorites. And just plain text adventures; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe was awesome.
OH YES!!! Music to my ears!!!
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

H.P. Lovecraft pwns j00 8)
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Nothing to do with any of the games mentioned, but if anyone wants to pick up a decent anime style adventure completely ripped off of Kojima's Policenauts, then you should pick up the PSX game Project: Horned Owl (known only as Horned Owl in Japan). It's mainly a light-gun shooter more than anything else, though interestingly enough, the animated curscenes the game offers were drawn by known other than Mamoru Oshii, the creative mastermind behind the Ghost in the Shell films. The game itself runs fairly cheap on eBay, so try and find it.
Snake Plissken
Major

Post by Snake Plissken »

ReasonWhyNot wrote:Nothing to do with any of the games mentioned, but if anyone wants to pick up a decent anime style adventure completely ripped off of Kojima's Policenauts, then you should pick up the PSX game Project: Horned Owl (known only as Horned Owl in Japan). It's mainly a light-gun shooter more than anything else, though interestingly enough, the animated curscenes the game offers were drawn by known other than Mamoru Oshii, the creative mastermind behind the Ghost in the Shell films. The game itself runs fairly cheap on eBay, so try and find it.
Oh boy that game ahahahahhhahah, I remember my cousin buying it, and saying how innovative it was to the gaming world. I held back my electric volgin styled fist and remembered "he's only a 12 year old" 8)
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

It's not that bad. Of course it's in nowhere near comparable to Policenauts, but it's cheap and it's available in the US, so that's better than nothing, don't ya think??
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

I don't care if it doesn't stand up to policenauts. A good game is still a good game, even if it's not the best game out there. I can stand to play more than one game, especially since I don't speak Japanese so Policenauts is out of the question for me.

Does anyone know what kind of light gun this game supports? Like, is it a guncon game, or is it one of the games that only takes Konami's light gun standard? I must say you have my attention :) Thanks in advance!
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

It's a GunCon game.
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

So I went out and bought this game, found it for four dollars at a local record store that sells games without any idea of their worth. I got Final Fantasy III (the US version of IV) for the SNES there for $10, too. Hahahahahahahhaa.

It's not a GunCon game actually, which makes sense, since the GunCon is a namco product, and is in fact compatible with Konami's light gun standard. Fortunately I happen to have such a gun lying around, so I was able to play it properly. It's a pretty fun gun game actually, full of lots of blasting and things that blow up, and manages to be difficult without resorting to throwing enemies at you that take dozens of hits to kill like so many other games do. Actually, most of the game reminded me of Elemental Gearbolt, which can only be a good thing for a fan of gun games.

However, the only similarity to Policenauts is that the main characters are part of a police force that pilots mechs, and that it's done in an anime style.

I still really liked it though =) Thanks for the recommendation!
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Just for the record:

The character designs in Project: Horned Owl were done by Masamune Shirow (who created the original GitS manga), NOT Mamoru Oshii.

And Horned Owl is hardly a Policenauts-ripoff at all. The whole "cops in mecha"-thing has been done long before Policenauts to begin with, since Patlabor at least (which Policenauts was partially based on, they even had the same mecha designer).
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Warrior Bob wrote:It's not a GunCon game actually, which makes sense, since the GunCon is a namco product, and is in fact compatible with Konami's light gun standard.
Didn't realize. I took light-gun to mean GunCon.
Johnny Undaunted wrote:Just for the record:

The character designs in Project: Horned Owl were done by Masamune Shirow (who created the original GitS manga), NOT Mamoru Oshii.
My mistake.
And Horned Owl is hardly a Policenauts-ripoff at all. The whole "cops in mecha"-thing has been done long before Policenauts to begin with, since Patlabor at least (which Policenauts was partially based on, they even had the same mecha designer).
I doubt its existence would have been without Policenauts. The concepts are more than a similarity.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

ReasonWhyNot wrote:Yeah, again, my mistake. I could have sworn I read somewhere that Mamoru Oshii was responsible for the anime cinemas, but I must have simply confused one name for another. As for it being a Policenauts ripoff, well, it sort of is. It's a game, rather than just an anime. Would it likely have been made without Policenauts as inspiration?? I don't think so.
Policenauts = A graphic adventure game that combines elements from mecha anime and buddy cop filcks (starring two main characters that are virtually lifted from one of the latter group).

Project: Horned Owl = Generic mid-90s shooter about two guys in mecha suits that battle agaisnt a terrorist group named after a heavy metal band.

Sorry, but I failed to see the resemblance.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Johnny Undaunted wrote:Policenauts = A graphic adventure game that combines elements from mecha anime and buddy cop filcks (starring two main characters that are virtually lifted from one of the latter group).

Project: Horned Owl = Generic mid-90s shooter about two guys in mecha suits that battle agaisnt a terrorist group named after a heavy metal band.

Sorry, but I failed to see the resemblance.
They're both anime light-gun adventures. They're both cop and mecha stories. And Horned Owl did follow up on Policenauts pretty quickly. I would say those are reasonably large similarities that one was conceived from the other.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

ReasonWhyNot wrote:
You yourself already said most of the resemblances, granted they aren't anything greatly intricate (not that they need to be). They're both anime shooter adventures (though Policenauts has mush more to it than just that, but even so, it's still a likeness). They have the whole cop and mecha things going on. And.......well, those are big similarities. It's not like two characters have the same name, so one must have borrowed that concept from the other. Horned Owl seems to have at least lifted a bit of its premise from Policenauts, if not all. All games do that. Though in case of Kojima's games, he sems to lift more from movies than games, which keeps his stuff fresh from a gameplay perspective. I don't see why you're being so argumentative about this. Then again, why am I??
Because you're calling one game a ripoff of another, when in reality they're two distinct games that only share a common theme that's already commonplace among Japanese games and anime to begin with. That's why. It's as idiotic as calling Resident Evil a Splatterhouse-ripoff, when the two games are nothing alike save for the horror theme.