MG movie confirmed

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Don't the comic and the DGN vary slightly in their presentation, though? Or is the game just straight cuts from the comic, with a video-like presentation?
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

Yeah, it's exactly the same comic, just with different presentation. You're also allowed to zoom up on certain items and characters and gain more information on them.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I see. By the way, is that new OPM worth getting or not?
Squallidus

Post by Squallidus »

87th wrote:In MetalGear 1+2 Snake was British/Japanese, but they made him American/Japanese for MGS. Couldn't tell you why, though.
Osiris wrote:So this will be the third telling of that story... Jeez.
Well-
MetalGear Solid
MetalGear Solid: The Twin Snakes
MetalGear Solid Graphic Novel
MetalGear Solid Movie
Big Shell Incident counts? ^^ It's more of an 'orchestrated recreation'.
Cyan Garamonde
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: SE
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence
Metal Gear Solid 4
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Post by Cyan Garamonde »

Squallidus wrote:
87th wrote:In MetalGear 1+2 Snake was British/Japanese, but they made him American/Japanese for MGS. Couldn't tell you why, though.
Well-
MetalGear Solid
MetalGear Solid Movie
I'm sure Kojima said that he wanted the movie to take place in Alaska. I think that MGS1 would translate better as a movie than MGS2, and perhaps Kojima thinks so too.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Cyan Garamonde wrote:
Squallidus wrote:
Well-
MetalGear Solid
MetalGear Solid Movie
I'm sure Kojima said that he wanted the movie to take place in Alaska. I think that MGS1 would translate better as a movie than MGS2, and perhaps Kojima thinks so too.
I'd still rather see movies of MG and MG2:SS. Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land deserve to be given full production treatment.
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
Squallidus

Post by Squallidus »

Alaska is by far the best place to have the movie. It's just under midway into the series, so it leaves a rich back story for the characters and the basis for what's occuring in Shadow Moses. MGS1 is also Kojima's favourite Metal Gear, and it has the best range of characters in it, and I'd say it would best translate to film too.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

So one of my (rather ambitious) long-term goals in life was to direct a non-sucky, ridiculously high-budget Metal Gear movie (based off MGS1, I feel that it would make the game-to-film transition well), even if it took forever to work my film career up to the point that I could do it.

I feel a tinge of disapointment every time I read this thread.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

It would need a good bit of new material as well, though, since the game is already pretty close to a film. Unless he's just targeting the mainstream who've never played the game before.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

OtakupunkX wrote:So one of my (rather ambitious) long-term goals in life was to direct a non-sucky, ridiculously high-budget Metal Gear movie (based off MGS1, I feel that it would make the game-to-film transition well), even if it took forever to work my film career up to the point that I could do it.
What kind of way is that to honor the game? You obviously love and respect Kojima's work, so why would you want to take it out of its originally designated context. The games are best left as games and nothing more, even if they are as near a cinematic presentation as any game out there. You can't possibly replicate that same effect on film, and why would you even want to? I'd be more inspired to create my own spy-thriller, rather than copy Kojima's work page for page. As far as I'm concerned, it would be no better than the mass amounts of remakes that are produced each year. It's not that I mean to criticize your ambitions, I merely question if your heart is in the right place.
Squallidus

Post by Squallidus »

Anyone ever watched the movie 'Runaway Train' (I know the name sounds cheesy, but it's a great movie)?

That movie is set in Alaska. It really conveys how cold, bleak and unforgiving the enviroment is there. Also the main character has a very Snake-esque emotional trouble, hard to explain without spoiling the movie... You should really watch it, it went up for some Oscars.
Dave
Kojima games owned: Snatcher Pilot Disk - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher CD-ROMantic - PCE (NTSC-J)
Snatcher - SS (NTSC-J)
Policenauts Pilot Disk - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - 3DO (NTSC-J)
Policenauts - PSX (NTSC-J) x2
Policenauts Limited Edition - SS (NTSC-J)
Zone of The Enders - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear - NES (NTSC)
Snake's Revenge - NES (NTSc)
Metal Gear Solid - GBC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid GH - PSX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions - PSX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC
Metal Gear Solid Integral - PC (Sealed)
Metal Gear Solid - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions - PSX (PAL)
Metal Gear Solid Integral The Best - PSX (NTSC-J)
Bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid - DC (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - XBOX (NTSC) sealed
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - PC
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition - PS2 (NTSC)
Metal Gear>>Solid Snake OST
Metal Gear Solid OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 OST
Metal Gear Solid 2 The Other Side OST
Xbox Live: Devin320

Post by Dave »

Missing wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:So one of my (rather ambitious) long-term goals in life was to direct a non-sucky, ridiculously high-budget Metal Gear movie (based off MGS1, I feel that it would make the game-to-film transition well), even if it took forever to work my film career up to the point that I could do it.
What kind of way is that to honor the game? You obviously love and respect Kojima's work, so why would you want to take it out of its originally designated context. The games are best left as games and nothing more, even if they are as near a cinematic presentation as any game out there. You can't possibly replicate that same effect on film, and why would you even want to? I'd be more inspired to create my own spy-thriller, rather than copy Kojima's work page for page. As far as I'm concerned, it would be no better than the mass amounts of remakes that are produced each year. It's not that I mean to criticize your ambitions, I merely question if your heart is in the right place.
Whoa, pump the brakes, Missing. You might feel that it is not right to make a Metal Gear film but people have the right to their own opinion. I highly doubt that OtakupunkX's heart is not in the right place, seeing as how he said he would work his way up to making the movie until he could do it well (big budget).
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Runaway Train is a great film. I agree that the filmmakers really captured the barrenness of Alaska. There's another very good film I'm thinking of that was also filmed in similar fashion in Alaska, but I can't remember it at the moment. It was made earlier than Runaway Train I believe.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Missing wrote:It's not that I mean to criticize your ambitions, I merely question if your heart is in the right place.
Trust me man, my heart is in the right place. I wouldn't want to do a Metal Gear movie if I thought it would end up half-assed. That's why I'm not trying to make it now and why I would've waited until I'm older, had more directorial experience, and CG effects looked less fake to make the thing.

I had all kinds of interesting "breaking the fourth wall" ideas for the movie too. I really want to see if they include similar things in the real MGS movie.

I just hope the whole thing doesn't end up like the Resident Evil movie, which I hate with a passion simply because it does not feel like Resident Evil one bit. If I had the money and manpower right now I'd make a new RE1 movie that perfectly captures the slow, atmospheric feel of the game.