Soap.

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Soap.

Post by OtakupunkX »

I watched Snakes on a Plane last night.

It was absolutely amazing and exceeded my expectations for the film. There was an actual plot (with character development!), the special effects were really good, the acting was spotty in places but it was still alright, and the pacing was a little off, but other than that I think it was the most enjoyable movie I've seen in awhile. Sam Jackson swears even more than I thought he would too.

I'm going to go see it again tonight and probably tomorrow night too.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

From the look of the trailer the snakes look a bit rubbish. Do you think puppet snakes on strings would have worked? I'm leaning towards 'absolutely'.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

The trailer made the movie look like crap because I guess New Line thought people would rather see a crappy movie instead of a genuinely good action flick. The snakes don't look that bad, and some scenes even use REAL LIVE SNAKES.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I liked the movie because it delivered on everything it promised--no more, and no less. There were snakes. On a plane.
ジョン. ♪♪
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

So what? Raiders of the Lost Ark had snakes in a pit, Under Siege had Steven Segal on a boat and a hooker in a cake. And Gary Busey in drag. I wouldn't go to see a movie just because it had snakes on a plane, there have been loads of action movies with a lot more than that.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Just saw it, and I loved it. Cult classic. I think the point is the fact that you're stuck in a small area for several hours with (almost) no counter-measures.

I wonder if anyone would ever try a real-life copycat...
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Osiris wrote:Just saw it, and I loved it. Cult classic. I think the point is the fact that you're stuck in a small area for several hours with (almost) no counter-measures.

I wonder if anyone would ever try a real-life copycat...
It's why I always travel with a stun gun and a bag of anti-venom. I'm sick and tired of being scared of motherfuckin` snakes on my motherfuckin` planes. (There, I said it)
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

Honestly, the flick looks like a joke.

A big-budget, Hollywood joke.
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

I don't think I'll bother, I could do without the irony trip to be perfectly honest. I'd consider renting it and watching it with a friend, but I dislike people, generally speaking, and sharing a huge mutual sensation of irony with so many people I don't like would be genuinely nauseating.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Junker_05 wrote:Honestly, the flick looks like a joke.

A big-budget, Hollywood joke.
The punchline is that the movie's actually good. It's so much better than all of those Hollywood action flicks that take themselves seriously, although that's not to say that Snakes on a Plane is a constant laughfest.

I think it's going to languish in obscurity just because of its name, which is a real shame.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well, hardly. It's ridiculously popular, and I would think they'll milk it for a while. It's probably 'quite good' at best, though, isn't it?
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

I might actually go see it, then...
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
Tao

Post by Tao »

OtakupunkX wrote:I think it's going to languish in obscurity just because of its name, which is a real shame.
Oh please. It would be half the film it is now if they had called it Pacific Air 121.
ジョン. ♪♪
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Compared to everything else that's come out of Hollywood recently, Snakes on a Plane feels genuinely refreshing. Not because it's original or becuase it exceeds other mindless action/horror/disaster films of its type, but because it's completely honest in what it wants to be and doesn't try to go off the deep-end trying to be anything more than that. I'd much rather see more films like this as oposed to more remakes of '70s cult classics. (Let's hope it ends with The Wicker Man.)
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Snakes isn't a good film. And it isn't really bad enough to warrant any of the hoo-hah it has received. I mean, I laughed in places and jumped in places but overall it's just not a very good film. I don't really think they meant to make it badly, there's nothing tongue-in-cheek about the shabby dialogue or horribly predictable death sequences. It all rolls along at a nice pace until the end, when, after the credits roll you realise you didn't even find out what happened to Eddie Kim. I wanted to like it for how bad it would be, but it just ended up being not very much good.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Snakes isn't a good film. And it isn't really bad enough to warrant any of the hoo-hah it has received. I mean, I laughed in places and jumped in places but overall it's just not a very good film. I don't really think they meant to make it badly, there's nothing tongue-in-cheek about the shabby dialogue or horribly predictable death sequences. It all rolls along at a nice pace until the end, when, after the credits roll you realise you didn't even find out what happened to Eddie Kim. I wanted to like it for how bad it would be, but it just ended up being not very much good.
AHAHAH actually it was meant to be a pure piece of crap. Originally I read it was supposed to be a kid's film and they almost changed the title as well, but Sammy wanted all the boots and laces hahaah. It was sort of a return of cult cinema, but not complete, rather deliberate.

P.S. Eddie Kim died of herpes, by the hands of Danny Trejo.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Danny Trejo's a right bastard in every film he's in isn't he?

Oh, except Heat. They think he's a bastard for a while, if that counts.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Rick Deckard wrote:Danny Trejo's a right bastard in every film he's in isn't he?

Oh, except Heat. They think he's a bastard for a while, if that counts.
And this being, Trejo has been in every single movie made. He's like Poor man's Edward James Olmos, but with more man and sex appeal in his face "crinkles."