Music arrangements are down!

Comments, typos, feedback and suggestions are welcome here. Please READ THE RULES. They are few, I promise.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Music arrangements are down!

Post by 8bitsonic »

The MP3's linked from here: http://junkerhq.net/SMA/ no longer work. I've tried to download them several ways, and it looks like a broken link to me. What happened?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Nothing happened. Most probably something in your machine changed, with the result of not sending the referer.

There are some lines in red that advise of this situation on that page:

If you have trouble downloading the music, your browser is not sending the correct referrer. Please correct the problem and try again. For more information you can read this page. If that doesn't work for you either, visit this topic at the forums for a direct download, you can also leave feedback there ^^
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Alright, what is the deal with that page? It's so weird! Can't you redesign it so it's not a headache to download something from there?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Sorry I don't understand what you mean, What is weird?

You mention "redesign", do you mean the design and layout is a problem?
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

I don't know of other pages on the internet where it's so hard to download files- having to check referrers and things. It doesn't work at all with me...trying to save the target file or just opening it in my browser. Couldn't you make this page less difficult to use?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

The page is not difficult to use, and it ibs not the page itself. Maybe explaining to you the cause of the problem will help you understand it. Besides, you probably didn't bother on reading at all neithe rthe descriptions on that page or the solutions. There was a link to a topic in this boards without such restrictions.

I don't see what is "difficult to use". But maybe it is that you don't know what setting to change. maybe a forum with instructions would be useful, or you could tell me what browser are you using, that might be the problem as well in your case. I.E., opera, Mozilla, Netscape and Links all work fine with that page. Even my cellphone browser does.

you also mention that they "no longer work" implying that you've had them working in the past. That particular page has not been changed in more than a year, so the changes were on your side.

From wikipedia:
Inline linking, also known as hotlinking or leeching, is the placing of a linked object, often an image, from one site in a web page belonging to a second site. The second site is said to have an inline link to the one where the object is located. It is used for such activities as linking images from personal home page storage into the online diary of the person controlling the personal home page.

There is no difference to a Web browser between a HTML reference to an image on the same site, and one on a different site. Both links would be written with the same HTML code. The ability to display content from one site within another was part of the original design of the Web's hypertext medium. The blurring of boundaries between sites, however, can lead also to other problems when it violates users' preconceived notions, as in the case of cross site scripting.

This has sometimes been controversial because it is possible that the site where the object is stored and from which it is retrieved will not like the new placement or will consider it to be bandwidth theft. This term refers to the unauthorized use of someone else's bandwidth. Inline linking to an image stored on another site increases the bandwidth use of that site, even though their site is not being viewed in its intended form. Since bandwidth is a commodity, unauthorized use can increase the maintenance costs of the website hosting the image, hence the term bandwidth theft.

Some other forms of hotlinking also include video files, music (or mp3) files, animations (such as flash), and just about every other form of media.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]