God damm it!

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.

PS3 is delayed to March 2007 in Europe, while America & Japan get´s it in November. Your opinion?

I knew from the anouncement of the PS3 date, that Sony chould´ent keep thier promise
17%
At least we´ll get a bug free PS3
25%
Sony dosen´t care about Europe.....
8%
and neither do i....
50%

Total votes: 12

8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Gaff wrote:You know, I wonder if in the long run, Nintendo will go the way of Sega and focus mainly on software rather than an actual console.
Nintendo (more specifically, Reggie, I think) has said that the day they get out of the hardware business is the day they get out of the software business. So, best not to count on it.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Gaff wrote:You know, I wonder if in the long run, Nintendo will go the way of Sega and focus mainly on software rather than an actual console.
Nintendo has said that they wil focus on how fun the games are instead of focusing on graphics
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Snake700 wrote:
Nintendo has said that they wil focus on how fun the games are instead of focusing on graphics
Which, unfortunately, will cause death in the marketplace.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

i don't share your opinions on Nintendo. In the case of ports, it was usually the PS2 version which was more limited (longer loading, no 16:9 and worse graphics, in some cases not even Prologi II audio). But The GC had some great games, more than the Xbox as exclusives. The Xbox had the best multiplatform versions though, that is for sure but its only advantage at all. The PS2 has the best library.

In this new generation, I believe that each has a specifich niche. Nintendo is low end technically, but it is cheap and game focused.. not to mention the innovative control that might be very important if the companies don't try to use it at any opportubnity. Just look at the DS and how well it did against the PSP.

Microsoft has some terrain advanced, it is only lacking games which wil probably come out. Their focus is moderated, but they are clearly targeting a multipurpose home entertainment center. They don't care about the games, they care about you having thei HW at your home and using it as general machine. It is about not loosing that marketpace to Sony. Media control, communications control. You jsut nee dto look at their numbers. They are also technically in the middle, not giving the huge steps that Sonty is giving towards HD (neitehr in media like HD-DVD or resolution).

And well, Sony is at the other extreme. the most powerful machine, blue ray and 1080p. They are betting their future of media standard control. They want blue ray and cell to become de facto standards, and give that needed push to both technologies so tehy can become mainstream and their other areas can grow.

Of course all of them will try to give us the best games they can build or buy.. and all will have great games. But I hardly see any of them disapearing this time. Neither has it easy, they are all in compomised positions. So it is going to be a fun battle.

I must say that I was pro Sega, and not Nintendo back in the 8 and 16 bit wars... But I believe that Nintendo represents the old school here in more than one aspect, not just by the time it has been there, but by the position it has taken to create games per se as their main target.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snake700 wrote:It´s a lie. I have a couple of copy PS1 games.
Yeah, I know it isn't true. :razz:
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

HD and Blu-Ray.

It's VHS and Betamax all over again!
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Gaff wrote:HD and Blu-Ray.

It's VHS and Betamax all over again!
Hopefully not- sooner or later, we're going to get dual-format players, at which point I will buy one and switch to HDTV.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Osiris wrote:
Snake700 wrote:It´s a lie. I have a couple of copy PS1 games.
Yeah, I know it isn't true. :razz:
No it´s true. I have Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, and many other games on copy (i do own the original versions now so they don´t have something against me!)
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Snatcher wrote:Microsoft has some terrain advanced, it is only lacking games which wil probably come out. .
Like RPG´s. Unlike Morrowind and Shenmue 2 (ain´t sure it´s a RPG, but whatever!) there ain´t a single RPG on Xbox. It´s the reason the Xbox haven´t done well in Japan
What?

from Pulp Fiction
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snake700 wrote: there ain´t a single RPG on Xbox. It´s the reason the Xbox haven´t done well in Japan

Not true. The Xbox has KOTOR KOTOR 2, Fable and Jade Empire to name a few.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

ratperson665 wrote:
Snake700 wrote: there ain´t a single RPG on Xbox. It´s the reason the Xbox haven´t done well in Japan

Well Japan is more interested in original crafted RPG's. XBOX did fail big time in Japan because it's prime capita gaming majority is made up of first person shooters and sports games (which Japan has no real major interest in compared to North American Markets).
hybridtheory

Post by hybridtheory »

Snake Plissken wrote: Well Japan is more interested in original crafted RPG's. XBOX did fail big time in Japan because it's prime capita gaming majority is made up of first person shooters and sports games (which Japan has no real major interest in compared to North American Markets).
Which is pretty much I seldom play my 360 for a bit. Things should heat up..but not in that kind of way. Har Har Har
I met the hideo kojima !!!111
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

ratperson665 wrote:

Forgot those games. Otherwise i´m sticking to what i last said
What?

from Pulp Fiction
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

There's no way Europe will be getting a bug-free PS3. Perhaps there'll be fewer bugs than the earlier releases in Japan and North America, but I don't expect Sony to have all the bugs worked out until the console is nearly obsolete. It is Sony after all. I personally wouldn't take those chances with a $600 console, unless it came with a lifetime guarantee (ha!). I'm getting a Wii, just because I know Nintendo actually manufactures their products with care.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I have to say, I've never had a problem with a Sony console. I always unplug my consoles when I'm not using them. Maybe that extra heat has something to do with it.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

The only problems I've had with Sony is disc read errors.

I'd get them all the time on my old PS2 when I tried to run Gran Turismo 4.
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Did you leave yours plugged in or on standby when you weren't using it?
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Osiris wrote:Did you leave yours plugged in or on standby when you weren't using it?
Yeah, always on standby. Why?

-- Kahlil Gibran
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Missing wrote:Nintendo actually manufactures their products with care.
Is that so?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Gaff wrote:
Osiris wrote:Did you leave yours plugged in or on standby when you weren't using it?
I suspect that might be causing many peoples' problems (the first PS1's disc skipping was caused by not unplugging it after use). Try switching consoles off in future and unplugging them, especially for anyone planning on buying a PS3.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Damn, that's pretty ridiculous on Sony's part if you ask me. Why even incorporate a standby mode if all it does in the long run is knacker up your disc reading capabilities?

-- Kahlil Gibran
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I don't know why, either, but I recommend people do it. I think it's a pretty useless feature anyway. It only takes a couple more seconds to plug it in, turn it on at the back, and open the tray than it does to just open the tray, and you might be saving yourself more trouble in the long run. It's not like a PC where you can leave it running forever and never have a problem, unfortunately.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Osiris wrote:
Gaff wrote:
I suspect that might be causing many peoples' problems (the first PS1's disc skipping was caused by not unplugging it after use). Try switching consoles off in future and unplugging them, especially for anyone planning on buying a PS3.
I always have my PS2 on standby and i never had a problem with it
What?

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I know other people just like you. Who knows, there might be differences between all the various versions of the console? My point is, the safest thing to do is to always unplug it when you're not using it.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

Osiris wrote:I know other people just like you. Who knows, there might be differences between all the various versions of the console? My point is, the safest thing to do is to always unplug it when you're not using it.
Why?
What?

from Pulp Fiction