Paradox of Gaming

A forum to talk about stuff that doesn't fit in other categories, such as general Kojima games discussion, other games, etc.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Paradox of Gaming

Post by Artemio »

Anyone else in the same position? (And I mean, to the right of that optimal age)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

That's a good observation. I guess college is a good time for gaming, if you're working and can afford to buy stuff. Right now I have the time but no money (left).
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

My ability to buy games and my time to play them are at equal level, which is next to nil. I think if I had more money to afford new games, I'd make more of an effort to find time to play them. But as it is, I'm tired of the ones I have (except MGS1), and I rarely buy anything anymore except for the newest releases I'm most anticipating. And yet even those I don't get around to playing right away. Right now I want to play Okami, but I probably won't even get around to buying the game until it drops to about twenty dollars.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Well, call me strange but new games aren't really appealing to me anymore. They all seem so alike, I can't explain it. That's why I'm going to focus on a collection of rare and hard-to-find stuff, like premium packs and whatnot.
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I know exactly how you feel. I've been spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars the last few weeks just to run PC-98 Policenauts. I could easily have bought a PS3 and been halfway to an HD TV with the money I've spent, but I couldn't care less about PS3 right now.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Just to point out a clear, shining example of your typical generic modern video game:

Just Cause

I utterly despise that game.
"Yesterday, we obeyed kings and bent our necks to emperors. But today, we kneel only to truth."

-- Kahlil Gibran
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Gaff wrote:Just to point out a clear, shining example of your typical generic modern video game:

Just Cause

Well.. you selected the worst example for this week =) But I know what you mean. I rarely play new games.. but last year shadow of the colossus and guitar hero had me in. This year, Phoenix Wright and Okami are incredible good additions.

But I agree.. I end up buying more old stuff than new stuff, but even though I don't care much about having the latest, I end up buying the new consoles anyway... I am not planing on getting a PS3 on release date, but a Wii is almost a sure buy.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

There is a game that does interest me - Mass Effect.

Basically, you're the commander of your own ship and you can explore the galaxy. There's many different star systems you can visit, each with planets to land on and investigate. Also, there's a rather interesting third-person action part of the game, which involves you leading and directing your officers into battle, kind of like Freedom Fighters in a way.

Definitely a game I'm looking forward to and one I recommend you fellas check out.

-- Kahlil Gibran
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Sounds like that old classic Elite.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Osiris wrote:Sounds like that old classic Elite.
Aye, I own Frontier: Elite II. Delightful relic of a game.

-- Kahlil Gibran
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

I usually prefer old games to new ones myself. Even the modern games made by Kojima himself (MGS2&3) don't strike me as all that great. I'm a huge fan of his work from MG1 up to MGS1 but I think MGS2 was when he jumped the shark. One old game I highly recommend to everybody is Wing Commander 3. It’s a great flight sim with a great plot and great characters. It’s a great game
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Hahaha, Wing Commander III. That game's hilarious for the wrong reasons.

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

Man, I can't believe Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell both agreed to be part of the game.

-- Kahlil Gibran
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Gaff wrote:Hahaha, Wing Commander III. That game's hilarious for the wrong reasons.

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

"He's got a point."

"What's he hiding?"

Man, I can't believe Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell both agreed to be part of the game.
In my opinion it's a very emotional experience with stunning gameplay, two very powerful endings and its characters are right up there with those of Snatcher.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Gaff wrote:
Osiris wrote:Sounds like that old classic Elite.
Aye, I own Frontier: Elite II. Delightful relic of a game.
Relic? Still holds up mate. Most absorbing game I ever played. In fact, "game" is almost an offense to its honour.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Well, like a fine wine - games get better with age.

-- Kahlil Gibran
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

God I want to play Frontier now... No, I mustn't, nothing would get done around here.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Just out of curiousity, how rare is it to find a mint condition copy of Frontier Elite II?

-- Kahlil Gibran
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Frontier: Elite II

There's one. Rarity is simply another way of saying "how much will it cost to get one" these days... And there's your answer.
Gaff

Post by Gaff »

Ahh, thank you. There's a rather interesting story behind how I got my copy. Basically I was speaking to my mathematics teacher about video games, and when I told him about Freelancer, he mentioned an "old classic" he played years ago called Frontier Elite II.

So we pretty much talked about the game for a bit longer and the next day he brought the whole box set in, in mint condition and everything. Even found a couple of plastic pie chart scales along with a reciept in the box too. I asked him when he wanted it to be returned and to my delight he said I could keep it.

Haven't played too far into the game but from what I have played (and read), it's certainly an immersive experience. Not sure what you're gonna say in response to this, but I'd definitely say it's an underrated precursor to Freelancer.

-- Kahlil Gibran
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

I've heard of Freelancer, it came up in conversation about Frontier. I've never played it, but I'm sure it can't be bad if it's anything like Frontier. I had the Amiga version of Frontier first, had that all set up perfectly, keyboard, SNES style joypad for dogfights, and an Imperial Cruiser. Used to love doing the assasinations. Don't make me fire it up... Please.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Sorry for bringing it up. :P
Jackafur

Post by Jackafur »

I dunno.. i think the best time for me was when i was in middle school.. i had plenty of free time but not so much money... now I'm a month a way from bein 21... I have a decent job and I make decent money, but i have no time.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Gaff wrote:Just to point out a clear, shining example of your typical generic modern video game:

Just Cause

I like that game.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

I'm kind of to the left of the scale at the minute. Although I have enough cash to spend on games and consoles, I don't play games anywhere near as much as I once did. However, I do have enough time to play games, I just find that I have a complete lack of energy to be bothered with games for the most.
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Just Cause

Have you played Just Cause yet? It's not really a typical generic modern videogame, it's just a game that was a victim of bad marketing. Just Cause isn't a perfect game, and it definetly is not an artistic marvel one can converse about in a way akin to the infamous Star Wars scene in the film Clerks, but it does some new and interesting things with the open-world concept.

A typical generic modern videogame would be the Scarface game, Saint's Row, anything by EA that wasn't worked on by Will Wright, most JRPGs, or those poker sims that get cranked out all the time now (I don't see why anyone would pay $60 for a poker videogame when they could just go to any store and buy a deck of cards for under $5).