Possible character relationship? *Spoilers*

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
shoryuken_justice

Possible character relationship? *Spoilers*

Post by shoryuken_justice »

I posted this in the regular MGS forum as well so as to get the attention of those not currently playing MGS3.
Anyway, I thought I heard that in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Gray Fox is said to be half-Vietnamese, which could open up doors to the theory that Eva is Gray Fox's mother (since she dissapeared in Hanoi). The fact that this occurs a little before Les Enfans Terribles would also be consistent with Fox being a little older than Snake.

Some dude on Imdb.com said I was wrong because we never learned of Fox's origin and I was confusing it with Naomi, whom he claimed was half-Vietnamese. But wasn't she part-Japanese, not Vietnamese? I could've sworn I've read that Fox was half-Vietnamese somewhere...
Alright stop.

Hammer Time!
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Re: Possible character relationship? *Spoilers*

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

shoryuken_justice wrote:I posted this in the regular MGS forum as well so as to get the attention of those not currently playing MGS3.
Anyway, I thought I heard that in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Gray Fox is said to be half-Vietnamese, which could open up doors to the theory that Eva is Gray Fox's mother (since she dissapeared in Hanoi). The fact that this occurs a little before Les Enfans Terribles would also be consistent with Fox being a little older than Snake.

Some dude on Imdb.com said I was wrong because we never learned of Fox's origin and I was confusing it with Naomi, whom he claimed was half-Vietnamese. But wasn't she part-Japanese, not Vietnamese? I could've sworn I've read that Fox was half-Vietnamese somewhere...
I don't know why you started two threads dedicated to essentially the same thing, but I already answered the first question in the other thread.

To be honest, it never really occured to me that possibility, although Fox seems to be the right enough age to be her child (Fox himself is only a few years older than Snake). This is actually one of the least-retarded fan theories regarding MGS I've seen in awhile and could lead to some potential possibilities if it's true.

BTW, Naomi is from Rhodesia, not Vietnam. Her claim to be part-Japanese turns out to be false IIRC.
shoryuken_justice

Re

Thanks. I posted twice because there might be someone roaming the regular MG board who hasn't beaten MGS3 and therefore wouldn't have seen it in this board, whereas there might also be someone on this board who hasn't checked the old board in a while but might know a thing or two about MG 2.

I guess it's a little overboard, but I'm just covering my bases. :)
Alright stop.

Hammer Time!
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Naomi shares a similar relationship to EVA in the fact that she fools people into thinking she's someone she's not (regarding ethnicities and occupations for the most part). It leaves question if Naomi could possibly be working for the <B>Patriots</B>/Philosophers.....
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

This is just off the top of my head, but isn't Naomi the only one who is completely on her own in MGS? I mean, she actually really is a rogue element, as she changed the time when Snake would die to a wildcard value, whereas it should have been (presumably) right after the end of the Shadow Moses Incident. To be honest, the game becomes boring if everyone is suspected of working for them somehow. Her motivation was always to kill Snake, and if we start asking "well, was she manipulated into hating him so she would try to kill him" we may as well not play the game, as everyone could be said to be under the <B>Patriots</B>'s control somehow.

And I'm not having a go at you, just the whole culture of thinking too much about it all.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:This is just off the top of my head, but isn't Naomi the only one who is completely on her own in MGS? I mean, she actually really is a rogue element, as she changed the time when Snake would die to a wildcard value, whereas it should have been (presumably) right after the end of the Shadow Moses Incident. To be honest, the game becomes boring if everyone is suspected of working for them somehow. Her motivation was always to kill Snake, and if we start asking "well, was she manipulated into hating him so she would try to kill him" we may as well not play the game, as everyone could be said to be under the <B>la li lu le lo</B>'s control somehow.

And I'm not having a go at you, just the whole culture of thinking too much about it all.
Having a go at who?? Me?? I don't mind if you want to refute me. I respect others' opinions. Just a question though. Where is it told that Naomi made Snake a wildcard in the FoxDie program?? Was that in Nastasha's book or is that just an assumption?? I didn't understand where everyone came up with that idea. In my opinion, I don't understand why Naomi would have even changed Snake's fate of FoxDie in the first place. If she had waited two years to kill him, why would she change her mind just like that?? And by the time she had given him the injection, she had only really met him for about two minutes (in the Briefing option in MGS1). I don't know.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Some people get really upset when people refute them. I wouldn't normally qualify myself, but you know how it can be.

As for the 'wildcard' thing, and the reason she chooses that:

"The information showed that Snake was indeed one of the targets for the deadly retrovirus, but the incubation period had been changed to a wildcard value. Even Naomi herself did not know when the virus would awaken within Snake. It must have been the best revenge she could think of, condemning him to live in this fearful limbo"

And it is indeed from Nastasha's book.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:As for the 'wildcard' thing, and the reason she chooses that:

"The information showed that Snake was indeed one of the targets for the deadly retrovirus, but the incubation period had been changed to a wildcard value. Even Naomi herself did not know when the virus would awaken within Snake. It must have been the best revenge she could think of, condemning him to live in this fearful limbo"

And it is indeed from Nastasha's book.
Ahh, makes sense. Thanks for telling me.
shoryuken_justice

Heh...

Wouldn't it be funny if MGS4/MG3 had Snake drop dead like 20 minutes in, and Raiden has to take over, and all the fanboys start complaining again?

Poor Raiden... he wasn't the wuss everyone made him out to be. He could do backflips over railings, for Christ's sake.
Alright stop.

Hammer Time!