Favorite version of Snatcher?

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

8bitsonic wrote:Don't act all elitist just because you can understand the Japanese voice acting.
Man, if I were to act "all elitist" (whatever that means), I'd tell you that the Sega CD translation as a whole is utter crap compared to the original.

Thankfully I'm not the elitist asshole you think I am, and as a matter of fact, despite some shortcomings and a couple of mistakes, I strongly believe Jeremy Blaustein did an excellent translation of the script. It's just that I personally find the voice over to be very unprofessional; but then again, most English dubs of the time definitely did sound very amateurish. You're entitled to your opinion, as I'm free to express mine in an objective manner.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

I'd like to see a translation of the PC Engine version, that would totally rock (especially since the MSX version got its own translation). Plus, I think the PC Engine version is the best overall as well. :grin:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Kaminari wrote:Thankfully I'm not the elitist asshole you think I am, and as a matter of fact, despite some shortcomings and a couple of mistakes, I strongly believe Jeremy Blaustein did an excellent translation of the script.
This is a common misconception. It was actually a guy called Scott T. Hards who did the translation. You could think of Blaustein as the game's localization supervisor (though part of this job included reviewing and editing Hard's translation).
Last edited by Marc on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I don't see how anyone can complain about Snatcher's voice acting -- compare it to about ANY anime and ANY game voice work in the '90s (sup Res Evil). You can tell KoA really wanted Snatcher to be special. It still is putting new games to shame.

I mean, of course I wish I could understand the PCE ver, but hey :cool:
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:I'd like to see a translation of the PC Engine version, that would totally rock (especially since the MSX version got its own translation). Plus, I think the PC Engine version is the best overall as well. :grin:
That'd be great, I agree. It's my fav version too.
Ghaleon wrote:I don't see how anyone can complain about Snatcher's voice acting -- compare it to about ANY anime and ANY game voice work in the '90s (sup Res Evil). You can tell KoA really wanted Snatcher to be special. It still is putting new games to shame.

I mean, of course I wish I could understand the PCE ver, but hey :cool:
Yeah, it definitely is superior to its contemporaries.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I think Snatcher's English voice acting is pretty good, except for Katrine/a (whatever the point of the name change was...)

The only version I own is the one for the Sega Saturn, though it isn't really better than the PC-Engine Super CD version (some music is even supposed to be worse).

Maybe if I ever find an affordable version of the PC Engine Snatcher I'll get this, too.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Please do, its the version I see as the director's cut version of the game, except the director decided to make it uncut, if you get what I mean. :lol:
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

And it has some of the best music tracks, like eternal promise or beyond sorrows although I don't know if they were in the Sega Saturn version or not but they were definitly missing in the Sega CD version.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

The Sega Saturn was a completely new soundtrack I think (some were okay but most were awful), wasn't it?
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

I think all tracks were redone (the only other version I ever played was the Mega CD one many years ago, so I can't compare them too well)

The songs when you meet Katrina after her father died or when you investigate Freddy's home are similar, though I think at least the first was a good deal better for the Mega CD version. Some music like the one in the Junker HQ are all different, and not very good.

I wanted to replay Snatcher anyway so I think I'll get the PC Engine one :grin: Though I think those get pretty expensive.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Henry Spencer wrote:The Sega Saturn was a completely new soundtrack I think (some were okay but most were awful), wasn't it?
As far as I know some tracks were just remixes while most of them were completly redone. But I haven't played the Sega Saturn or PSX version so far, so I really can't tell.

But I'm planning to get my hands on the PSX version eventually, I heard all those bad things about this versions, but I want to play them myself and see for myself, what's so bad about them.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Charlie Johnson wrote:And it has some of the best music tracks, like eternal promise or beyond sorrows although I don't know if they were in the Sega Saturn version or not but they were definitly missing in the Sega CD version.
I could have sworn those are in the SEGA CD ver but remixed/red book audio during dialog.
BIG BOSS
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Ghaleon wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote:And it has some of the best music tracks, like eternal promise or beyond sorrows although I don't know if they were in the Sega Saturn version or not but they were definitly missing in the Sega CD version.
I could have sworn those are in the SEGA CD ver but remixed/red book audio during dialog.
I've uploaded some videos of the PCE version a little while ago.

Warning, spoiler.

The music during the Harry scene is definitly completly different in the Sega CD version.

The same goes for the music at the end of Act 2, in the hallway.

Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Nice! Thanks Charlie. The music in the final revelation at the end is definitely different (the Randam and Elijah confrontation scene), and is my favourite piece of music from the series, it's such an intense tune.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Cool you loaded that, never heard the PC-E acting before. Metal Gear??? ugghgh

I knew they were different, I just remember thinking the S-CD ver was a remix or something. Now I'm not sure, haha. It seems the S-CD tracks are "insprired by ..."
BIG BOSS
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hm, now I wonder what the music in the Saturn version at that point is? I almost think it was the same. Maybe the better music in the HQ etc. was just made for the Mega CD version?

Heh, from the above comment I thought the PC-Engine version had different voice acting than the Saturn version for a moment :smile:
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

So good to see my old topic still thriving.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

I was watching a bunch of those pce clips...and to tell you the truth...I really dont like how it sounds, at least compared to the sega cd version. Pleasure of tension (my fav track) sounds crappy compared to the SCD version as do most tracks (my opinion). I also dont think Yusaku's voice fit gillians body and style at all, but Jeff Lupetin just seemed to fit perfect...could not, and would not ask for anything else.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I used to not like the Japanese voice acting at all, but after I learned Japanese my feelings changed. I know like both versions' voices a lot, but prefer the Japanese (especially since Kojima was there to give stage directions).
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Modnar wrote:I was watching a bunch of those pce clips...and to tell you the truth...I really dont like how it sounds, at least compared to the sega cd version. Pleasure of tension (my fav track) sounds crappy compared to the SCD version as do most tracks (my opinion). I also dont think Yusaku's voice fit gillians body and style at all, but Jeff Lupetin just seemed to fit perfect...could not, and would not ask for anything else.
If it's what you are used to, then of course, but I played the PC Engine merely months after playing the Sega CD version of the game and wow, I though it was even better. Also, Elijah's, Benson's and Randam's voice actors are all superior in this version, definitely. Oh also, check out the end of the game where Elijah and Randam have their argument, the track there is definitely much better in that scene I think capturing all of the tension and emotion perfectly.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

And the english Katrina is totally awful :P

While the english Gilian is among the best dubjobs I've ever heard, I still prefer the japanese voice slightly. The sytle of speech the characters use in Japanese just cannot be brought over - Gilian has a very masculine style of speech in Japanese while he comes over a bit like a softie in English, I thought. Harry also has a totally adorable grandpa-style way of speaking.

Some parts however I think are better in English.

For example the "oh yeah?! well, I didn't exactly see you close your eyes, either" - "that is because my optical sensors are not equipped with retractable shutters" in a totally manner-of-factly way.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Re. a PCE Snatcher translation, would you guys prefer to have the Sega CD text transplanted into it, or a "reimagination" from the ground up? Keep in mind a lot of it would be the same, as there's a limited number of ways you can translate any given sentence, and Snatcher already has a great translation.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Woah how unexpected!

Well, I'm easy about it all, whatever everyone else would like really, any form of translation would be fantastic, and since I am not too picky about things being 100% accurate, but I would be very pleased to have the SEGA CD text since it would be easier for you guys.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

No, this is just my own curiosity; we wouldn't even think of actually starting something like this while a big project like Policenauts remains open.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

I would approach it as "do no harm" for rule 1: The project would be easier on the translators I'd imagine, and the the SCD text is already pretty good.

I'd only worrying about changing stuff that I thought was A) Worded poorly, or B) Translated improperly.

But I'm a copy editor, I was trained not to mess too much w/ a writer's work :P
BIG BOSS