Patch is up (v1.01 incoming)

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

Charlie Johnson wrote:By the way, is it also possible to play the patched Policenauts ISO on a PS2 with hard drive and HD loader?
Negative. HD loader only loads PS2 games (I know, it sucks :()
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

This person who works in the voice recording business has contacted us saying he would be interested in helping us with an English dub if we ever get around to doing one, though the task would be a complex one.

The flood of emails we've received since the announcement has been overwhelming. It really makes us realize yet again how many people, from so many different walks of life, are interested in playing this game in English. We've even had interest in doing stories on the translation in a couple of magazines.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

You guys are famous :grin:

But even though id rather play the original japanese voiced policenauts over a dubbed version anyday...it would still be cool to try it in complete english.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Yeah, I'd hope for an English-dubbed version someday, because I'm a scrub like that.

Glad you guys are getting the much-deserved attention. At the least, you'd think many English-speaking Metal Gear fans would love to play this finally, after they hear about it. Getting the word out is a great thing.

I bought Lethal Wepaon 1-3 to tide me over for this, hahahaha. I hope Ed Brown is scripted to say at least once "I'm getting too old for this shit."
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Ghaleon wrote:I bought Lethal Wepaon 1-3 to tide me over for this, hahahaha. I hope Ed Brown is scripted to say at least once "I'm getting too old for this shit."
I don't believe that exact line is in there, but there is a lot of similar banter between Jonathan and Ed throughout the game.

Off the top of my head, there's also a bit about cutting a blue or red wire on a bomb, and a conversation about "Is it 1, 2, 3 then do it, or 1, 2, then do it on 3?" (when they're trying to figure out the timing for looking up a woman's skirt as she uncrosses her legs)

We'd only go ahead with an English dub if all the voices were absolutely perfect.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

^ :lol:

I'd like a hand in that (the voice acting)! Who would you play, Marc?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:^ :lol:

I'd like a hand in that (the voice acting)! Who would you play, Marc?
No one, haha. I'd leave it to the professionals. Come to think of it, maybe Harassing Answering Machine Message #4 would be fun as a cameo...

"You piece of shit detective! You remember me, you little punk? But I've got news for you – this isn't over yet! Watch your back!"
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Osiris wrote:"You piece of shit detective! You remember me, you little punk? But I've got news for you – this isn't over yet! Watch your back!"
FUCKING top-notch. After reading lines like that, the pain of waiting is unbearable, I tell you...

Oh, and please don't ever do an English dub, or one in any other language. We all know that giving Policenauts the dub it would deserve would cost millions of dollars (although Snatcher was dubbed by nobodies who did a great job, the chances of that happening AGAIN are practically zilch) and we don't have that kind of money, plain and simple. Please just forget the idea competely.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: little support

Post by Artemio »

waltroid wrote: I tried running an iso of my japanese game snatcher for the ps1 and i didn't worked, it freezed on the playstaton logo.
Try ripping it again, I used CDRWIN without problems at all. I don't like the changes, but I love carrying it ariound =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Ha! My copy of Policenauts finally arrived, after over a month. New and factory sealed.

I could navigate myself through the main menu with the help of this site.

http://community-2.webtv.net/LiquidSnak ... age18.html

However, when I started a new game a question came up and I could chose between two answers. When I chose the second one which was marked to begin with nothing happened and when I chose the first one, the game started. What did this question mean?

Also, when I click on the black screen, througout the game, I can choose to go to a different location or something like that, but there's another choice that brings up several other menus. I've found a save and load function, but what do the other ones means? Can someone give me a rough translation. I know that I chose one of them and suddenly the picture with the five Policenauts and a japanese text appeared and I could do nothing else but to reset my PS2. No matter what I tried I couldn't quit this screen.

Edit: I think I've found some of them out myself.

The second option should be load game, while the third option is save game.

The fourth option simply brings me to the options menu and the last one is "end game", I think. Ad if I choose that, the next question, that appears is "Save game before end?". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now I just need to know what the first option means and what the question means, when I'm starting a new game.
Alec

Post by Alec »

I've got some pretty decent vocal recording equipment...doing an English dub eventually wouldn't be so horrible. I think everyone who would want to provide their voice would do it for free.

I would.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

Man, didn't mean to open up a can of worms about a dub, was just musing ...

Thanks again on the glossary work -- when I beat the game it was a procedural walkthrough, no story, so most of the plot is still a mystery to me. The glossary already helped me get a preliminary view of what Kojima's got in store :cool:

Also, it seems like good luck this will be finished at a time when adventure gaming is making a comeback. Between the DS, new Sam n Max, new fan-made King's Quest finale -- good times. Now I'm just praying Project S IS Snatcher for Wii!
BIG BOSS
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:Now I just need to know what the first option means and what the question means, when I'm starting a new game.
That's the System menu you're talking about. It looks like this:

Card Change
Load
Save
Options
End Game (second option asks you if you want to save before quitting, like you thought)

Card Change allows you to insert different memory cards then select which slot you want to use again.

There are a few messages you can possibly get at the start of the game. Do you have 2 memory cards inserted? Is either of them full? It would help if you can take a photo of the screen.
Ghaleon wrote:Man, didn't mean to open up a can of worms about a dub, was just musing ...
It's okay. We'd talked about it among ourselves a few times before. Basically, it would require a lot of work. First we'd need to find the right people for the roles, and I mean the right people. Then we'd need to make sure they all had access to the same level of equipment to prevent any sound differences. After that we'd need to reinsert that back into the game. The code for the speech would also be set for the Japanese lines, meaning the timing of the subtitles would have to be reset to match the new speech. There's also the fact that the lip synching would be terribly off, and there'd be almost nothing we could do about this. Then if the timing between the different versions is too off, it would affect the music and sound effects too.

As you can see, there are a number of problems we'd have to overcome, and right now the goal is to complete the PS version. The next thing we'd want to do after that would be to at least get the Saturn version done as well. Only then would we want to even think about such an undertaking. The point is it would require a monumental amount of work, and would all that be worth it when we already have a great Japanese voice track as it is? Probably not. A stand-alone radio drama is probably a more feasible option.
krelian

Post by krelian »

sorry if I sound annoying but really don't understand why some people would like to have an english dub

if there's one thing I learnt is that dubs ALWAYS suck, not only for videogames but also for anime and movies....and I'm not talking necessarily about asian movies.
It's just impossible to re-create the same emotions as meant by original actors in a certain particular context

just give up the english dub idea, guys :)
what I'd REALLY like, after the Sat version is done, is a PCE Snatcher patch
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote:Now I just need to know what the first option means and what the question means, when I'm starting a new game.
That's the System menu you're talking about. It looks like this:

Card Change
Load
Save
Options
End Game (second option asks you if you want to save before quitting, like you thought)
Thanks for the translation...but why did they implement an end game option when it doesn't bring you back to the main menu? About the card change...I used this function without knowing what it does but I just have one Memory Card...so that means basically nothing happened?
There are a few messages you can possibly get at the start of the game. Do you have 2 memory cards inserted? Is either of them full? It would help if you can take a photo of the screen.
I have a PS2 Memory Card in the first slot and a PS1 Memory Card in the second slot...it's a little blurry but that's the text that appears. I can take another picture if it's too hard to read.
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

Alec wrote:I've got some pretty decent vocal recording equipment...doing an English dub eventually wouldn't be so horrible. I think everyone who would want to provide their voice would do it for free.

I would.
Seconded.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

krelian wrote:sorry if I sound annoying but really don't understand why some people would like to have an english dub

if there's one thing I learnt is that dubs ALWAYS suck, not only for videogames but also for anime and movies....and I'm not talking necessarily about asian movies.
It's just impossible to re-create the same emotions as meant by original actors in a certain particular context

just give up the english dub idea, guys :)
what I'd REALLY like, after the Sat version is done, is a PCE Snatcher patch
I tend to agree with you, though I have found a few notable exceptions. One of which is the Goldenboy anime series. I think its dub is superior to the original Japanese. But with Policenauts, it's more about the technical side, and if it's actually possible, than how the acting would turn out. People would always have the option to go with the original Japanese voices anyway.

I'd love to work on a PCE Snatcher at some point. The only thing is, you'd need to look at a separate text file for the dialogue sequences (though they don't diverge like Policenauts, so this wouldn't be as much of a problem).
Charlie Johnson wrote:Thanks for the translation...but why did they implement an end game option when it doesn't bring you back to the main menu? About the card change...I used this function without knowing what it does but I just have one Memory Card...so that means basically nothing happened?

I have a PS2 Memory Card in the first slot and a PS1 Memory Card in the second slot...it's a little blurry but that's the text that appears. I can take another picture if it's too hard to read.
I suppose they figured you can just save and do a soft reset if you wanted to go back to the main menu. If you just have one Memory Card, nothing will happen when you use Card Change, yes.

It's okay, I can read the text fine. It says, "This Memory Card only has enough space for 1 save. Do you still want to continue?" Top choice says Yes, bottom one says No. Hope that helps.
Last edited by Marc on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote: I suppose they figured you can just save and do a soft reset if you wanted to go back to the main menu.
But you don't need an end game function for that, you can just save the game normally and do a soft reset at any time, I still don't see any sense in it.;)
It's okay, I can read the text fine. It says, "This Memory Card only has enough space for 1 save. Do you still want to continue?" Top choice says Yes, bottom one says No. Hope that helps.
Yes, it helps. Thanks.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:But you don't need an end game function for that, you can just save the game normally and do a soft reset at any time, I still don't see any sense in it.;)
I know, it does seem pointless, but a lot of games had features like that back then. :/ It seems like a carry-over from the PC version.
Ghaleon
Runner

Post by Ghaleon »

krelian wrote:sorry if I sound annoying but really don't understand why some people would like to have an english dub

Well lots of people who aren't into anime and stuff wouldn't understand why playing a game in a foreign language is preferable. I'm think I never would have connected with Metal Gear Solid, the SCD Lunars or LucasArts adventure games if I'd only played them only in a different language.

I've played tons of games w/ good or great voice acting and is a much better experience to me than it would have been in a language like Japanese, with a structure radically different than ours. Not to mention this is 2007 -- dubbing's come a long way.

I totally understand the opposite POV in any case, but it's not compeltely unfathomable that playing a great story-driven game like this in English would be great as well. I used to make fun of my friend for hating subbed Evangelion, and then I just started realizing in a perfect world it's nice to have both options.

Thanks btw Osiris, I'm surprised you guys got that far even in talking about a dub. I'm really fucking happy a Saturn patch is still your next order of business -- Stunner support! Hot!!

If you guys were up for it someday, I'm sure many many people (+ me) would love a PCE Snatcher translated.
BIG BOSS
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Ghaleon wrote:

Well lots of people who aren't into anime and stuff wouldn't understand why playing a game in a foreign language is preferable. I'm think I never would have connected with Metal Gear Solid, the SCD Lunars or LucasArts adventure games if I'd only played them only in a different language.

I've played tons of games w/ good or great voice acting and is a much better experience to me than it would have been in a language like Japanese, with a structure radically different than ours. Not to mention this is 2007 -- dubbing's come a long way.

I totally understand the opposite POV in any case, but it's not compeltely unfathomable that playing a great story-driven game like this in English would be great as well. I used to make fun of my friend for hating subbed Evangelion, and then I just started realizing in a perfect world it's nice to have both options.

Thanks btw Osiris, I'm surprised you guys got that far even in talking about a dub. I'm really fucking happy a Saturn patch is still your next order of business -- Stunner support! Hot!!

If you guys were up for it someday, I'm sure many many people (+ me) would love a PCE Snatcher translated.
Well I know that I would love that! I can see it happening actually, since Marc says he does like the PC Engine version most. But I bet he will be exhausted after all of the versions of Policenauts are translated, ditto for the rest of the team like Artemio, Plissken and all of the others. :smile:
krelian

Post by krelian »

well yeah
as for any other thing there're obviously exceptions
Goldenboy is a good example, as Osiris has already pointed out
other honorable mentions are Cowboy Bebop and Akira (the original, non-remastered dub)

I know I'm a bit extreme about it. That's some sort of hangup I've always had since I was a teen.
I remember back at the time I got (paying big money) an import laserdisc player cause I just refused to watch Star Wars in Italian or Spanish....LOL

on a total different note:
I used a bit the search function but didn't find anything exhaustive about that
Do any of you guys know if there's, anywhere, a complete list of the differences between the Sat and PSX version of Policenauts??
according to wikipedia there's an extra scene from the PC-98 version and some more sexual content in the Sat version (Other than the Private Collections stuff)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policenauts
is that about it?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Here are all the differences between the PS and Saturn versions. Graphically the two versions are identical except for the anime sequences, which are at a higher framerate but slightly lower quality in the Saturn version.

- Virtua Gun support. Like the PS version, it also has mouse support.

- a Shooting Mode opens up after completing the game. This lets you play through any of the shooting scenes or use the shooting trainer from the police station.

- inclusion of Encyclopedia Mode. This is basically the glossary you see on Policenauts.net, but available for perusal inside the main game at any time. You can search by category, alphabetically, or most recently appeared terms.

- The Private Collection trailers and Kikuko Inoue interview open up after completing the game.

- The music changes when you finish the game a second time. Then the third time it changes to a radio drama-like reel, where you hear music and deleted lines from the game.

- There’s a deleted scene from the PC-98 version restored in this version for the first time, and also a totally new scene in Act 3 (a dream sequence).

- There are several additional close-ups of characters throughout the game. What this means is when you talk to a character, before you would’ve seen them from further away, but now the camera is closer to them, so you get a better look at them.

- There are a few new news stories on the TV.

- There are 4 new breast touching opportunities.

So yeah, the PS version seems a little inferior when you look at it that way, but one of the bonuses is its wider playability (PS1, PS2, PSP, PC, Mac). Saturn emulation also wasn’t very good at all when we made the decision to switch to the PS version. However, it is our intention to move on to the Saturn version after completing the PS version.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Osiris wrote:- There are 4 new breast touching opportunities.
Booyah!
krelian

Post by krelian »

thanks a lot man
for some reason I find this bit very interesting
Osiris wrote: - The music changes when you finish the game a second time. Then the third time it changes to a radio drama-like reel, where you hear music and deleted lines from the game.
I understand your point about making the PS version first
not only is Saturn emulation not so good (anyway I have not interest at ALL in this, since I'm not a romz whore :D ) but modding a Saturn can be quite complicated (modchips are hard to find and a particular board revision requires HIGH tech skills to work with)