Another report on the MGS movie

Discussion related to the most well-known series by Kojima. News, debate and any related discussions are welcome. IMPORTANT Any topics related to MGS4 should temporarily go in the appropriate forum. Please keep spoilers out of signatures too.
MysteriousBob

Post by MysteriousBob »

This will either be:
  • The best damn game movie, ever.
    My personal biggest dispointment, ever.
Not being pessimistic, but I'm betting on the latter. In fact, to be honest I could never even imagine this film existing. Films are only ever based on games that are hugly popular but with little to no storyline content in them whatsoever (Doom, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, etc...).
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Hopefully having a huge film buff like Kojima onboard will help its chances.
Nekura_Hoka

Post by Nekura_Hoka »

Henry Spencer wrote:That may be so, but he did mention that the two Snake's would be brothers and that they may not be twins anymore, I would get you the interview for it, but I really cannot remember which one it was, it was a very early one; just after the MGS movie was confirmed at E3. If anyone can back me up on this, please do so with a link.
I could see two possible reasons for this. First being that the 'double-trouble' twin cliche has been done a few times in movies and mostly so poorly that it carries a stink to it imo. Second, removing the cloning issue may be an attempt to ground the plot a bit more closely to current reality (ie no 70's era human cloning). I thnk this presents issues with the 'genes' theme of the story, though.

P.S. Josh Holloway might be a good choice for the Snakes...
Check out the Metal Gear MSX Translation:
http://www.geocities.com/nekurahoka/
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Osiris wrote:Hopefully having a huge film buff like Kojima onboard will help its chances.
"This movie is trash!!"
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Nekura_Hoka wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:That may be so, but he did mention that the two Snake's would be brothers and that they may not be twins anymore, I would get you the interview for it, but I really cannot remember which one it was, it was a very early one; just after the MGS movie was confirmed at E3. If anyone can back me up on this, please do so with a link.
I could see two possible reasons for this. First being that the 'double-trouble' twin cliche has been done a few times in movies and mostly so poorly that it carries a stink to it imo. Second, removing the cloning issue may be an attempt to ground the plot a bit more closely to current reality (ie no 70's era human cloning). I thnk this presents issues with the 'genes' theme of the story, though.

I've heard that casting choice before. Not the best choice for me. It's got to be Eric Bana, Christian Bale, Sean Bean or Hugh Jackamn, for me, anything else will fail.
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

Henry Spencer wrote:
Nekura_Hoka wrote:

I've heard that casting choice before. Not the best choice for me. It's got to be Eric Bana, Christian Bale, Sean Bean or Hugh Jackamn, for me, anything else will fail.
...sigh...sometimes, I really wish Kojima never retconned Snake to be half-Japanese. None of them fit that bill-- also, Sean Bean's too old.
Big Boss: Snake's my brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) My brother. (Slap) My son. (Slap) He's my brother and my son!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Skycladiana wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Nekura_Hoka wrote:

...sigh...sometimes, I really wish Kojima never retconned Snake to be half-Japanese. None of them fit that bill-- also, Sean Bean's too old.
Does the movie version of the game's story and characters need to be the exact same as the game, though?
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Osiris wrote:
Skycladiana wrote:also, Sean Bean's too old.
Does the movie version of the game's story and characters need to be the exact same as the game, though?
Yeah, besides. I think Snake in MGS4 is much older than Sean Bean, so... ;)
If i could vote who's Snake in the movie, my vote would go to Sean Bean, i think he's one of those few actors who could do it.

I hope that the rumours about Chan Wook Park directing the movie would be true, but i'm afraid that it isn't so because Park is not Hollywood Director. :???:
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I can imagine Kojima saying the movie is a "reimagination" of the game series, so I wouldn't take everything as a given.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Osiris wrote:I can imagine Kojima saying the movie is a "reimagination" of the game series, so I wouldn't take everything as a given.
I believe that is a given.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Nekura_Hoka

Post by Nekura_Hoka »

Snatcher wrote:
Osiris wrote:I can imagine Kojima saying the movie is a "reimagination" of the game series, so I wouldn't take everything as a given.
I believe that is a given.
Agreed. I think its should be taken as granted that many changes will be made in order to make Metal Gear more appealing in a movie format. We players like the series, but they will be selling to a much wider audience. I don't think there will too much concern over certain details being lost in translation. That being said I don't think we're looking at another FF: The Spirits Within.
Check out the Metal Gear MSX Translation:
http://www.geocities.com/nekurahoka/